Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-06-2016, 22:45   #16
pedroeibar1

I’ve come across a new (to me) word “Rippier” as the occupation of one of the two people who had stood as sureties for a 17th century marriage in a town on the south coast of England.

Definitions:
RIPPIER: one who sold fresh water fish at the markets or maker and seller of baskets (Rootschat)
RIPPIER: A person who carries fish inland to sell. (Oxford)

That made me look up the position of bonds, banns, sureties and licences, here, worth rereading as I’d forgotten much of it.

All of which, as inevitably happens, has raised considerably more questions than provided answers.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-06-2016, 14:08   #17
R0C

Has anyone ordered certs from the GRO recently?

In the past, I used to get e-mailed the certs the day after posting off the request form. This time, I’ve been waiting over a week now and still no e-mail.
04-07-2016, 21:39   #18
Hermy

From Dick Eastman

Quote:
Australia’s Trove Online Database may be Shut Down due to Funding Cuts
The Library’s funding comes from the Australian government. The National Library is facing $20 million in funding cuts for the next fiscal year. A leaked email message from the National Library’s director-general projected 22 jobs would be axed next financial year, with more in the future, as a result of the funding cuts. That obviously means cuts in services as well. The Trove Online Database reportedly is one of the cuts planned.
A shame that governments sometimes place such small value on heritage.
04-07-2016, 21:42   #19
L1011

That story is actually from months ago (February) and got regurgitated somehow. Its still under threat; although the election in Australia should given a sufficient kick up the arse to well, whoever gets the government. Labor have possibly beaten the Lib/Nat coalition on numbers but they'll be (vastly) more likely to get support off the small parties and independents
Thanks from:
15-07-2016, 23:47   #20
pedroeibar1

I periodically watch the ‘Ireland Reaching Out’ geno project and it has recently published a list of stories on several Irish people/families that passed through Ellis Island. Nothing amazing discovered among those I’ve read to date, just a common thread in the many stories, usually going to stay with relatives, arriving with little/no money, mostly unskilled, etc. For beginners in US geno some pointers can be found in the texts on where research was done. Free access –here
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-07-2016, 07:17   #21
spurious
Category Moderator

Anyone else taking part in the FamilySearch transcription effort this weekend?
16-07-2016, 09:58   #22
shanew

very busy couple of weeks at work - my 'therapy' was a WDYTYA US marathon ... Molly Ringwald, Chris Noth, Lea Michelle, Scott Foley, Ginnifer Goodwin, Brian Cranston..
(2) thanks from:
02-08-2016, 11:59   #23
pinkypinky

Brief moan: I sent the Roscommon GRO an email to initiate a search in overseas births and army marriage registers. Got a totally useless reply back saying "here's our standard forms, fill them out"....but the forms are not set up for any searches at all, and has no mention of the particular records I want them to search.

**sigh**
03-08-2016, 14:23   #24
KildareFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Brief moan: I sent the Roscommon GRO an email to initiate a search in overseas births and army marriage registers. Got a totally useless reply back saying "here's our standard forms, fill them out"....but the forms are not set up for any searches at all, and has no mention of the particular records I want them to search.

**sigh**
I wasn't aware that they ever offered a search service - you can't even specify in an order that you don't want the cert unless it has specific information. So you end up ordering certs that may or may not be for the person you're looking for.
Advertisement
03-08-2016, 14:58   #25
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareFan
I wasn't aware that they ever offered a search service - you can't even specify in an order that you don't want the cert unless it has specific information. So you end up ordering certs that may or may not be for the person you're looking for.

And we're still all waiting for the online release of the historic state BMDs, even though the legislation is passed and the work done. That momentous day can't come soon enough. To be able to view NI records online has been great I must say.
03-08-2016, 15:20   #26
pinkypinky

Kildarefan: they do offer a search service but it's largely superseded by the way the indexes function online now. They charge €6 (including the cert). In the case of the army registers and the overseas bmds, they have to search for you, as they're only in Roscommon.

Mod9maple: we could always start an email campaign to Heather Humphreys asking her to get a move on.
Thanks from:
03-08-2016, 15:27   #27
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky
Mod9maple: we could always start an email campaign to Heather Humphreys asking her to get a move on.

Sounds good to me. I'm not much of a writer but if someone composed an email/letter I'd certainly send it on to her. Even a prospective date would be nice!
Thanks from:
09-09-2016, 22:16   #28
pedroeibar1

Let's not forget the usefulness of this thread and allow it drift to the nether regions.
10-09-2016, 20:50   #29
Jellybaby1

I'm almost crashed out after a marathon of three days on the trot researching the GRO records. Didn't get to my leaba until 2am this morning. I don't drink, but I can definitely say I feel 'wasted'! But certainly not a waste of time.
Thanks from:
10-09-2016, 21:16   #30
Hermy

Yeah, it was 2 am finish for me too. So much work to do now with all the new certs I've found.
But I've straightened out a few issues where I'd made assumptions based on the indexes alone.
Being able to check all the entries for a given name where there was uncertainty over date and place of event is just brilliant.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion