Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A 64ft 19:5 mtr wave recorded 200 miles off west coast during storm.its on the met Éireann Twitter.

That’s a fair size closh of water

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A 64ft 19:5 mtr wave recorded 200 miles off west coast during storm.its on the met Éireann Twitter.

That’s a fair size closh of water

Just read more on that in the online news somewhere.. Awesome..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Now here's a Red warning. Northern Iceland, tomorrow...
    Violent storm and severe blizzard (Red condition)
    10 Dec. at 17:00 – 11 Dec. at 01:00
    A violent storm, 25 to 33 m/s and a severe blizzard is forecasted in the region. Very poor visibility and dangerous road conditions. The weather is likely to cause transport disturbances and traveling is not advised while the weather warning is in effect. Higher sea levels, waveheight up to 10 m., are anticipated due to storm surge with the possibility of small boats being damaged or detached from the dock. People are advised to show caution and monitor weather forecasts. Traveling should be avoided.

497211.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Now here's a Red warning. Northern Iceland, tomorrow...

497211.PNG

It ain’t no Emma ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just realised, after inputting 'yesterday's data' from Met Eireann into a spreadsheet, that what they have down as yesterday's figures (the 8th) are actually from the 7th. The date updated, but not the data.

Agricultural 7 day summary data report not updated to include yesterday. Overseer on leave likely explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wonder if the weather advisory is in place of a Yellow warning in sure they would have put up one but maybe thinking after yesterday better not

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Wonder if the weather advisory is in place of a Yellow warning in sure they would have put up one but maybe thinking after yesterday better not

:confused:

They say very clearly that the coming wind is below official warning speed.

They use advisories more these days and that is right and wise. They do a great job. And did nothing wrong yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It's a Yellow one now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note : Please post in the appropriate threads and keep this one on topic and for future analysis.

Please use https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058007595 for general winter chat.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058035120 for current conditions

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058035874 for charts up to T120hrs

etc etc

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

degsie wrote: »

Still laughing a few minutes after reading that, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Seen about the jet stream comming from Canada going to be 300kts, what does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I find it interesting that Ali is the only one that has no green anywhere. Even Darwin had a green in Mullingar. Ali was certainly a bad storm for Galway. Never seen anything quite like it for trees knocked. Granted they were still in full leaf.
    Lorenzo is the greenest by far. Storm Brian doesn't get a mention?

Apologies Snow Garden, I remembered for Lorenzo's update that I added Storm Brian (and Hergen from Dec 2011) to the table but for some reason it didn't save in the file. However, I have updated the table now to include both again in the original post. I also fixed some of the provisional gusts for Atiyah.
    Darwin wrote: »
    I think Syran is just posting a sample selection of storms, Aileen and Ewan also happened in 2017.

Correct. Many of them were randomly picked by me because I felt they were notably deep depressions whilst recent ones since Ali have all been added per event.

lcasey90 wrote: »
    Seen about the jet stream comming from Canada going to be 300kts, what does that mean?

It won't be 300 knots, more like 220-230. A strong jet stream can give strong forcing for the development of surface lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

It won't be 300 knots, more like 220-230. A strong jet stream can give strong forcing for the development of surface lows.

Is it a regular occurrence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Apologies Snow Garden, I remembered for Lorenzo's update that I added Storm Brian (and Hergen from Dec 2011) to the table but for some reason it didn't save in the file. However, I have updated the table now to include both again in the original post. I also fixed some of the provisional gusts for Atiyah.

Correct. Many of them were randomly picked by me because I felt they were notably deep depressions whilst recent ones since Ali have all been added per event.

sryanbruen - remind me what's does the green on the tables denote?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Green I think means they didn't reach yellow warning criteria at the locations.

lcasey90 wrote: »
    Is it a regular occurrence

300 knots is not a regular occurence. I'm not sure it's ever been recorded.

gozunda wrote: »
    sryanbruen - remind me what's does the green on the tables denote?

Warrants none of the warning levels so failed to even reach the threshold for yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Perhaps it would be interesting to construct a Storm Index which takes the data compiled by sryanbruen, and assigns 5 points per red, 4 points per orange 120+, 3 points per orange <120, 2 points for yellow and 1 point for greens that break 80. As there are 19 stations, the highest index value possible would be 95, so to bring it to 100 I would go with 6 points for any 140+ red as it would be pretty unlikely that more than five locations would record that. On that basis, these are the totals I get (in order of severity) ... I have estimated Debbie (1961) and the famous storm of Feb 27, 1903 although not the same observation network for them. The "big wind" of Jan 1839 might not have beaten Debbie or Darwin with the spread of stations being what it is, but would have been at least 60 and perhaps over 70. So it should be kept in mind that this is an index for overall impact on the country and not maximum localized severity of any given storm. A better index would probably factor in how long the gusts persisted, perhaps time of year for leaf loading on trees, and maybe population affected although in terms of a natural phenomenon being rated, that doesn't enter into it (the grid probably tends to introduce a population impact variable to some extent although there are a number of isolated coastal locations in the list).

Debbie ____ 74 (est)
    Darwin ____ 72
    Feb27 1903_68 (est)
    Ulli _______ 51
    Ophelia ____49
    Doris ______49
    Erich ______49
    Eleanor ____47
    Rachel _____41
    Atiyah _____39
    Hergen ____ 39
    Erik _______38
    Gareth ____ 37
    Hannah ____36
    Bawbag ____36
    Callum ____ 34
    Diana _____ 33
    N/A 2011 __ 33
    Dirk ______ 28
    Brian _____ 25
    Deirdre ____22
    Lorenzo ___ 15

There are groups that you could call powerful storms, significant storms, average storms, and non-events here.

Atiyah would rank as a high end average storm a little ahead of the pack of those, by this index ranking system.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    It's a Yellow one now

The Marine warning is yellow and always was. The advisory is still just an advisory.

Brutal out here again. Savage, primeval.

West mayo offshore island

Perhaps it would be interesting to construct a Storm Index which takes the data compiled by sryanbruen, and assigns 5 points per red, 4 points per orange 120+, 3 points per orange <120, 2 points for yellow and 1 point for greens that break 80. As there are 19 stations, the highest index value possible would be 95, so to bring it to 100 I would go with 6 points for any 140+ red as it would be pretty unlikely that more than five locations would record that. On that basis, these are the totals I get (in order of severity) ... I have estimated Debbie (1961) and the famous storm of Feb 27, 1903 although not the same observation network for them. The "big wind" of Jan 1839 might not have beaten Debbie or Darwin with the spread of stations being what it is, but would have been at least 60 and perhaps over 70. So it should be kept in mind that this is an index for overall impact on the country and not maximum localized severity of any given storm. A better index would probably factor in how long the gusts persisted, perhaps time of year for leaf loading on trees, and maybe population affected although in terms of a natural phenomenon being rated, that doesn't enter into it (the grid probably tends to introduce a population impact variable to some extent although there are a number of isolated coastal locations in the list).

Debbie ____ 74 (est)
    Darwin ____ 72
    Feb27 1903_68 (est)
    Ulli _______ 51
    Ophelia ____49
    Doris ______49
    Erich ______49
    Eleanor ____47
    Rachel _____41
    Atiyah _____39
    Hergen ____ 39
    Erik _______38
    Gareth ____ 37
    Hannah ____36
    Bawbag ____36
    Callum ____ 34
    Diana _____ 33
    N/A 2011 __ 33
    Dirk ______ 28
    Brian _____ 25
    Deirdre ____22
    Lorenzo ___ 15

There are groups that you could call powerful storms, significant storms, average storms, and non-events here.

Atiyah would rank as a high end average storm a little ahead of the pack of those, by this index ranking system.

Interesting. When Callum hit it hit here hard but I was not believed when I said it was the worst here for a long time.

It was terrifying!

Seeing sryan;s chart; it hit Belmullet full on . It actually tore the coast road up. A local dr published video of it. But elsewhere. tame.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Is nobody going to mention "Storm Bawbag" on that comparison chart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Longing

I know MT you mentioned overall impact on the country and not maximum localized severity. But the big wind of 1839 came across my path yesterday. Researching the history of my locul church. It was been built in 1839. The walls were complete waiting to be roofed. Then the night of the big wind it blow down one of the longest sides of the chapel facing the wind that night. The walls are over 2 feet thick. It set back finishing of the church till 1843. The church itself is in Cavan. Well inland.

I often wonder were that storm would rank in today's charts.

Is nobody going to mention "Storm Bawbag" on that comparison chart?

It’s actually hurricane Bawbag :P way better of a name than Cyclone Friedhelm. Coined by the Scottish at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very interesting M.T.C, though I would add that there have been many 'unnamed' significant storms in the fairly recent past (70s, 80s, 90s etc) also that would make that list and which would put recent efforts to shame. How these would be measured for the index I do not know, but perhaps if a few of us on here who might hold an interest in maybe delving into the stats were each assigned a 5 year period or decade to assess and compare.

New Moon

Using the data I analysed from doing last year's 1997 and 1998 historical posts and MT's index, I get 55 for St. Stephen's Day 1998 storm and 59 for Christmas Eve 1997 storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That Christmas Eve storm was severe here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just didn’t Notice Emma in the storm index from 1st March 2018. I don’t think Emma didn’t have a big impact in terms of wind. But it had a huge impact on the amount of snow it generated In the eastern half of the country with the bitterly cold winds from the East. We had a nationwide Status Red for snow blizzard conditions that evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Recall that Christmas Eve storm as being severe here too. ( north Louth)

As a matter of curiosity where is the closest measuring point to north Louth. Ballyhaise is a fair clip from here, but I don’t recognize anywhere closer.

Advertisement