Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wild Mountain Thyme - Jamie Dornan & Emily Blunt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭golondrinas1

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Maybe "Outside Mullingar" will be looked back on someday as Ireland's "Springtime for Hitler"

Excuse Me I liked springtime for Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Going by the Irish accents I hear in films and tv, I can't even do an Irish accent.

Not a dig at his accent, but I find it funny that in the tv series Warrior, they have an English actor playing an Irish man who's fighting because they're giving Irish jobs to foreigners,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's a good point: further to that, IIRC they used regional English accents to accentuate relative Russian status and social class, which was a neat move. Assuming it was deliberate of course.

All the miners were Scottish, I believe, so I think you might be right.
    I agree about not making actors do accents, tbh. Nothing takes me out of a film more than a bad accent. Holidate on Netflix was a recent example of them just letting the lead actor use his natural Australian accent and it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the story, other than me not cringing everytime his accent slipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 erada

gmisk wrote: »
    Then she is in new york....and no twin towers so it's set past 2001...

Sounds about right. Land Rover Defender, modern John Deere tractor and cattle with plastic tags so you are correct it's 2001 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,927 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If it gets a cinema release here I can see it breaking box office records :p nearly on 10 pages for thread so far and all over the media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

4 pages here. But yeah I was thinking the same. Probably more pages than a lot of better films have after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Saw this on the Today show earlier, and even Daithí O Sé struggled with it. It’s very much geared towards an “Irish diaspora” in the US audience, same as Normal People and PS I Love You before it... and then some -

Not sure where the comparison with Normal People is coming from. There was nothing 'diddly i' about that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Now I truly understand how the people of Kazakhstan feel about Borat....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

joe40 wrote: »
    I don't think actors should change their accents at all in movies. Just act. The TV show chernobyl was one of the most gripping dramas I have seen, it would have been ruined by everyone trying to do Russian accents.

Funnily enough, our own Jessie Buckley was the only one who didn't use her own accent in that show I think?
    Homelander wrote: »
    Now I truly understand how the people of Kazakhstan feel about Borat....

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure most Kazakhs look more Asian than Eastern European too :o

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Funnily enough, our own Jessie Buckley was the only one who didn't use her own accent in that show I think?

Barry Keoghan too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mickeroo wrote: »

There are a fair few Irish actors who I've either never heard their real accents or its been so long I've forgotten. Ide say people got some shock when they head down to Cork expecting everyone to sound like Myers and Murphys TV accents and imagine Chernobyl if Buckley done the whole thing sounding like Daithi O'Se

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

how they haven't colm meaney cast as the dad is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

cosatron wrote: »

Realistically because they had no interest in Irish accents. Of course they know Irish people don't speak like that. The actors involved also know this.

The whole production plays to stereotypes believed by a shocking amount of American people to be actually reflective of real life in Ireland.

It is annoying, but a lot of countries are a victim of this at various points.

Homelander wrote: »
    Realistically because they had no interest in Irish accents. Of course they know Irish people don't speak like that. The actors involved also know this.

The whole production plays to stereotypes believed by a shocking amount of American people to be actually reflective of real life in Ireland.

It is annoying, but a lot of countries are a victim of this at various points.

It's not even the accents that get me, although they are awful, it's the dialogue. Some of the sentence structures are just weird. Even in a real Irish accent they'd sound ridiculous.
    It's actually something I noticed in another trailer this year for a film called Pixie, also featuring bad Irish accents. The main character speaks in a weird way too. I know maybe we have a different way of saying things to the English or the Americans but it's like they're trying to replicate a way of speaking but end up just making it sound like we're just talking s**te.

Cause ide say Meaney would tell them to F off.
    Im sure someone will pop up here with some awful film that I've forgotten but I always thought Meaney picked his roles well

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Cause ide say Meaney would tell them to F off.
    Im sure someone will pop up here with some awful film that I've forgotten but I always thought Meaney picked his roles well
    He wasn't in a position to say anything when 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' did that racist Irish episode linked to earlier but, when his star power had increased in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine', he indeed told the writers to F off when they wanted to write an episode featuring a leprechaun. They changed it. Good on him.

It's not even the accents that get me, although they are awful, it's the dialogue. Some of the sentence structures are just weird. Even in a real Irish accent they'd sound ridiculous.
    It's actually something I noticed in another trailer this year for a film called Pixie, also featuring bad Irish accents. The main character speaks in a weird way too. I know maybe we have a different way of saying things to the English or the Americans but it's like they're trying to replicate a way of speaking but end up just making it sound like we're just talking s**te.

I agree it's not the accents it's "wen he says dose tings"

ixoy wrote: »
    He wasn't in a position to say anything when 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' did that racist Irish episode linked to earlier but, when his star power had increased in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine', he indeed told the writers to F off when they wanted to write an episode featuring a leprechaun. They changed it. Good on him.

I've wrote a bit before on Trek forums to explain to Americans about how O'Brien is a good example of a real foreign character. He likes a pint but isn't a drunk, his best friend is English and there's no controversy or mention of the 800 years and they even do Battle of Britain reenactments together, his wife is Japanese because not all Irish people end up with redhead Coleen's and he gets away with saying feck on TV. He is probably one of the most real Irish characters on US TV because the let the actual Irish man have an input in his character.

The leprechaun story was an episode where peoples dreams come to life and his daughter was supposed to dream of a leprechaun and he said F off so it was changed to Rumpelstiltskin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Pity that Voyager hadn't temporarily needed O'Brien's skills when they departed DS9 and got stuck in the Delta Quadrant. He could have fücked the Fair Haven episodes right off out of the show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Still my favourite, to be sure, is the episode of Murder She Wrote, set here on the Emerald Isle.

A mad mix of made up accents and, ah to be sure now Jessica, paddywhackery turned up to 11.

Quite unbelievable, so it was, to be sure now.

• Advertisement

dashcam123 wrote: »

Walkens is poor but he pulls off some lines really good like when he says he doesn't see a path to leave the farm and he's asked from where to where and he says "from me to you". Did that perfectly imo.

Yeah, bizarrely the few seconds Walken remembers to do an accent it's actually passable. But the majority of his lines he just sounds like Christopher Walken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

“It was he who kissed me!” Yep - an actual line from the trailer

He is busy as Santy for Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

Der's more to Ireland dan dis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Colm Meaney is above that and anyway he was busy doing Paddy Power ads and the Lidl Santy.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He is busy as Santy for Aldi

There's a great Facebook page about him called Roddy Doyle's Star Where the mix his Rabbitte character with O'Brien

wvEc1GN2uwLsTvMB7

Meaney did play a Leprechaun

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

as ridiculous as the accents are i prob wouldn't do a better one if i tried another irish accent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Speaking of outside Mullingar, my favourite tweet so far:

"Wait wait wait #WildMountainThyme is based on a play called outside Mullingar? Mountains? The Flipping Sea? Ridey Men? How far outside Mullingar is this place?"
    Theres a movie from the early 90s called Hear My Song which has the Cliffs Of Moher in Offaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

sky88 wrote: »
    as ridiculous as the accents are i prob wouldn't do a better one if i tried another irish accent

That’s true for me too in fairness. I can do Fintan from along the south dart line, and Deco from the north dart line.

A decent tinker accent maybe. But that’s about it.

Advertisement