Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards.ie Explainer: FTTH and You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats not super important, the NGA platform for multicast works in similar ways on FTTC and FTTH. What we care about is if its OTT or mCast.

Would a better router help?

Swapping an AP for a better one is always of limited returns. They're all power limited so a €200 router can't blast out 10x as far as a €20 one. Spreading the work around works much much better.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ED E wrote: »
    Spreading the work around works much much better.

...but watch out for channel conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Mesh Networking (multiple routers) - Fritz!Box:

with Fritz!OS 6.90 Mesh networking was introduced for all models in the 75xx range, some 74xx models and the 4040.

You can connect 2 or more Fritz!Box routers either by cable or wifi.

- Set the router at your FTTH connection up as mesh-master

fritz_mesh_800.png

- Set the second router up as mesh slave either via cable or wifi (preferable 5 GHz, if wifi)
    - Hit the WPS buttton on the slave, then the master.
    - Done .. the routers have now the same SSID and you can roam between them.

From 7.01 and onwards, you can also connect phones on the slave router and it will pick up the calls from the first router, if you have enabled this in the master.

https://en.avm.de/faqs/integrating-fritzwlan-repeater-into-the-mesh/article/show/3354_Setting-up-the-FRITZ-Box-as-a-Mesh-Repeater/

/M

Im pretty sure I saw a post about SIP details that were previously eluding us there a few weeks ago, cannae find it now.

• Advertisement

Eir w/3rd Party: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105812515&postcount=9443

Well. Settings for Eir, to use it with third party. Thanks to Navi.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

Eir's FTTH DP has four ports, what happens if each of those has been taken by customers and a 5th house wants to be connected?

Eir DP:
    x3lghDA.jpg

Also, how many ports does Siro's DP's have?

SIRO DP:
    IMG-20181103-144027.jpg

BArra wrote: »
    Eir's FTTH DP has four ports, what happens if each of those has been taken by customers and a 5th house wants to be connected?

In theory, an expansion module should be fitted at that point, which adds another 4 ports.

Practically, all premises assigned to the DP are marked as "Ports unavailable" until somebody cancels.

SIRO would be very similar, but their ordering system is different.

You can only order 1 FTTH line per indexed premise with SIRO. (There can be multiple premises on one eircode, but SIRO has to have identified that).

With OpenEir you can order more than one line to one premise. That leaves less ports for others if they haven't calculated enough capacity in.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Is Virgin Media FTTH?
    No, bar a small trial userbase, Virgin use a copper cable designed for TV signals. Its fast at 360Mb with more to give but its reaching the end of its life while optical systems are really only getting started.

Is this true for the recent expansion to more regional towns around Ireland? I know my parents house was only connected 1.5-2 years ago and it would seem stupid to lay copper cable rather than fiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Marlow wrote: »
    A few more providers you can add:

- ChillWifi - OpenEIR and SIRO
    - Lightnet - OpenEIR
    - Northwest Broadband - SIRO

So it'll be worthwhile keeping a list here also.

/M

IFA Telecom are also selling FTTH. Think you need to be a member to avail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Routers:

- Airwire: Fritz!Box, Mikrotik or your own (if compatible)
    - BBNet: Mikrotik
    - Carnsore Broadband: Fritz!Box
    - Digiweb: Fritz!Box
    - Eir: Huawei
    - Fastcom: Fritz!Box
    - Net1: Fritz!Box
    - Pure Telecom: Technicolor
    - Sky: Sky Q box
    - Vodafone: Huawei (OpenEIR) / Vodafone Gigabox (SIRO)
    - Westnet: Fritz!Box

Open to corrections.

/M

With bbnet in Clare and have a fritzbox, not mikrotik.
    Totally unlimited too. Had a daily limit on their wireless but no fair usage on their fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 00998877

Hi, guys, I have Vodafone FTTH and their Gigabox SHG3000. Can I replace it with any router ( Netgear x4s R7800 ) or it has to be a router with a modem built in or am I stuck with their router?

00998877 wrote: »
    Hi, guys, I have Vodafone FTTH and their Gigabox SHG3000. Can I replace it with any router ( Netgear x4s R7800 ) or it has to be a router with a modem built in or am I stuck with their router?

No modem needed, but it has to be capable of setting Vlan on the Internet/WAN port.

All FTTH in Ireland is using VLan 10. If the router can't do that, then it won't work.

Also .. you need to make sure, that your router has the CPU power to process the speed of whatever package you're on. There are lots and lots of routers out there, that can't pass 50 Mbit/s, nevermind 1000. It's not enough, that it has Gbit/s Lan ports.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5 00998877

No modem needed, but it has to be capable of setting Vlan on the Internet/WAN port.

All FTTH in Ireland is using VLan 10. If the router can't do that, then it won't work.

Also .. you need to make sure, that your router has the CPU power to process the speed of whatever package you're on. There are lots and lots of routers out there, that can't pass 50 Mbit/s, nevermind 1000. It's not enough, that it has Gbit/s Lan ports.

/M
    Thank you for the prompt reply. Is there a way how to find out about the Vlan for any router before buying? What to look for in the tech specs for example?

The R7800 is not compatible from a quick look. Typically googling will throw up somebody who's run into it already. Few threads on Netgear Fora and Reddit say the 7800 is a nay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Availability / Ordering

open eir
    An open access network currently focussed on mainly rural and semi-rural premises, however there are approximately 40000 urban premises passed around the country.

There are two main Eircode availability checkers:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

The Airwire checker is probably more up to date and gives future dates of availability whereas the eir one is binary yes/no.

Lovely post! Wondering if the link for airwire checker could be edited as it seems to be malformed or something. The one that worked for me was https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Lovely post! Wondering if the link for airwire checker could be edited as it seems to be malformed or something. The one that worked for me was https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

The time limit for editing the post has passed so I can't change it. Hopefully oscarBravo will be able to edit.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

At your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

would it be good to have a 'glossary' post in this thread (if it hasnt been done already) citing what the abbreviations mean in the FTTH thread and used in the discussion of FTTH / Fibre in general.

I give a couple of examples - what does UG stand for ? - and LL and APQ and other abbreviations that pop up in discussions but where the installers might know what they mean but the average home user doesnt know what they stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Giz1007

All of them, if they have Gigabit interfaces.

The 4040 is not quite as performant when it comes to Gig, but no problem with 600 Mbit/s. 7560 is certifie
    d for Gig. 7490/7590 are their flagship models.

And the new 7530 needs testing first.

/M

Just connected at the weekend with Airwire, using the Fritzbox 7530.
    Rated for speeds upto 300mb.
    Working off the 150mB package, getting 140/28 using 5G wireless on laptop.
    It's a nice router, has a lot of functionality and recommend if your considering one of the lower speed packages.

As an Aside, I was told "informally by a friend" that pole to house has to be via Duct. KN network installer told me about 2/3 of all ducts are blocked.
    I got delivery via pole. Very happy. Now to get rid of Eir phone....

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Giz1007 wrote: »
    Just connected at the weekend with Airwire, using the Fritzbox 7530.
    Rated for speeds upto 300mb.
    Working off the 150mB package, getting 140/28 using 5G wireless on laptop.
    It's a nice router, has a lot of functionality and recommend if your considering one of the lower speed packages.

As an Aside, I was told "informally by a friend" that pole to house has to be via Duct. KN network installer told me about 2/3 of all ducts are blocked.
    I got delivery via pole. Very happy. Now to get rid of Eir phone....

The Fritz!Box 7530 is rated for 1000 Mbit/s on FTTH and capable of 300 Mbit/s on VDSL (supervectoring).

Wirelessly, we would have tested it to do up to nearly 600 Mbit/s with 5 GHz and 802.11ac. It really depends on your own devices, the distance to the router, the insulation in the premise etc. as to what speeds you get.

Also: if your house is 50m or less from the pole, there will be no problem going overhead. It's your choice.

would it be good to have a 'glossary' post in this thread (if it hasnt been done already) citing what the abbreviations mean in the FTTH thread and used in the discussion of FTTH / Fibre in general.

I give a couple of examples - what does UG stand for ? - and LL and APQ and other abbreviations that pop up in discussions but where the installers might know what they mean but the average home user doesnt know what they stand for.

No, that's not the intention.

This thread is intended to be non technical. If we start with the nitty gritty of .11Q or WDM it'll be a head melter for Johnny from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

..... and Johnnys from elsewheres also .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

That's the point lol, the glossary of these 3 letter cool abbreviations knocking around will explain to the Jonnies what they mean in a non technical way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kd82

Bungalows unless TINY should be served by two APs minimum. The nice bit is there tends to be easy attic access to every room.

Your router and ODP are probably at one end yeah? Run CAT6 from there along the attic to the "middle of the other end" and fit an AP like a Ubinifi Light or similar. At 150Mb you don't need to go mad.

So I'm at the "Available soon" stage according to airwire. A bit of work happening on the road but still a few months away I'd say. Similar scenario to above so was hoping to get things in place for the best possible solution.

I imagine the FTTH will enter at front room and I work at opposite end of house (non-linear bungalow). It's been renovated and has Cat5e cabling. I'm a bit thick when it comes to this stuff and I've tried to follow along as much as I can without asking. The Cat5e cables just dangle in the utility room. Is this where I should add a Network router so it will expand things to office? And if so do I add connectors to Cat5e cables and stick them in that router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you have cat5e that runs from the front of the house to you office then you can have the router in the office if you want.
    Just plug the cat5e into the ONT and connect to the router in the office.

kd82 wrote: »

You'll need a crimping tool and male terminations if thats not done.

The utility is great for a cabling hub (comms cabinet), it may not be ideal for wireless coverage though. You know the layout of the house. Distance doesn't matter, walls to pass through do so ideally your APs should be positioned so maximum two internal walls sit between the AP and the furthest user, ideally one.

Say its an L shape and the FTTH will feed into one "tip" you can put the ISP router there and buy one extra AP to go down around the bend in the L. Then a €20 switch in the utility to interconnect all the cat5 thats been run already.

Remember any extensions that were done to an existing structure may mean that an internal wall is really an external wall, often greatly hampering signal transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kd82

tuxy wrote: »
    ...you can have the router in the office if you want.
    Just plug the cat5e into the ONT and connect to the router in the office.
    Good to know thanks, would make more sense.
    You'll need a crimping tool and male terminations if that's not done.
    Remember any extensions that were done to an existing structure may mean that an internal wall is really an external wall, often greatly hampering signal transmission.

Yes, that's the case, old external is now an internal wall. Thanks for the quick reply. Helps a lot. I'll look into the crimping, male ends and comms box for that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

I've just got my 300Mb installed. Does it take time to build up as it's just over 100Mbps at the moment?

Also I have a cable (cat5) running about 150 feet from the new router but only getting about 20-30Mbps from this. Will I need to upgrade this to cat6 or cat 7 to have minimal loss?

Any info appreciated thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've just got my 300Mb installed. Does it take time to build up as it's just over 100Mbps at the moment?

Also I have a cable (cat5) running about 150 feet from the new router but only getting about 20-30Mbps from this. Will I need to upgrade this to cat6 or cat 7 to have minimal loss?

Any info appreciated thanks

I'd bet that you have 300mb right now but will be limited by that cable. You're lucky you can even get the speed you are getting.
    cat5e is minimum for gigabit ethernet.

Advertisement