Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

Gene Wilder used to be my favorite when I was a kid! One of a kind indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Not to out do Robert De Niro, Al Pacino is expecting a child with his 29-year-old girlfriend Noor Alfallah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That ain't right. It's insane that women basically have a realistic ceiling of mid 40s to have children, while men can sire as many as they want into an age wholly inappropriate for child rearing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Men didn't biologically evolve for child rearing, and apparently their common sense didn't evolve alongside social evolutions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't find the mindspace that might persuade an 80+ year old to think, yes, I should have more children. Even if you just throw them at a nanny that's hardly the best, most appropriate environment to raise a child.

I don't know what a 29 year old is doing having that kind of relationship with an 83 year old. Hard to see past the obvious conclusion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mmmmm...if I was Alfredo I'd be getting a paternity test.

Uhhhhh, he makes her laugh? Yeah, it's quite plainly something less than healthy, emotionally and pragmatically. It does act as a convenient preview of DiCaprio's dotage mind you. Can't see that guy ever dating his age. Remember the faux shock when Keanu announced he was dating someone vaguely older than him? Though I don't think many here are championing Pacino, admittedly.

Honestly, I'd not be surprised if it were genuine. As said men can remain active far past women; look at your Mick Jagger or Bernie Ecclestones for instances of rich OAPs fathering children. Did Rupert Murdoch have another child in his skeletor years? Wouldn't be surprised.

I'm pretty sure people s**t their pants regularly over Hugh Jackman being married to a woman 13 years older than him. And there's a legion of chronically online people who want Sam Taylor Johnson hung as a paedophile (although that one is a little weird, to be fair). So yeah, there's definitely a double standard there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some bad news coming from the UK.

Network Distribution, which provides home video sales of archived British Film & TV shows, had reportedly gone into liquidation since Wednesday.

Some of the movies that were sold under The British Film label from Network would be things like The Importance of Being Earnest, Ballad in Blue, Robbery, The Man in The Iron Mask, Around the World in 80 Days and lots of the movies that starred Tommy Steele.

The TV boxsets produced under this company would be things like The Saint starring the late Roger Moore, Heartbeat, Monty Phyton's Flying Circus, The Persuaders, The Professionals, The Avengers, The Bill, The Adventures of Rupert Bear and the Gerry Anderson Blu-rays like the complete series of UFO, Stingray, Captain Scarlet & The Mysterons and Joe 90.

The company run on behalf of the late Gerry Anderson put up a notice about the closure of Network earlier on social media.

What a bolt out of the blue.

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A semi-satirical headline seen on the Daily Mash:

Nation which gave all its DVDs to charity shops now at the mercy of streaming.

BRITONS are having deep regrets about clearing out their DVD collections assuming they would be too busy with new stuff and it would all be on Netflix anyway.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I somewhat the funny side of it from some of that article but it is definitely not reality for people living in the UK at the moment.

A lot of these people living there, due to the severe cost of living crisis, have cut back on streaming services. They do not see them as an essential item when they are trying to pay their huge energy bills.

There is a large section of that population who had once regarded as well paid jobs in the UK who are now relying on food banks to get through their day to day expenses.

Paying for a non-essential thing like a streaming service would be the last things on these people's minds.

To make things more painful if you were trying to buy a title in limited availability from Network at this point.

The prices for buying a DVD or Blu-ray from them has started to increase over the past 2 days as the stock is eventually getting depleted.

I had observed this trend when looking at Amazon and Rarewaves websites from the UK. A lot of the stock on Rarewaves website have lots of 'Low Stock' notices displayed on a lot of Network's catalogue since Thursday.

John Carpenter commented in passing at a conference that a Thing 2 may happen; claimed he was "sworn to secrecy" and sounds like it's very much far from active production.

I'm intrigued how you could recreate that essential, visceral paranoia and tension all over again - hard to make lightning in a bottle all over again, as shown with that prequel film from a few years back.

Id like to see Carpenter direct again, but a Thing 2 shouldn't happen.

Well, in many respects we got a number 2 given that 2011film was a weird prequel/remake/sequel.

I don't think we'll see Carpenter back TBH; he seems utterly done with Hollywood and prefers gigging and playing his music these days.

Well, the 2011 picture was a prequel so it's of a number 0, and in all honesty it wasn't that bad. The let down being the CGI overlaid effects, obviously. But, really, the practicals weren't that great from what I've seen, so I can't blame the producers for panicking about deadlines. But the actual story harmlessly added an extra dimension to the Carpenter movie and it did it quite well. I just don't see a sequel doing that.

But, 1982's 'The Thing' is an almost perfect film and it ends perfectly too. That's where this story should conclude. Making a sequel will only ever be an unnecessary addition to what we have now and you could argue that the sequel was as well. Plus, I have no doubt that everyone will want to go "bigger" and any sequel will end up being stupid.

If I had my way, the 1982 film would be the only one and I'd place a barring order on any prequels/sequels. 😡 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There was a video game on the PS2 era of consoles that acted as a sequel as well. Never played it or looked up the story, as I keep planning on playing someday, so don't know what happens in it.

I played it, fadó fadó in ancient Ireland. It was ... ... welp. A good idea that was wedged into a very generic 3rd person shooter. There was a neat germ of an idea with paranoia and not knowing who in your squad was a Thing. But the game was mostly shooting endless spiders and army dudes. If someone in the indie sphere came back to the concept, it'd make for a cool idea for a horror game.

I dunno I think the practical FX looked great but story was visiting execs freaked out cos the puppets etc looked crap from certain angles - the angles being the ones hidden by shot angles and the basic coverage. so the FX honchos claimed. Anyway, as you said it was fairly harmless and you could tell the makers respected the original in the first place but it just all felt like a flat retread - respect though for ending exactly where the original started off. I'll never truly trust a dog cos of that Carpenter film.

But the problem is like any other sequel of this type: the story is told and idea perfectly formed, the concept now more IP than anything. Any sequel made and you'd either get a nostalgic wànkfest or something trying desperately to hit the cheap seats, pleasing nobody. I know John Carpenter is fairly No Fúcks Given about his work so he'd be no arbiter for any potential sequel. Though the right location and approach and you COULD make a decent sequel. Maybe I could rewrite my totally-amazing Terminator Battle of the Bulge prequel as a Thing prequel instead 😂

It was decent, but far too action based and by the end it got a bit silly. It was ok as a game, but would have made a terrible movie.

• Advertisement

Problem with a The Thing (no wait, is it "a Thing"?) video game is that one touch, one lapse and you're dead (or absorbed, consumed; IIRC it's never quite clear how the organism works). The whole point of the film was that a single cell could be potentially lethal. While Instant death is nearly always a terrible, frustrating mechanic in games at the best of times - not sure you could properly adapt Carpenter's film without having to drop a key part of its original tension. At which point the danger just goes out the window. Maybe if you played an observer? Not actually be a character in-situ and potentially at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not entirely sold on the animation style, nor the very on-trend use of multiverse to tell a new story; feels like something that'll only attract fans rather than anyone new or curious about the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the Oscars are in the process of jumping the shark

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this when the guidelines were introduced in 2020.

I'm not necessarily for them but I also don't think they're going to hinder anyone's ability to make a great film.

As far as I'm aware the vast majority of films that were eligible for Oscars over the last decade would still be eligible under these guidelines. The bar is so incredibly low here that the only reason a film wouldn't meet them is if the people making it are actually massively racist, misogynistic, pieces of s**t who went out of their way to only have white men in every position associated with their film.

Warner Bros Discovery looking to sell off half of it's film, tv and music catalog to raise money reports saying they want $500m for that.

Seems cheap to me when they full buyout of WB was bought for $5.3B.

This takeover seems to have been a bit of a total financial disaster.

Maybe Netflix will end up buying the Snyerverse that fans have been crying out for and continuing it.

Here's an interesting Guardian interview with John McTiernan, former heavyweight blockbuster director - he wot directed Die Hard and a bunch of other classics - before he got put in jail over a wiretapping case. 72 now and probably unlikely to direct at a high level again - though I suppose if George Miller can have a comeback in his 70s...?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mad about the wiretapping... hopefully someone makes a movie of that :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Netflix actually with there International output could be the studio least effected longterm.

They can continue to put out fresh content from around the world.

Advertisement