Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Worldwide Handicap System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

callaway92 wrote: »
    How does it work if playing 12 holes?

Two thirds handicap - is it of your exact or your whole number?

Thanks!

Only 9 or 18 are classed as acceptable rounds for handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Do we know if we can put in "General Play" cards over the winter for handicapping.
    So long as you don't play with placing in the rough or some other 'winter' rules like not playing out of bunkers you should be able to. Always best to check with your h/cap sec first. A lot of winter rules are there to protect the course, so if you're NQ for comps, chances are you won't be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭CFG92

Russman wrote: »
    I haven't followed the last few pages so apologies if this has been cleared up.

When I hover the curser over the two end data points on the graph on your dashboard on the Golf Ireland site, my index is shown as 9.8, its also shown as 9.8 beside my last counting round on the table. Yet the main view up above gives me 10.2 - does anyone know why this might be ? I don't have any missing rounds or anything.

Also, how is the maximum score format compatible with the rules of golf if its a DQ not to finish a hole ? Does max score not count as "strokeplay" maybe ?

The 9.8 would be what your index would have been starting off in that last round had the WHS been in operation at the time. The 10.2 is the revised index after the score was taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

CFG92 wrote: »
    The 9.8 would be what your index would have been starting off in that last round had the WHS been in operation at the time. The 10.2 is the revised index after the score was taken into consideration.

Could be that alright, but I don't think so, the maths of it don’t stack up at first glance. Meh, I’m not that stressed over it, it is what it is, ‘‘twas more curiosity than anything else.

As an aside, it’s amazing how much more “current” the WHS seems to be. Looking back at my scores I only have to go halfway down my second page of scores, so I guess that’s what, maybe 30/35 rounds ago, to see my WHS index was 4 shots lower. Just shows how a run of consistent bad play is better reflected than under CONGU.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Dumb question.

HC index 19.4, white tee slope is 125, playing stableford.

So my playing handicap is

19.4 x (125/113) = 21.46 (rounded is 21?)
    For s/Ford 21 x 95% = 19.95 = 20

Or is it rounded to first decimal point so then it’s 22 x 95% = 20.9 = 21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

higster wrote: »
    Dumb question.

HC index 19.4, white tee slope is 125, playing stableford.

So my playing handicap is

19.4 x (125/113) = 21.46 (rounded is 21?)
    For s/Ford 21 x 95% = 19.95 = 20

Or is it rounded to first decimal point so then it’s 22 x 95% = 20.9 = 21
    Right the first time. It's rounded and then rounded again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Only 9 or 18 are classed as acceptable rounds for handicap

No, I just mean in general if playing a comp etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

callaway92 wrote: »
    No, I just mean in general if playing a comp etc

i don't see any reason why it would be based on exacts, whole numbers were always used and still are for calculating comp handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seve OB wrote: »
    i don't see any reason why it would be based on exacts, whole numbers were always used and still are for calculating comp handicap

Cool yeh

Just wanted to make sure. Was just keeping my own score in my head today and couldn't remember the rule there. Cheers

Except GB&I don't add the "9-hole Course Rating - 9-hole par" part.

so for us it is:

Course Handicap = (Handicap Index / 2) X (9-hole Slope Rating / 113)

So this is incorrect, for 9 hole in the CONGU area we do use course rating minus par.

Curious why it’s used for 9 hole and not 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Should my golf result from the weekend be updated to Golf Ireland website? It's not there but it's on HowDidiDo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Should my golf result from the weekend be updated to Golf Ireland website? It's not there but it's on HowDidiDo.

Golf Ireland will only hold your qualifying scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

RGS wrote: »

Cheers, I thought golf Ireland was the 'one stop shop' will have to go back to using 2 websites going forward.

Must say it was a bit confusing in the club on Saturday re the new handicaps. The machine printed the index not handicap. Then onto the board people staring at it for ages, not exactly what you want with Covid. Then you've to get 95‰ of that. So had people out with the calculator. Didn't help that the lad in the pro shop hadn't a clue. I was telling old lads about the 95 % and they were telling me that's incorrect. I'd say many played off the wrong handicap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

Does anyone know the justification for not allowing you to see the handicap index for your club members like you used to for congu handicaps.

It seems to be a bizarre lack of openness and transparency.

Hopefully they'll revise this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

There is an update coming to HowDidiDo this weekend I have been told

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

blackbox wrote: »
    Does anyone know the justification for not allowing you to see the handicap index for your club members like you used to for congu handicaps.

The mobile app was temporarily working about a month ago and you could look up other members .. I even looked up my brother who is in a different club.

Not sure if that will be available when we get the app released in 2021.

Are you sure?
    Golfnet used to hold them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Seve OB wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    Golfnet used to hold them all.

Checked it last week with a GUI rep.

Also our sat comp is not on the WHS system as it was non qualifying.

The new system appears to be only interested in your handicap and your qualifying scores.

Checked it last week with a GUI rep.

Also our sat comp is not on the WHS system as it was non qualifying.

The new system appears to be only interested in your handicap and your qualifying scores.

golfnet could handle non quilifying scores... a bit daft that the new version doesn't especially when half the golf we play is non qualifying :(

blackbox wrote: »

There is no clarity on this and as no club was ever informed that is would be happening, my guess is they hoped it would be adopted with out any push back. Which is not the case. I would expect to see it as a motion at the AGM in Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bluebb993

Went from 9.4 to 5.9.. Havnt heard of anyone else getting as much of a cut? Is this a bit off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Bluebb993 wrote: »
    Went from 9.4 to 5.9.. Havnt heard of anyone else getting as much of a cut? Is this a bit off?

got cut 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Do you have 20 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Are fourballs still using 90% of the difference between the playing handicaps for matchplay? lowest player goes to 0 and others get 90% of the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

Are most of your rounds in your home club?

If so is your home course a Higher rated one, if so what would be your playing "Course handicap" for the typical Medal Tees?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Back playing at the weekend. First time since the second lockdown and first time playing with the WHS.

Initial experience was slight confusion. Winter comp so I entered on the computer and the machine printed out my sticker, which stated my handicap index. I assumed this was my playing handicap for duration of the round so I took my shots where I had them according to the handicap index on the card. But when I entered my score on the computer at the end, my playing handicap was there, different to handicap index, so I did better than I thought I did out on the course.

Shouldn't the playing handicap be printed on the sticker that goes on your card, and not the handicap index?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Our place have decided to, for winter purposes set our slope to 113 for non qualifying comps. Issue was the difference in slopes between front and back 9 resulting in some people having an extra shot depending on the 9 they played and not wanting the timesheet skewed by people trying to take advantage of the handicap difference.

Result is, everyone will be basically playing off their index, divided by 2 and rounded.

Our place have decided to, for winter purposes set our slope to 113 for non qualifying comps. Issue was the difference in slopes between front and back 9 resulting in some people having an extra shot depending on the 9 they played and not wanting the timesheet skewed by people trying to take advantage of the handicap difference.

Result is, everyone will be basically playing off their index, divided by 2 and rounded.

I know its non qualifying but for 9 holes they should be including Course rating minus Par for the calculation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Printing your index on the card is wrong imo. When you sign in, the computer should know what the tees you're off and what format you're playing and should print your playing handicap on the card.

• Advertisement

Printing your index on the card is wrong imo. When you sign in, the computer should know what the tees you're off and what format you're playing and should print your playing handicap on the card.

We print all 3 on our cards (or will do when we are are back using cards)

Advertisement