Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

16amp blue socket installation

• 28-11-2020 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭

I purchased an industrial size electric log splitter.

I only realised today that it has a blue 16amp power socket.

I called the shop where I bought it and they said I'd really need to install a dedicated 16am socket onto my shed as if I try to connect to regular power it will keep blowing fuses.

Any advice please I'm no expert but I am capable of doing basic electric installation myself.

Would indeed to get a professional electrician to alter the fuse board in the house to accommodate the 16 amp wall socket? I know nothing about fuse boards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I purchased an industrial size electric log splitter.

I only realised today that it has a blue 16amp power socket.

I called the shop where I bought it and they said I'd really need to install a dedicated 16am socket onto my shed as if I try to connect to regular power it will keep blowing fuses.

Any advice please I'm no expert but I am capable of doing basic electric installation myself.

Would indeed to get a professional electrician to alter the fuse board in the house to accommodate the 16 amp wall socket? I know nothing about fuse boards

Yes. You’d need a dedicated circuit back to your distribution board and only a rec can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

What is the total power rating of the log splitter in KW?

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

What log splitter is it look up the manual
    What kw it uses
    Some are 3 phases and can't be used in a house power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Saralace wrote: »
    What log splitter is it look up the manual
    What kw it uses
    Some are 3 phases and can't be used in a house power

A blue plug would be probably be single phase though.

It’s unlikely it would pull more than the 13A if you were to change the plug on it anyway. Should be somewhere in the manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My brother purchased a log splitter in recent times, it came with a 16 amp plug, we swapped out a regular 13 amp socket for a 16 amp one. We recently split a couple of tonne of wood with it without issue.

They'll trip if you lock the rotor.

Clicky

A blue plug would be probably be single phase though.

Probably! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Redy321

Already got a result? I'm also interested

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It’s unlikely it would pull more than the 13A if you were to change the plug on it anyway. Should be somewhere in the manual.

Agreed.
    The ones I have used consume very little power and I would expcet have on a small inrush current when started.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They'll trip if you lock the rotor.

That would be almost impossible to do accidently.

Bog oak.
    Knotty hardwoods.
    Aluminium etc.

Bog oak.
    Knotty hardwoods.
    Aluminium etc.

My experience: The pressure relief valve operated, the rotor didn’t lock.

Edit: Maybe some don't have this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IJI4G2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_FRC0FbCKHMH2A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You could try one of these adapters, and then if it's tripping get the electrician to install new socket.

Lidly-Aldi jobbers take out the breaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IJI4G2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_FRC0FbCKHMH2A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You could try one of these adapters, and then if it's tripping get the electrician to install new socket.

It might work but these gadgets are circumventing the appliance design and requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Check the label for power needs, I’ve seen equipment before having much lower power requirements than 16A connection, I was told they had the 16A socket as used outdoors and the 16A socket/plug has better IP protection than a standard socket...not sure if that was bluster or not.

Advertisement