Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Game Of Chance, 70's road safety film. I just know it from Youtube, I doubt it was shown on tv, seems too long for that. The line about brandy is in part 2.

Voiceover by the late Niall Toibin. Wonder did he do many pifs or safety films like this? The most prolific voiceover actor on Irish pifs of this period had to be Bill Goulding (Rory in Wanderly Wagon). Pretty sure he does the voiceover for Wheres Grandad and John did You Put The Cat Out plus that black and white bus safety one (the one with the line "no wonder the driver is annoyed")

• Registered Users Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Play Safe PIF (the 10 minute version) was redubbed for Irish audiences and shown on RTE as filler during the summer of 1979 and 1980. Remember watching it on a B&W portable in Inchydoney both years (summer holiday).

The long form of Play Safe was flagged up in the newspapers in summer (presumably August) 1979, we were on holiday in Dunmore East and all of us kids in the hotel were herded into the TV room (26" Ferguson Colourstar with fancy touch controls* and six channels) to watch it.

I've regarded annoying kids being reduced to a pair of smoking runners to be hilarious ever since.

* of course this "high technology" was just a primitive membrane keyboard, the sort of thing that got thoroughly slagged off on the Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 computers, and until a few years ago you might have still found knocking around on microwave ovens.

Life ain't always empty.

I was still scared by it though, I was eight! Doubt you'd be allowed to show the likes of that to our little possets now. There was much worse in the UK though, The Finishing Line is a good one to look up, and Apaches. And how could we forget Lonely Water which always seemed to be on UTV on Saturday mornings. No wonder we preferred Swap Shop.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Finishing Line and Apaches both very grim. The roll call of dead kids in the latter’s credits is chilling. Plus when she drinks the paraquat....,

Didn't have UK TV growing up but Im a big fan of stuff like Scarred For Life so have retrospectively become familiar with a lot of their classic pifs. One thing that strikes me is there was an awful lot of of public information films about stranger danger/ warning kids not to get into cars etc. I've been racking my head to recall if there were any Irish equivalents but none come to mind. Does anyone remember if there was anything like an Irish version of Charley Says or generally warning kids about strangers?

• Advertisement

You mean like the classic "Watch out for that dodgy priest" ? :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

You mean like the classic "Watch out for that dodgy priest" ? :pac:

Lol!

It is odd though that they were warning kids about just about every thing else. Crossing the road, drowning in barrels, standing too close to the fire but not about taking lifts from strangers. I suppose Ireland in the 70s was quite close knit and there wasn't the same kind of anxiety about dodgy men offering kids lifts as there was in Britain where stuff like the Moors murders would still have been fresh in people's memory.

Pretty sure the answer is no but I will have a think back.

Remember this mid 90's drink driving one? Dated badly with cringe lyrics "take the Dart Bart" and migrane inducing animation. I seem to recall this caught a lot of flak because most of the options it advocates are (still) only available in Dublin or urban centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

• Advertisement

Does anyone know all the words to that Big John " oh me achin back" one? Was it based on a real song?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Big fat guy in a car trying to put on his seatbelt but was too fat. Shown around the time seatbelts became mandatory.

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Big fat guy in a car trying to put on his seatbelt but was too fat. Shown around the time seatbelts became mandatory.

LOL I remember that. He was trying to reach under the seat to get the clasp and getting angrier and angrier grunting and groaning.

You had to pay extra for seatbelts then (ads would say "price not including seat belts and delivery" in the small print) even though you had to have them when buying your car.

So some people would cheap out and get the old fashioned 'bondage and discipine' belts - and then not use them.

The ad was trying to get people to get the more expensive inertia reel belts because they're far more comfortable and more likely to be used.

I doubt that guy would be considered fat by today's standards :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

Tim in the Fiat Mirafiori also had a serious problem with seatbelts. PIF from 1980/81.

There were was another seat belt one with an Action Man type figure being fired from a catapult through a windscreen. Late 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 davekim

I love to watch Mc Donald Ad of 70's

You've just reminded me of the when the ads about AIDS became a bit more mellow and less scary in the early 90s,which had celebrities like Pat O'Mahony,Hillary Fennell and Thom "The Diceman" McGintey giving advice on AIDS.The series of ads just had each of them sitting down in a darkened room speaking to the camera,with the exception of The Diceman who just held up a sign which read "It goes without saying.Protect yourself.Always use a condom."

I distinctly remember that bitch Hillary Fennell basically blaming men alone for the spread of AIDS in her ad.
    The one with the Diceman.

A later Aids one in this link. Pretty rare this, I only saw it shown once.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KillianM2/status/1304418431664562177

I remember another one for the St V de P with an old man called Gus. Similar theme.

The one with Gus appears here at the 12: 32 minute mark.

• Advertisement

Brilliant find - thanks! Also has an advert for RTE's Greatest Themes LP which I wrote about some years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The one with Gus appears here at the 12: 32 minute mark.
    With the traffic on the Quays going the wrong way.

The 1970s rabies pif has turned up, on an ad break from 1990. Never thought I'd see this one again.

1:19 minute mark

Great to see that again!

Some classic 70s/early 80s pifs have turned up in ad breaks from the late 80s, like John Did you Put The Cat Out. Hopefully some more grails will turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The 1970s rabies pif has turned up, on an ad break from 1990. Never thought I'd see this one again.

1:19 minute mark

Apologies for going off topic, but that Guinness ad is superb... I guess Guinness was one company that could always afford to spend big on its advertising. The rabies ad from the poverty stricken department of agriculture is quite a contrast.

Great to see that again!

No 10 on here. That's three on it marked off the missing list, if you include "put it this way" which was actually British.

https://crookedtimber.org/2007/01/25/toward-a-catalog-of-irish-public-service-ads/

I vaguely remember this one. Dont think I noticed it was dubbed, strangely as its blindingly obvious.

Looks like Del Henney who was in Straw Dogs

• Advertisement

Advertisement