View Poll Results: Is marriage worth it?
Yes 155 45.32%
No 187 54.68%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

12-01-2021, 13:03   #1
Stan27

Marriage: is it worth it?

Is it worth it anymore?
Looking at it from mans point of view, but is there any real benefit for it, which is essentially an expensive party.
I know if things go bad and divorce happens, the men seem to get the bad end of the stick.
Obviously there are are a good lot of great marriages out there so it still suits a lot of people.

Just curious of people’s opinions ?
Advertisement
12-01-2021, 13:06   #2
Castlecomer

There's no right or wrong answer to this question. It's a matter of individual preference.
You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.
12-01-2021, 13:08   #3
Cienciano

It's only as expensive as you make it. Worth it to shut her up about getting married
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2021, 13:10   #4
ThewhiteJesus

For a man there’s no point imo
12-01-2021, 13:12   #5
Church on Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan27 View Post
Is it worth it anymore?
Looking at it from mans point of view, but is there any real benefit for it, which is essentially an expensive party.
I know if things go bad and divorce happens, the men seem to get the bad end of the stick.
Obviously there are are a good lot of great marriages out there so it still suits a lot of people.

Just curious of people’s opinions ?
This is why you get a pre nup.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2021, 13:12   #6
The chan chan man

I’ve been happily married for about 2 years.

We’ve been married for the past 8.
(130) thanks from:
2lazytogetup, ablelocks, Addle, Aisling(",), AllForIt, Andrew00, AnRothar, beertons, Blazer, blue5000, Bradt Pitt, BrianBoru00, cal naughton, Capt'n Midnight, Captain Havoc, captbarnacles, Cee-Jay-Cee, CFlat, Coopaloop, corsav6, Covit, Darth Melkor, DBB, deathbomber, delboythedub, derekeire, Deub, dkod, dmc17, Doctor Jimbob, Dostoevsky, Doylers, drake70, drive3331, Dtp1979, Dublinstiofán, DukeCaboom, Duvet Day, Earthhorse, Echoes675, Ekerot, Eldudeson, EmmetSpiceland, Esho, Farrelk, Fart, Filmer Paradise, FintanMcluskey, FoxyVixen, frash, Fr_Dougal, Galwayguy35, GarIT, gman2k, gogo, golfball37, gormdubhgorm, Hector Savage, howamidifferent, IAMAMORON, Irish Praetorian, IrishZeus, jacdaniel2014, Jarren1, JayRoc, jcon1913, JeffKenna, Jimmy Bottlehead, jimmycrackcorm, KaiserGunner, Kalico92, Kamu, KathleenGrant, kildare lad, Kingp35, klaz, LasersGoPewPew, Lavdogg, Low Energy Eng, luckyboy, Lundstram, Mad Benny, Meeoow, Mike Murdock, MikeOxsgreen, Mister Vain, Neames, never_mind, newaccount2017, nextgengamer, nullzero, Ohmeha, One More Toy, Oops!, Orange Tiny Terror, Osborne, PaddyBomb, PARlance, parttime, Piehead, Potatoeman, Potential-Monke, Purgative, RicketyCricket, rn, RoryMac, Snails pace, Stan27, stratowide, Strumms, sugarman20, Tabnabs, tampopo, tashiusclay, Thelonious Monk, Tork, tupenny, turbostan, Vowel Movement, walshtipp, wexwitch, what the hell!, Whatsisname, whiskeyman, Wibbs, WrenBoy, xzanti, yermandan, _Kaiser_, __oc__
12-01-2021, 13:12   #7
listermint

Marriage isn't for people who ask marriage advice on after hours of boards.

Best off with the single life OP
12-01-2021, 13:15   #8
topdecko

Definitely worth it financially and especially if you have kids together.
Massive ballache trying to organise anything and multiple issues re: CGT/ deposits etc if you are trying to buy house together.
Ireland is very pro marriage in terms of tax setup.

Is still an important institution i think.
(5) thanks from:
12-01-2021, 13:15   #9
Hodors Appletart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cienciano View Post
It's only as expensive as you make it.
This

We got married, has a meal for 40 people and a party for 150, for less than five large.

It was an immense day

We had no religious overtones, just a legal marriage in a building not a registry office, then had the meal and party there.

Felt good to affirm my commitment to my wife in front on friends and family, and for her to do the same thing.

Making those promises in front of everyone had a profound effect on me, and on my view of my relationship with my wife. We already lived together and we were already trying for a child (2 x miscarriages before the wedding), but it definitely felt more solid.

Will that be the same for everyone - absolutely not. But that's my experience.
Advertisement
12-01-2021, 13:17   #10
Stan27

Are they any good in Ireland (pre nups)
12-01-2021, 13:18   #11
SouthWesterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church on Tuesday View Post
They are as valuable as the paper written on
12-01-2021, 13:18   #12
the purple tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church on Tuesday View Post
Not in this country you don't.
12-01-2021, 13:21   #13
eviltwin

My wedding cost less than a grand including honeymoon so it doesn’t have to be expensive.

Personally I could have taken or left it. I don’t see a point on it beyond individual preferences and some people are religious so that might play a part. We did it for legal reasons mainly inheritance tax purposes so from that point of view it was well worth it. Mind you I’m in a happy relationship so it’s easy to think that. I don’t think I could afford to get divorced.
Thanks from:
12-01-2021, 13:21   #14
feelings

If things ever go tits up in your marriage, the law here still favours women. Especially if there are kids involved. Husbands/fathers always appear to get a raw deal.
12-01-2021, 13:23   #15
eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelings View Post
If things ever go tits up in your marriage, the law here still favours women. Especially if there are kids involved. Husbands/fathers always appear to get a raw deal.
Is that really down to the marriage though? Presumably if you settle down with someone and have a family but don’t marry you are in a worse off position.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion