View Poll Results: What do you believe happens when we die
We go to an afterlife (heaven or hell) 15 8.52%
That's it, there is no more 89 50.57%
I am undecided but feel that's the end of it for me 48 27.27%
I am undecided but feel there is some form of continued existance for me 25 14.20%
I don't care or mind 12 6.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

05-01-2021, 21:09   #166
McGinniesta

Who Knows? Nobody.

Who cares? Certainly not me.

I've chosen to keep an open mind on god because we have no idea what happens.

College degrees won't help you there.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-01-2021, 23:42   #167
artvanderlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsaab View Post
Except for those that have come back.

Yeah, but zombies are not the most comprehensible. Plus they are fictional
06-01-2021, 01:17   #168
MikeOxsgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Government buildings View Post
Imagine you are a great storyteller and are asked to invent the story of a super human coming from space.

Would you have your super hero be born in poverty in a miserable stable among animals?

I doubt it very much. The first thing I would do is have him be born in a magnificent castle, with enormous wealth and numberless servants.

Then I would build a story of him giving away gold and wealth to everyone he meets, and people would think he's a fantastic guy.

Instead, he lived a life of poverty, didn't proclaim peace to all, but rather division, and conflict in the world.

Finally, my hero would have one final blast of food and drink for all before he disappears,amidst the cheering of his adoring followers.

I certainly wouldn't have my hero die a bloody and violent death, mocked by a hate filled crowd, be whipped, covered in injuries and nailed to a cross.

How could the story of Jesus Christ be invented? Impossible.
If your "proof" of something being true is based on "fcuk it lads, it must be true, sure who'd make it up"you're outta luck. Similar stories had been doing the rounds for years, they just ripped off bits
06-01-2021, 05:42   #169
Government buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxsgreen View Post
If your "proof" of something being true is based on "fcuk it lads, it must be true, sure who'd make it up"you're outta luck. Similar stories had been doing the rounds for years, they just ripped off bits
It is impossible to prove the existence or non existence of an afterlife.
Thanks from:
06-01-2021, 10:00   #170
MikeOxsgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Government buildings View Post
It is impossible to prove the existence or non existence of an afterlife.
Now you've moved the posts.
Thats a separate point.

And a argumentum ad ignoratum/ burden of proof fallacy - just because something hasn't been proven false, doesn't mean its true, and the onus is on the person making the claim of something existing/true to provide the evidence.
Your view is thus "less valid" than mine until then.
Russell's chocolate teapot good example.
Advertisement
10-01-2021, 21:35   #171
seaniewicklow

Was having a good think about this the other day and it wouldn't leave my mind. Can't imagine that just being it and not seeing how kids lives turn out etc.

Really getting to me the last few days.
10-01-2021, 21:36   #172
Cerveza

Get it out of your head.
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 20:50   #173
Deus Caritas Est

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Is God really that needy, that the judgement is not so much about how you lived and what good you did, but more about whether you acknowledged his existence or not?

So if you did really dreadful things, abusing and harming children, but then begged for forgiveness, you're laughing for eternity.

But if you did great things for other people, and cured the childhood cancers that God imposed on this world, just for laughs apparently, but don't acknowledge his existence, you're condemned to hell for eternity.

Doesn't really seem just or fair?
Your judgment absolutely will be about how you lived. But how you lived includes the matter of did you try to seek the truth.

On your second point, God is a God of second chances. Heck, third, fourth, fifth... up to infinity. Everyone sins. However, if you repent (genuinely - a quick sorry won't do. We are talking about genuine sorrow for sin, firm will never to commit it again and making reparation) why would God, who gave His Son to die for you on the Cross, not forgive you? In the Scriptures, Christ tells the Apostles 'whoever's sins you forgive, they are forgiven them. Whoever's sins you retain, they have been retained'. We have the Sacrament of Confession for a reason. If you repent, then yes you will be laughing for eternity. Not laughing because you cheated God, but laughing because you changed your heart and can now be with Him.

Also, God did not impose suffering on the world for laughs. It is the result of Original Sin:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p1s2c1p7.htm

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion