13-01-2021, 17:03   #661
appledrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
Yeah but they're not hard on your eyes, they're different to normal screens, and very light and easy to hold and portable.
I find books a pain in the ass now.
Also it's so easy to get a book within seconds really for Kindle, I bought one because I couldn't find Watership Down in any book shop in Dublin, I mean ffs.

Only problem is I don't get to show off all my books in a bookshelf when I'm in web meetings which seems to be the done thing now.
Oh I know not same as computer I tried one once but not for me. I love everything about a real book, turning the pages, the feel of it and even the smell of new book!

My husband tried to convinced me one year when going on holidays as I already had an overflowing suitcase + had 7 books to bring with me but even then I wouldn't give in!

I do leave any books I read on holidays there so not carting them back.

A bath bridge is like a holder that goes across the bath that you can put shower gels , balance a book on etc.
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 17:33   #662
New Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
And wtaf is a bath bridge
It's one of those trays you put across the bath to form a shelf.

Like this one, for instance.

EDIT: beaten to it.
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 17:33   #663
greenspurs

The Narrows - Michael Connelly .

(my book has a "bookcrossing" sticker on it. I think people used to buy a book, read it, and just leave it in a public place for another person to find and read - The date is April 2012 , and it was left in dublin)
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 17:36   #664
New Home

That's lovely! There were whole websites dedicated to stuff like that. People used to do the same with journals - kind of fill a page, travel somewhere, leave it somewhere it can be found, post its location on a dedicated website and wait for the next person to do the same. You could then track its travels across the world.

Have you tried looking at websites like this one?

EDIT: Actually, scrap that, according to their official FB page, their website seems to be down at the moment. https://www.facebook.com/BookCrossingOfficial

Last edited by New Home; 13-01-2021 at 17:47.
13-01-2021, 18:15   #665
completedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Home View Post
It's one of those trays you put across the bath to form a shelf.

Like this one, for instance.

EDIT: beaten to it.
Good for about 9 minutes and then the water gets lukewarm.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 18:34   #666
Fann Linn

Daughter got me The Complete works of George Orwell. I've started 'Burmese Days'. A story set in a fictional town in Burma, allegedly based on the actual place Orwell was stationed in 1927 as a policeman.

Story tells the tale of British imperialism and native cronyism, swindling etc. Plenty of use of the 'N' word and from what I've read so far it paints a fairly obnoxious view of British colonialism.
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 18:43   #667
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fann Linn View Post
Daughter got me The Complete works of George Orwell. I've started 'Burmese Days'. A story set in a fictional town in Burma, allegedly based on the actual place Orwell was stationed in 1927 as a policeman.

Story tells the tale of British imperialism and native cronyism, swindling etc. Plenty of use of the 'N' word and from what I've read so far it paints a fairly obnoxious view of British colonialism.
Keep the aspidistra flying is very good too, Gordon Comstock is a great character.
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 18:43   #668
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

The Rise & Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy. Does a sterling job of explaining why various empires and nations have ascended and declined relative to each other.
(3) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 19:02   #669
New Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by completedit View Post
Good for about 9 minutes and then the water gets lukewarm.
The water in the glass, probably, but you can start with adding ice to it before you start soaking. And BTW, I can get a good 45 mins in the tub before the water starts to cool. But that's with or without the tray.

I've been reading (in the bath) The Wheel of Fortune, an old book by Susan Howatch. I loved her more recent series, I thought this would be good, too, but I really can't find any redeeming features in it, I'm afraid. Still, only a couple of chapters to go, I might as well finish it.
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 20:12   #670
megaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fann Linn View Post

If it includes Down and Out in Paris and London its well worth reading.
13-01-2021, 22:16   #671
breezy1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Home View Post
The water in the glass, probably, but you can start with adding ice to it before you start soaking. And BTW, I can get a good 45 mins in the tub before the water starts to cool. But that's with or without the tray.

I've been reading (in the bath) The Wheel of Fortune, an old book by Susan Howatch. I loved her more recent series, I thought this would be good, too, but I really can't find any redeeming features in it, I'm afraid. Still, only a couple of chapters to go, I might as well finish it.

Be honest how often is there water in that glass ?
13-01-2021, 22:31   #672
New Home

In my case, it'd probably be juice or a cuppa, I'd be at risk of drowning if I drank.
Thanks from:
16-01-2021, 09:03   #673
Foweva Awone

This may be a stupid question... I have Kindle Unlimited, and I've downloaded a couple of books that I really enjoyed and I know my mum would love too... She doesn't have Kindle Unlimited, but I was wondering if there might be a way I can share them to her Kindle? (We don't live close by, so literally lending her my Kindle isn't an option!)
16-01-2021, 09:35   #674
fixXxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foweva Awone View Post
This may be a stupid question... I have Kindle Unlimited, and I've downloaded a couple of books that I really enjoyed and I know my mum would love too... She doesn't have Kindle Unlimited, but I was wondering if there might be a way I can share them to her Kindle? (We don't live close by, so literally lending her my Kindle isn't an option!)
Just give her your log in details.
16-01-2021, 09:44   #675
Foweva Awone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixXxer View Post
Just give her your log in details.
But it's my Kindle that's linked to the account... Or can you link more than one device?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion