13-01-2021, 17:58   #331
Mister Vain

The obligatory extortionate drinks for the girls in strip clubs is another one.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 19:35   #332
pgj2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Hartman View Post
I was approached about 3 years ago by what looked like a Buddhist monk on Abbey Street, Dublin. He smiled and he put a beaded bracelet on my wrist. He then produced a notebook wishing for me to write my name down and to give him €5 towards the bracelet. I was taken back by this so I just gave in a euro instead. I walked away and left him there with a face like thunder. I thought it was quite a cheeky tactic he used, his little scam backfired on him though.

I also stupidly called a gutter repair "company" I found online. I should have known something was up because he had a rather put on posh accent. Anyway on the day of the appointment 4 big guys turn up in a white van and they ask to have a look at the attic. They tell me that there's damage inside the attic and they say that they can do a sealing job for €2k. When I objected the guy with the "posh" accent tells me that they can do a temporary job with a six month guarantee for €1k instead. I told them rather firmly that all I wanted done was my gutter. He changes to a surly tone and does the guttering instead, charging €70. The gutter was still leaking afterwards so I don't think himself and his four cronies actually done anything. They were obviously just along as an intimidatory tactic to try and bully me into accepting their original offer. I was afraid to report them afterwards in case they came around at a later date and burgled my house. I was kicking myself afterwards for being so naive and gullible to hire someone like that. Next time I'll ask for a local recommendation on Facebook. My Dad done the guttering a week later and he saw no damage whatsoever when he checked the attic, neither did the surveyor when I was in the process of buying the house. It was obviously a total scam and the big guys were brought along to try and intimidate me. Utter scum!

Is the bit in bold a joke?

Have you never seen cowboy builders? Most of the time the cowboys are recommended by some so called friends.
13-01-2021, 19:36   #333
Airyfairy12

When I was about 21 I was applying for Summer jobs with no luck and getting really desperate. I finally got contacted by a local Pixiphoto to come in for an interview, I was over the moon as out of all the jobs id applied for, most of them where retail, waitressing, this one job that I got called for an interview was related to photography which I was really interested in.
So I went in and a woman not much older than myself is giving the interview on her own. Its not so much an interview, she says she wants to give me a trial straight away but hands me loads of leaflets and tells me to stand outside, hand them out and try to get people to book in for portraits, she had a book with a pen on a table already set up in the spot she wanted me to stand and she'd come back out to me and if I had enough people signed up id get a job.
Desperate for work and a bit naive I went along with it. The photography shop was attached to a mothercare and as I was standing outside the mothercare shop I could hear the women working there talking about me and how I wasn't even trying and talking about how I look, just being b!tches in general.
After an hour and a half the woman didnt seem to be coming back out to me so I went into her, she told me I was to stand there till 1pm, another 2 hours. Needless to say I didnt get the job.
The next week I was walking past the shop and noticed a woman standing outside handing out leaflets. A few weeks later my friends brother got called for an interview and was told stand outside and hand out leaflets. It turned out they called people for 'job interviews' so they could get people to work for them for free for a couple of hours. No doubt they had someone new to hand out leaflets straight away after I had left.
The companies closed down now but since closing, loads of former staff and customers came forward about how badly they were treated by the company.
13-01-2021, 19:44   #334
pgj2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airyfairy12 View Post
When I was about 21 I was applying for Summer jobs with no luck and getting really desperate. I finally got contacted by a local Pixiphoto to come in for an interview, I was over the moon as out of all the jobs id applied for, most of them where retail, waitressing, this one job that I got called for an interview was related to photography which I was really interested in.
So I went in and a woman not much older than myself is giving the interview on her own. Its not so much an interview, she says she wants to give me a trial straight away but hands me loads of leaflets and tells me to stand outside, hand them out and try to get people to book in for portraits, she had a book with a pen on a table already set up in the spot she wanted me to stand and she'd come back out to me and if I had enough people signed up id get a job.
Desperate for work and a bit naive I went along with it. The photography shop was attached to a mothercare and as I was standing outside the mothercare shop I could hear the women working there talking about me and how I wasn't even trying and talking about how I look, just being b!tches in general.
After an hour and a half the woman didnt seem to be coming back out to me so I went into her, she told me I was to stand there till 1pm, another 2 hours. Needless to say I didnt get the job.
The next week I was walking past the shop and noticed a woman standing outside handing out leaflets. A few weeks later my friends brother got called for an interview and was told stand outside and hand out leaflets. It turned out they called people for 'job interviews' so they could get people to work for them for free for a couple of hours. No doubt they had someone new to hand out leaflets straight away after I had left.
The companies closed down now but since closing, loads of former staff and customers came forward about how badly they were treated by the company.

Clever scam in a way. They probably used jobBridge when it was available. 9 months to learn the art of handing out leaflets.
(3) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 19:46   #335
Airyfairy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj2015 View Post
Clever scam in a way. They probably used jobBridge when it was available. 9 months to learn the art of handing out leaflets.
No doubt they did, sure jobsbridge was the biggest scam ever.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 19:55   #336
pgj2015

Quote:
No doubt they did, sure jobsbridge was the biggest scam ever.

It sure was. I remember subway trying to hire sandwich artists for 9 months through it. it was a disgrace how the employer didn't even have to throw you 50 euro a week for working for them, I think they were actually paid to employ you. And small businesses couldn't avail of the scam, I mean scheme.
13-01-2021, 19:56   #337
akelly02

It's ok, you can blow inside me , I'm on the pill.
13-01-2021, 20:01   #338
Airyfairy12

Quote:
It sure was. I remember subway trying to hire sandwich artists for 9 months through it. it was a disgrace how the employer didn't even have to throw you 50 euro a week for working for them, I think they were actually paid to employ you. And small businesses couldn't avail of the scam, I mean scheme.
Yes, I remember centra doing the same and the Department of education and skills were advertising for qualified teachers through it.
How it was legal is mind boggling?!
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 20:07   #339
pgj2015

Quote:
Yes, I remember centra doing the same and the Department of education and skills were advertising for qualified teachers through it.
How it was legal is mind boggling?!

They just got away with it because the country wasnt doing well to say the least, half the country was unemployed, places like super value used it when it should have been made available to small businesses. Sure I remember a thread on here where someone was actually working for free(not even on jobBridge) for some people in her local town, all the staff including the boss started ringing in sick and the woman working for free was running the company lol,she had customers ringing up or calling in eating the head off her about different issues. That shows you how peoples desperation for a job was used against them.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 20:09   #340
Purple Mountain

Quote:
They just got away with it because the country wasnt doing well to say the least, half the country was unemployed, places like super value used it when it should have been made available to small businesses. Sure I remember a thread on here where someone was actually working for free(not even on jobBridge) for some people in her local town, all the staff including the boss started ringing in sick and the woman working for free was running the company lol,she had customers ringing up or calling in eating the head off her about different issues. That shows you how peoples desperation for a job was used against them.
And unfortunately people who found themselves unemployed felt almost compelled to participate in these schemes and scams to keep up their skill set and avoid CV gaps.
13-01-2021, 21:30   #341
skooterblue2

Quote:
They were hiring teachers through JobsBridge until the Unions said a hard no.
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 21:35   #342
kerryjack

Bought a colour tv out of the boot of a car on a building site in west Dublin 30 years ago fully wraped and in a box, this was a time when a tv could cost a 6 or 700 pounds, never worked probably paid 100 quid for it cant remember but I was fairly peed off.
14-01-2021, 00:27   #343
darragh o meara

Not so much fell for it but was subject to it.

Recently was looking through my online banking account and noticed a transaction to Ebay USA that I hadnt made, when I looked further into it there was a number of transactions totaling about 1000 euro and that they had been taken through my Paypal Account.

Straight off the bat, I tried to log into Paypal to see what they were about and found that I couldn't get access, trying to reset the password gave me an error that the account didn't exist etc. So not getting anywhere there, I went into my email and eventually found emails for the purchases and also an Account termination email, surprisingly these were in the deleted folder and a rule setup that automatically deleted emails from Paypal which made me realise that I had been hacked and that I had in fact been using the same password for both. Here's when the fun started, Paypal didn't want to know about it as I no longer had an account with them and when I managed to get through to someone ( Extremely difficult to speak to anyone in Paypal at the moment) I had to repeat my story from start to finish every time I called. In the end after 15+ phone calls and countless hours spent explaining the situation, on hold, supplying this that and the other etc. I got fed up and rang Joe Duffy's team for the crack, they contacted me back and took all the details and obviously contacted Paypal because low and behold a Paypal manager contacted me later that day and sorted everything in 10 mins.

Long and the short of the scam,

Scammer gained access to my Paypal and email.
Changed the address on the account.
Spent what he could before the payments got stopped.
Closed my account so I couldn't dispute the payments or stop them for that matter.
Fixed my email account so I wouldn't find the emails easily.

BTW: I managed to get the scammers name and address as one of the items he purchased needed to be in his name and he added it to the order. I spent an idle day while isolating looking up and signing him up for every bit of religious literature/ home visits I could find, pretty much anything I could do to annoy the life out of him for a while.

Moral of the story, with anything you want to keep safe setup 2 factor authentication. In this case my password was pretty strong and as random as you can get, letters, upper/lower case, symbols the lot.

Last edited by darragh o meara; 14-01-2021 at 00:43.
14-01-2021, 00:33   #344
Purple Mountain

^ I totally feel your pain.
I fell foul to someone unscrupulous that I paid via PayPal. I automatically thought, great, PayPal, I have protection.
Everything you describe above I went through.. countless emails, repeating myself over and over, never getting same person, conflicting information etc etc. Went on for about two months.
In the end, I actually thought they were ripping the pee out of me because no company could be that pathetic.
In the end, I got my money back that I proved I was owed (onus on me of course) and it was like I was a huge burden to them.
I actually do have a number for the supposed unscrupulous seller and like you I was thinking of playing mischief but I'd no way of knowing if that was even his correct contact details.
Thanks from:
14-01-2021, 00:39   #345
darragh o meara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Mountain View Post
I actually do have a number for the supposed unscrupulous seller and like you I was thinking of playing mischief but I'd no way of knowing if that was even his correct contact details.
Cant be certain if I had the right fella myself but his instagram profile showed him with one of the personalised items he purchased , coincidence or not it was too good an opportunity to pass up on

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion