08-08-2019, 13:32   #1
mr_fegelien
Banned

Worst scam you've fallen for

or almost fell for. A couple years back, I got the "gardai virus" (type of scareware) on my laptop which said I'd need to pay €150 to unlock my laptop. I stupidly entered my debit card details and on the weekend, found that not just €150 but 300 was taken from account leaving me with just €20. Canceled the card and reported it to the bank who unfortunately couldn't refund it.

Friends werea a bit shocked as they said I'm a computer nerd but they themselves have also fallen victim to ponzi schemes etc and one even lent his camera to a stranger who ran off in Tanzania...
Advertisement
08-08-2019, 13:36   #2
Bigbagofcans

Prince in Nigeria
08-08-2019, 13:38   #3

‘Lending’ all my confirmation money to my mother in 1985

Turns out it wasn’t a ‘loan’ as I never got it back.... #bitter
(169) thanks from:
20/20, 3rdDegree, 5star02707, aaronc182, ActingDanClark, Airyfairy12, AlanG, alexw, Andrew00, bada_bing, banie01, Bassboxxx, bennyineire, Blazer, bubbles o hara, bubblypop, cannotlogin, Capt'n Midnight, Catmaniac, CCP24, Cee-Jay-Cee, charlietheminxx, Chinasea, Comic Book Guy, Conall Cernach, D3V!L, Dave147, davidk1394, deadlineday, DeBurca, deceit, deodub, Deub, dexter647, drive3331, Dub Ste, DubDJ, dublinman1990, Earthhorse, easygoing39, Ectoplasm, edeldonlon, Ekerot, Emersyn Tiny Wood, Enright, FanadMan, Fiolina, Four Phucs Ache, frash, G1032, gimli2112, Glico Man, gmisk, gogo, gozunda, Guerillabear, Guffy, Gwen Cooper, Hangdogroad, happyoutscan, harry Bailey esq, Hello 2D Person Below, heretothere, Homer J. Fong, housetypeb, howamidifferent, HugsiePie, IK09, irishgirl19, IrishGrimReaper, IrishZeus, jahalpin, jimmii, jt69er, Kablamo!, Kalico92, kanadams123, Ken., Kerplunk124, Kevhog1988, KevRossi, King of Kings, Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime, Leg End Reject, Lenny17123, lillielad, LithiumKid1976, lmimmfn, Lollipops23, Lonestar1, Loomis, Lotus Flower, maebee, Mam of 4, marcusgunn, MarkY91, martingriff, Matta Harri, Maz2016, mbradso2003, mcgucc22, mightybashful, Moomoomacshoe, Murt10, new Author, New Home, Nigzcurran, o1s1n, PaddyBomb, Panrich, Peregrine, play4fun1, porker36, Psychlops, radiotrickster, Redneck Reject, Rezident, RhubarbCrumble, riggerman, Roanmore, robbie67, Ronin247, RoryMac, Rubberlegs, saintsaltynuts, Samsgirl, SecretsOfEarth, shakencat, shalclon, shane14, Sir Osis of Liver., skittles8710, Slideways, SmallTeapot, snoopsheep, Stephen Gawking, Stoner, Sudden Valley, sunbeam, Super hoop, SuperS54, SuperSean11, Tabnabs, Taiga, TaurenDruid, tayto lover, TECH85, thalia_13, tHE vAGGABOND, thedeiseman, Thespoofer, TheValeyard, the_syco, Tiercel Dave, Tommybojangles, Tony H, Toots, topper75, touts, ToxicPaddy, twowheelsonly, vickers209, Vowel Movement, whiskeyman, Whocare, wiggle16, WoollyRedHat, WrenBoy, xzanti
08-08-2019, 13:41   #4
B.A._Baracus

fortunately, *touch wood*, I have never fallen to any of these.
I remember that Garda one. Got it myself. They used the Garda insignia too. Douchebags.
I was a little freaked ou for a minute or so but quickly realised why on earth would the police be looking for money to unlock.
Advertisement
08-08-2019, 13:42   #6
BrokenArrows

When I was 12 I was selling strawberrys on the side of the road. Some older kid conviced me that we was collecting the cash for the manager. Almost immediately after he left I realised how stupid I was.
08-08-2019, 13:42   #7
GBX

Lad I worked with got caught with the top of the range laptop from a car sale. Expensive argos book purchase!
(4) thanks from:
08-08-2019, 13:42   #8
BrokenArrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Shock View Post
Bought a bit of hash off a fella in a pub down past Connolly station on the quays years ago (What could go wrong).
He dissapeared and I was left with a square of Cadburys chocolate wrapped in tin foil...
Bastard!
At least you got some name brand chocolate.
08-08-2019, 13:45   #9
magic_murph

Ex-Wife - said she would love me and the 5 kids forever.She took half my money and is now shacked up with a Nigerian prince.
Advertisement
08-08-2019, 13:45   #10
sugarman

None, because I'm not a gullible moron!
08-08-2019, 13:45   #11
Boom_Bap
Landfill

Quote:
Bought a bit of hash off a fella in a pub down past Connolly station on the quays years ago (What could go wrong).
He dissapeared with my 50 euro, and I was left with a square of Cadburys chocolate wrapped in tin foil...
Bastard!

Did you at least eat it?
08-08-2019, 13:46   #12
wally1990

Not an offical scam but I felt like an idiot and robbed due to my own stupidity

In new York, wrecked from.shopping all.day with herself and sick of shops plus walking!!

I was standing outside some.clothing store while herself was inside

Outside the store there was this beauty stall [hand wash, facial creams, etc]

Anyway this sales woman walks over to me and grabs my arm and basically says oh come try our hand wash ****e etc

So tired and unwilling to decline I went about 5 feet away

So 2 min later im washing my hands into a basin and sure doesn't the water look off colour [prob eating, touching money etc all day] and she is look oh great cleaning product bla bla

Then she rubs some creams on my hand while bigging up the product and its natural origins and ****e

Im a male and couldnt give a f to be honest

Anyway , im half alseep and she is like 'will you take a bit for you and the wife and I asked how much?

50 dollars she said

And why the **** I didn't walk away then i dunno

Handed 50 quid for bascially a bar of soap and cream

Wife comes out and big smile oh what did you buy

I just handed her the bag in my own disgust and said lets not talk about it

I hated myself for blowing 50 dollars but being so tired I just wanted that woman to **** off

5 years ago and still annoys me
08-08-2019, 13:46   #13
mr_fegelien
Banned

Quote:
He dissapeared with my 50 euro, and I was left with a square of Cadburys chocolate wrapped in tin foil...
Bastard!
Is it not €30 for a bar now? €50 for an eighth ounce of weed....but what do I know
08-08-2019, 13:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fegelien View Post
Is it not €30 for a bar now? €50 for an eighth ounce of weed....but what do I know
I wouldn't have a clue these days tbh..
08-08-2019, 13:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Bap View Post
Did you at least eat it?
Na, it got hurled into the Liffey

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text