View Poll Results: Do you agree with minimum alcohol pricing?
I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland. 331 21.75%
I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government. 1,191 78.25%
Voters: 1522. You may not vote on this poll

13-01-2021, 15:11   #4621
10000maniacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Reeves View Post
Yes but minimum pricing will have little effect on those that drink for nutritional benefit. Those that drink in moderation or not at all will see those that drink excessively pay more tax. This reduces the tax burden on moderate drinkers.
You are really missing the point there.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 15:31   #4622
Snickers Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers Man View Post
If this means that I no longer get my "four for the price of three" bottles of my beloved Guiness West Indian Porter, I'll be pissed off!
Individually priced at €3.20 (down from €3.50 as was AFAIR) so effectively a €0.70 cent per bottle price rise, given that I only ever bought them in fours because, well, why wouldn't you?

I'M PISSED OFF!!!!

How do we go about "defunding" AAI?
13-01-2021, 16:21   #4623
denartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post
I don't see why people are upset about this.
You don't understand why people are annoyed about something being more expensive today than it was this day last week? Really?

Quote:

I love a few pints etc. More in the pub but since lockdown more at home.

I think over the last 6 months I've probably been drinking more over the course of a week than I normally would.
And?

Quote:
Either way, alcohol is not really good for us
Source for this?

Quote:
and having it separated in shops is a good thing.
Why?

Quote:
Not so much for adults now but for future generations where alcohol won't be just considered a normal product like it has done for years.
By years you mean thousands yes?

Quote:
I can remember similar outcries of nanny statie approaches when other new laws came in such as wearing seat belts, drink driving restrictions and smoking bans and now they're all accepted as normal and we wouldn't change the laws.
Seat belts and drink driving laws make sense though. This doesn't.

Quote:
I completely understand people being cynical of this in relation to lobbying and protecting of pub trade but I think in the long term Ireland would benefit by changing its relationship with alcohol somewhat and people would be healthier, social and domestic problems would ease also.
Drinking in ireland has been decreasing for years already. We'd be healthier and happier if the laws got enforced and and the people causing misery got sent to jail.
13-01-2021, 16:27   #4624
Quackster

Mod: Kerry, ZTest
Quote:
Individually priced at €3.20 (down from €3.50 as was AFAIR) so effectively a €0.70 cent per bottle price rise, given that I only ever bought them in fours because, well, why wouldn't you?
Picked some up for €2.60 each in Dunnes yesterday. Shop around!
(3) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 18:20   #4625
Snickers Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackster View Post
Picked some up for €2.60 each in Dunnes yesterday. Shop around!
Good to know. The Retail Empires Strike Back, or at least some of them do.

Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 22:35   #4626
Quackster

Mod: Kerry, ZTest
Quote:
Good to know. The Retail Empires Strike Back, or at least some of them do.

Actually, 'twas Sunday. My last time throwing a few beers in with the shopping to get me over the €50! They'd already changed their pricing at that stage though.

Was going to pick up a few Leann Folláin but they're now €2.80 each.
13-01-2021, 23:43   #4627
Potential-Monke

*Checks in on thread*

*People giving out that this is a measure being introduced that will penalise everyone even though the vast majority of drinkers have self control and cop on*

*Smiles and lights joint*

*Leaves thread*
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2021, 23:53   #4628
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackster View Post
Actually, 'twas Sunday. My last time throwing a few beers in with the shopping to get me over the €50! They'd already changed their pricing at that stage though.

Was going to pick up a few Leann Folláin but they're now €2.80 each.
It's all going up .

Exactly as I said it would.

Smart move by the vintners lobbying for this. Push more people to home brew and after covid most won't be able to open again. Doors closing all over the place. They've really managed to punish their consumers.

Silly silly boys.
14-01-2021, 01:15   #4629
Suckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post
I don't see why people are upset about this.
I love a few pints etc. More in the pub but since lockdown more at home.
I think over the last 6 months I've probably been drinking more over the course of a week than I normally would.
Either way, alcohol is not really good for us and having it separated in shops is a good thing. Not so much for adults now but for future generations where alcohol won't be just considered a normal product like it has done for years.
I can remember similar outcries of nanny statie approaches when other new laws came in such as wearing seat belts, drink driving restrictions and smoking bans and now they're all accepted as normal and we wouldn't change the laws.
I completely understand people being cynical of this in relation to lobbying and protecting of pub trade but I think in the long term Ireland would benefit by changing its relationship with alcohol somewhat and people would be healthier, social and domestic problems would ease also.
There are so many issue I have with your post, that I am genuinely having trouble trying to pick where to start.
The first three sentences are all about you, and the fact that you find yourself drinking more than normal or possibly out of moderation, also during the weirdest, most unsociable time of our lives - and you can't see why 'people' would be upset with it going up. The same people that don't abuse drink? The same that don't have issues? Just because you do.
You should take a look at how lockdown is affecting you, not the alcohol. If you are turning to alcohol to get through it, or relieve boredom etc. and aren't happy with it, then that is down to you and you alone. If you cannot control it, seek help, don't blame others, or stores because they sell it and you can afford it.

If you think that this will not encourage the younger generation to start taking cheaper drugs, especially in the less well off areas, then you are barking mad. The drug trade in Ireland has already made it’s first Billionaire(s) and is growing.
This has not been thought out properly at all.
Long term Ireland has been doing ok, but to change it’s relationship with alcohol, we need to embrace it, and relax the laws, not put more restrictions on it, and try and use bullshit excuses that it is for our health. If that is the case, raise the prices of processed foods, meats etc. High in sugar content.
Everything is bad for you when taken out of moderation, but those in particular are worse.
Lower the price - set a ‘maximum’ bar or 'roof price' for which they cannot go above for the healthier foods and drinks etc.
The government are full of shit bringing this is in and pushing it through. They get away with so much, they know this is just another.
Smoking bans, seatbelts, and drink driving restrictions are not the same thing at all.
AAI seem to all have a story about being affected by alcohol, or know somebody that is.
That is an understandable grievance that they have, and while they are not alone, it shouldn’t mean that they for some weird reason get massive funding to campaign and have the power to bring in new laws. Not everyone abuses alcohol the way the people they know did, and there are much bigger issues, this is not tackling anything, no matter what they try and kid themselves.

Last edited by Suckit; 14-01-2021 at 01:19.
Advertisement
14-01-2021, 09:39   #4630
Kivaro

Wonder what the Health Minister Stephen Donnelly meant a few days ago when he said that we should not be able to buy alcohol for "pocket money prices". I thought that was a bit condescending of him. According to the dictionary, pocket money is described as: a small amount of extra money.

So are the people who bust their backsides all week working or just surviving, and then find some small amount of extra money, after all the bills are paid and excess Irish taxes are taken, treat themselves to low cost alcohol; are they somehow to feel guilty for spending their own money?
Very odd comment from Donnelly.
(5) thanks from:
14-01-2021, 09:45   #4631
Jerry Atrick

Was in Tesco last night, a very basic question...are all the offers now a thing of the past? Is it just the advertising of said offers or are the 4 for €10 now fully null and void? This is the greatest codology if that is the case.
14-01-2021, 09:49   #4632
Kivaro

While understand that some people have alcohol issues, I'm sure that Alcohol Action Ireland (AAI) are busy now after their recent success figuring out ways to further reduce the availability of alcohol to consenting adults in Ireland.
(3) thanks from:
14-01-2021, 10:10   #4633
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Atrick View Post
Was in Tesco last night, a very basic question...are all the offers now a thing of the past? Is it just the advertising of said offers or are the 4 for €10 now fully null and void? This is the greatest codology if that is the case.
4 for €10 mix and match gone.
4 cans in a pack with its own barcode for €10 is ok.

You also can't collect or use loyalty points or spend and save vouchers for alcohol, so can't be used in Dunnes €50 voucher spend.
14-01-2021, 10:21   #4634
Mr. teddywinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivaro View Post
Wonder what the Health Minister Stephen Donnelly meant a few days ago when he said that we should not be able to buy alcohol for "pocket money prices". I thought that was a bit condescending of him. According to the dictionary, pocket money is described as: a small amount of extra money.

So are the people who bust their backsides all week working or just surviving, and then find some small amount of extra money, after all the bills are paid and excess Irish taxes are taken, treat themselves to low cost alcohol; are they somehow to feel guilty for spending their own money?
Very odd comment from Donnelly.
Politicians are on big money for doing fook all so a 50e bottle of wine is peanuts to them
14-01-2021, 10:23   #4635
Purgative

I hear the Dáil bar is still very reasonable.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion