Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2019, 18:08   #16
steddyeddy

I think I've seen Martin talk before. I went to an event organised by UCD's Law Society dealing with the Irishmen who fought in WW1 and 2. It was a serious and very interesting discussion about the bravery those men exhibited throughout intense hardships. The talk featured Irishmen who rose through the ranks in WW2 and one who even served as a prisoner of war. As I say it was an extremely interesting piece of history that needs more exposure in Ireland.

Saying that, why in god's name are they involving a contrarian like Kevin Myers in it. This is a man whose life's work involved getting a rise out of people. His Africa article belied the fact he's definitely not an historian. Africa gave us humanity, Maghreb (North African region that gave us the Moors), Moorish Spain, Moorish Sicily, Egypt and a ton of rare Earth minerals. It completely diminishes the memory of the dead to have them Represented by a modern shock jock.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-03-2019, 00:08   #17
BalcombeSt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post
I think I've seen Martin talk before. I went to an event organised by UCD's Law Society dealing with the Irishmen who fought in WW1 and 2. It was a serious and very interesting discussion about the bravery those men exhibited throughout intense hardships. The talk featured Irishmen who rose through the ranks in WW2 and one who even served as a prisoner of war. As I say it was an extremely interesting piece of history that needs more exposure in Ireland.

Saying that, why in god's name are they involving a contrarian like Kevin Myers in it. This is a man whose life's work involved getting a rise out of people. His Africa article belied the fact he's definitely not an historian. Africa gave us humanity, Maghreb (North African region that gave us the Moors), Moorish Spain, Moorish Sicily, Egypt and a ton of rare Earth minerals. It completely diminishes the memory of the dead to have them Represented by a modern shock jock.
Thank you, finally some sanity in the thread. You're right he's not a historian he's a right-wing (pretty far right at that) propagandist.

He's a terrific article Fintan wrote (who I'm no huge fan of either but he's 100% spot on here) after Myers got sacked for the now infamous article he wrote, although he wrote plenty of others that should have got him sacked..

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/f...ters-1.3172618

Here's a small part of the article.

Quote:
Myers’s problem, though, is that this stuff is everywhere now. It is no longer contrarian: the president of the United States spouts it. Far-right rhetoric runs on automatic pilot. You don’t have to think about it. And it is obvious that Myers didn’t and nor did his editors. It was just standard-issue bile. Even those who trade in it are bored by it.

But they failed to notice they were sleepwalking across a line. They broke the only rule that matters – don’t pick on people who can answer back. Jewish people have learned from the most abysmal experiences to be alert to the tropes of anti-Semitism and to call them out when they see them. It’s a matter of survival. Myers was probably half asleep and wholly bored when he threw in some of those tropes to try to enliven the corpse of a moribund column. He woke up out in the cold he has so long pretended to enjoy inhabiting.
Like Fintan points out Myers likes to take on people with no power, Africans who have aids, poor Africans, poor Irish people, single mothers, Muslims etc... I also remember a strange article he wrote were he praised the SS for being "brave soldiers" & that the IRA(Old IRA) were not brave because they relied on using ambushes like Tom Barry. Even tho Tom Barry was an Irishman in WW1 which Kevin usually loves, I think it's safe to say Kevin hasn't got a good graspe on the basics of Guerrilla Warfare.
The VC used ambushes against the Americans & they were some of the bravest soldiers in history.

Anyway as for the Irishmen in WW's I actually think the Irishmen who fought in Spain (for the elected government) & WW2 actually deserve more praise than the WW1 soldiers.
05-03-2019, 11:23   #18
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
Thank you, finally some sanity in the thread. You're right he's not a historian he's a right-wing (pretty far right at that) propagandist.

He's a terrific article Fintan wrote (who I'm no huge fan of either but he's 100% spot on here) after Myers got sacked for the now infamous article he wrote, although he wrote plenty of others that should have got him sacked..

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/f...ters-1.3172618

Here's a small part of the article.

[ ]

Like Fintan points out Myers likes to take on people with no power, Africans who have aids, poor Africans, poor Irish people, single mothers, Muslims etc... I also remember a strange article he wrote were he praised the SS for being "brave soldiers" & that the IRA(Old IRA) were not brave because they relied on using ambushes like Tom Barry. Even tho Tom Barry was an Irishman in WW1 which Kevin usually loves, I think it's safe to say Kevin hasn't got a good graspe on the basics of Guerrilla Warfare.
The VC used ambushes against the Americans & they were some of the bravest soldiers in history.

Anyway as for the Irishmen in WW's I actually think the Irishmen who fought in Spain (for the elected government) & WW2 actually deserve more praise than the WW1 soldiers.

Why do you bother posting uninformed, factually incorrect and plain silly statements? Asserting that Myers said ‘the Waffen SS were brave soldiers’ and then using it as the basis for an attack on him is wrong when he did not say the words and stupid when the difference between bravery and ethics / morality are not understood. The ill-informed un-read love attributing phrases like that because they provide a platform from which to spout nonsense.

Myers views on the Waffen SS were an aside in his ‘An Irishman’s Diary’ on Feb 5, 2000 when he was commenting on boycotting Austria.
Quote:
……. the Waffen SS, loathe them as I do, were nonetheless perhaps the best soldiers the world has ever seen……………Yes, its einsatzgruppen were the butchers of East European Jewry, and the Totenkopfverban de - Death's Head Band, who were largely despised by other sections of the SS - ran the concentration camps. But for the most part, the Waffen SS - waffen means "armed", as in "weapon" - was a corps d'elite unique in war. It remained aloof from and disdainful of the concentration camp thugs. Even when, under an order from Himmler in 1941, all the various arms of the SS were to be amalgamated, the einsatzgruppen remained separate from the main body of the fighting SS…………The SS were not gentleman, and some were responsible for dreadful atrocities. That doesn't mean they all were. Is this not the way of war?
Get your facts right, that is what most people here want. Your unresearched opinions are dull and boring.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion