Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post gone to shîte

• 24-11-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

I assume others are experiencing this with An Post?

I've ordered around 10 different item from Amazon and Brown Thomas over the last month (ordered at different times). So far 3 have been lost (including a €300 Christmas tree!). Just checked my Amazon account and it looks like another 2 items are in limbo, stuck in Dublin parcel hub for over a week now!

I get that demand for their service is high at the moment but the loss rate is incredible at the moment, nearly running at 50%.

I'm not looking for answered here, just wondering how everyone else is getting on with An Post?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

Have had one item out of 7 delivered successfully. These items were ordered start of November. One item delivered to a parcel hub out of my travel limit and just labelled as delivered. The others went into thin air.

Nobody in our apartment seems to be getting anything. Unusually empty lobby for two weeks now.

I'm holding off on Christmas shopping until I can go to a store physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Lost or just not delivered within the next two days.

Delivery services are out the door. An post delivered 2.1 MILLION parcels last week.

Where I am we are finding some parcels are taking 7-8 days. Some are getting to us within two days. It's pot luck. Large parcels seem to take longer, small parcels are quickest.

But we understand it and little we can do. I'd be allowing 14 days before claiming loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I posted a parcel last Tuesday, an Amazon return that I'm due a significant refund for. Just checked the tracking, only checked in in Portlaoise this morning. That's ridiculous, I could have walked to Portlaoise faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

I ordered a book from Irish book shop at start of the month and didn't arrive until 20 days later. Not sure if the delay lay with the bookshop or An Post or a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

An Post have been quite slow here in Cork. And it's not going to get better, short and medium term. Since closing the office at Little Island, all parcels seem to go via Dublin or Portlaoise. It's taking anything up to 2 weeks to be delivered.

My friend ordered flowers for me from the UK. This particular firm recently changed delivery partners to An Post. They lost one lot. The second lot of flowers were delivered to me dead as they took 3 weeks to arrive.

I've ordered stuff from Amazon. And I have PRIME. It's sent promptly by Amazon. Again - the parcels are taking up to two weeks to finally reach me.

I also ordered something from M & S at the beginning of the month. It finally reached me yesterday morning.

Surely An Post can do better than this? I realise there is a pandemic, which hasn't helped, but they should have known there was already a significant rise in online shopping. The pandemic speeded things up. Now we have Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas coming up. An Post simply haven't prepared properly for it. The postmen are run off their feet!

I don't see it getting better any time soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 mihalk

An Post told me this morning that some part of their scanning system is broken.

My sent post is "still at the original post office" 4 days after sending.
    Incoming international post left mainland Europe also 4 days ago, but has yet to appear on track and trace in the An Post system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Order on its way from the US, sent by Fedex and An Post are the delivering company in Ireland. Its arrived in Ireland the 18th but still not even showing up on the track and trace details for AnPost. Also waiting on something from Vodafone and that hasn't been delivered either. Both are small packages. Even if the US one was to be checked by customs it would show that on the AnPost system. Shocking slow. the last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The lads at the depot probably seen the 300€ price tag on the Christmas tree and are keeping it around for the lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The expect to deliver 3.1 Million + parcels this week alone.

I think people need to understand the scale of that work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Order on its way from the US, sent by Fedex and An Post are the delivering company in Ireland. Its arrived in Ireland the 18th but still not even showing up on the track and trace details for AnPost. Also waiting on something from Vodafone and that hasn't been delivered either. Both are small packages. Even if the US one was to be checked by customs it would show that on the AnPost system. Shocking slow. the last month

Are you sure? FedEx/An Post isn't a normal combination. FedEx do their own deliveries and they track it until delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I thought An Post stopped Fedex deliveries a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

listermint wrote: »
    The expect to deliver 3.1 Million + parcels this week alone.

I think people need to understand the scale of that work.

I agree Listermint. My brother in law is a postman and is working absolutely flat out. He and his workmates are each delivering around 250 parcels per day. Weekend deliveries are imminent. The volumes have exploded for very obvious reasons: shops are closed, Christmas is around the corner, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are incentives to spend and people are buying online out of necessity rather than choice. It's all bound to put strain on the system. That's what significant demand does and it is a problem afflicting other service providers both here and elsewhere. It's unfortunate and a pain in the ass , but it is what it is

I've had an post parcel deliveries on Saturdays and Sundays since the first lockdown but maybe that's a Dublin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

whiterebel wrote: »
    Are you sure? FedEx/An Post isn't a normal combination. FedEx do their own deliveries and they track it until delivered.

I thought the same too myself. I expected FedEx/ UPS would be turning up with it but according to them (and their site) it was handed off to AnPost & I've been provided with an AnPost tracking number. It tracks the whole way to Ireland and is now MIA and the AnPost tracking says Awaiting information on your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mihalk

Yeah, I get the same
    "Awaiting information on your post
    We may not have received your delivery yet, but check back later as tracking is updated regularly throughout the day"
    Packages left Germany on the 24th. Posted originally with DHL in Germany on the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Caranica wrote: »
    I've had an post parcel deliveries on Saturdays and Sundays since the first lockdown but maybe that's a Dublin thing.

Getting weekend deliveries in Wicklow too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I think they're doing a great job tbh. All our deliveries have been on time or even earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Amazon thing

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Former colleague of mine once explained to me about deliveries to "remote" areas.
    He said that the bigger courier companies will only deliver to the main urban areas.
    Outside that they have a contract with anPost.
    Seems he was correct.

Amazon thing

No, An Post deliveries of parcels, including but not exclusively Amazon.

Amazon's own deliveries are 7 days 8am-9pm, I've got those too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

No, An Post deliveries of parcels, including but not exclusively Amazon.

Amazon's own deliveries are 7 days 8am-9pm, I've got those too.
    Interesting, I was given to understand that it was a part of the Amazon contract.

That's good to know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Parcel senders need to opt for (pay for) Saturday parcel deliveries, its not all parcels. Amazon would be one of the main customers but I've had plenty of others.

*generally* the two Saturdays before Christmas (11th and 18th this year) get full weekday post service and extremely rarely the last Sunday if it falls very close to Christmas. Christmas is a Friday this year so that's unlikely.

Delivery dates are not out yet for this year, though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This week I had 3 very badly damaged AMZ boxes delivered via An Post and contents damaged/missing, also have three lost packages.
    Onto AMZ today for guts of an hour getting it all sorted.

Postman tells me they cut staff and can’t cope in the sorting offices, trucks leaving way overpacked and leaving mountains of unsorted parcels behind.
    If this continues they’ll lose the AMZ account and then An Post will know about losses

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

Unless you have prime
    Amazon is ****e
    They hold over your order for 10 days even if it says shipped they want you to buy prime so orders get held I waited once for 16 days so I put a bad review up then they sent it in 1 day

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Dreadful attitude of many staff in my local An post.

I went to another post office in my city and asked the post woman if I had the correct address for State Savings which is free post. I had an old unused window type envelope supplied by a credit card company for a repayment.

When I asked her for a small bit of selotape to seal the rear ( where I crossed out the return address) she had to comment:

" I see you're using a used envelope". None of her business. It was free post.

Amazon seem to have given up on An Post for this Christmas.

Things seem to be delivered by courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Been fantastic here. Super quick, 6 days a week.

Find fastway the worst. Driver handing me stuff that's not even for my estate nevermind house on more than one occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 gaelar29

slave1 wrote: »
    This week I had 3 very badly damaged AMZ boxes delivered via An Post and contents damaged/missing, also have three lost packages.
    Onto AMZ today for guts of an hour getting it all sorted.

Postman tells me they cut staff and can’t cope in the sorting offices, trucks leaving way overpacked and leaving mountains of unsorted parcels behind.
    If this continues they’ll lose the AMZ account and then An Post will know about losses

As having dealt with Amazon parcels, some of their packaging is brutal and very unfair to blame the man/woman who lands at your door with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought something off a seller in Tipp.

I posted payment on Monday, they had it Tuesday morning.
    They posted item Tuesday, I had it Wednesday afternoon.

Pretty impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I had two packages delivered to the house on Thursday according to their records. They’re no where in or around the house.

Advertisement