Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a house through pension

• 24-11-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Looking to see if anyone has any advice on whether it's a good idea to buy property through your pension... I have a couple of hundred K in my pension that I am thinking of putting towards buying a property.

Keen to see other's experience before moving forward

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's possible to buy property by going down the self invested route but few actually do so.

You can't buy a house for your own use for example, nor a holiday home.

So you're looking at a buy to let, or a commercial property.

If your pension pot isn't huge you'll totally unbalance it, and crucially when you want to take benefits the property has to be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

It's possible to buy property by going down the self invested route but few actually do so.

You can't buy a house for your own use for example, nor a holiday home.

So you're looking at a buy to let, or a commercial property.

If your pension pot isn't huge you'll totally unbalance it, and crucially when you want to take benefits the property has to be sold.

Thanks Henry.

So I know I have to be at arms length, no family ties, holiday home etc. which I am fine with.

I am also aware of the risk of putting everything into one basket in property, but I am 20 years away from retirement, with another PRSA that is building nicely and with a strategy to heavily invest in the pension for the next 5-10 years to try and maximise my pot, which by the time I retire, will mean I am not solely dependent on the property in the pension.

Just wondering if anyone has done it say 2-3 years ago and what their perceptions/experience has been

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

and crucially when you want to take benefits the property has to be sold.

Assuming there's enough cash in the pension to take the lump sum, the property can be transferred to an ARF. Although, you'd want to be able to survive on the rental income of it's not going to be sold.

Advertisement