Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Presidential roots

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »

I seriously doubt Kamala Harris has any Irish roots but we'll take her anyway!

Its been claimed she may have distant Antrim connections. Jamaican Irish roots can be hard to prove for various reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Surprised Megan Smolenyak hasn't done something on this. She was the one who traced Obama's Irish roots.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Can't help but infect our genealogy forum a little with the excitement of Biden's win yesterday.

Here's the Irish Times' coverage of his Irish roots. I did not know he was related to Rob Kearney.

Anyone else related to a US President? I'm a very distant cousin of Obama, through his mother's direct Dunham line. :D

Our common ancestor is a chap called Jonathan Singletary Dunham.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I seriously doubt Kamala Harris has any Irish roots but we'll take her anyway!

Not sure I'd agree with that sentiment.

For one thing it wouldn't be genealogically sound and for another there's too much of that claiming from our friends across the water.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ha! I just meant in the sense that she is an extremely suitable VP.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Ha! I just meant in the sense that she is an extremely suitable VP.

Oh Jesus yes!! She absolutely has all the qualities to be a wonderful VP.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Isn't there a question that one of her ancestors was a plantation owner but originally Scots Irish from Antrim ...I am not certain of the truth of that but worth noting

Yes, I saw something about that but there's a gap in the knowledge. I think Kamala's ancestry is documented back to a particular woman, who might be the daughter of the plantation owner, but there's no baptism record linking them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement