Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsure if its a scam website/Call/Text?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the face of it I'd guess it was a scam and they're either delaying you to prevent you doing a chargeback until they're done with the merchant account they have or they are looking to get further info/money from it; possibly try to get you to phone a premium rate number or something.

What is the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I'm not sure if I should post the site. It's a French shop selling Moroccan decor items like pouffes and rugs etc. They do seem to have a premises in France but the website says that all of the items are handmade in Morocco so I suppose it's not that odd for them to ship directly from there.

I looked into it a bit more and the courier company is called Globex in Morocco. They seem to be linked with Fedex but aren't exactly the same. It seems like it was actually them calling me after all. The tracking has updated now and the package is moving so we'll see what happens. It might be just that the way things are done over there are a bit less professional than we're used to. I hope that's the case and it's not a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Sorry if this is the wrong place. How do I work out if this site is legit? Prices seem to good to be true but the site itself doesn’t scream scam. Interested in particular in the Nintendo switch which they’re currently selling for around €270.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They’re pretty open about the fact that they’re based in Hong Kong. I’d be skeptical but it doesn’t trigger the usual screaming red sirens. For me, I’d rather buy within the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

https://www.sesservices.ie

Have what looks like a legitimate site selling Pandora jewelry at discounted prices. But no phone number & the Eircode shown on their contact page is correct but typed wrong.

Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Discodog wrote: »
    https://www.sesservices.ie

Have what looks like a legitimate site selling Pandora jewelry at discounted prices. But no phone number & the Eircode shown on their contact page is correct but typed wrong.

Any thoughts ?

"Dropshipper" for fakes - avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Anything on this website www.senetic.ie , anybody?

I am about to buy something and the website isn't calculating the VAT right, so I'm worried that it's a hastily put together fake website or something.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Anything further on this website, anybody?

I am about to buy something and the website isn't calculating the VAT right, so I'm worried that it's a hastily put together fake website or something.

MOD: The people on that thread are hardly going to answer, its 3 1/2 years old. I'm moving it into the Scam website thread. Considering it is around that long, it might be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anything on this website www.senetic.ie , anybody?

nothing about that screams scam. And the vat figures i looked at seem right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

went to make a paypal purchase through this site
    https://shopifylab.com/product/we-can-speed-up-and-optimize-shopify-store/
    it brought me to my paypal account (checked url to make sure it was paypal.com)
    and paid $50 through paypal, got a confirmation of order from website but not from paypal.
    Been two days and seller says nothing showing up in his account, also nothing showing up as being taken from my paypal account.

can it take a few days for it to show up on my paypal account activity or should that not show up straight away?

Paypal payments are immediate but that site screams scam for so many reasons.
    Terrible grammar, site half working, 2 months old
    If they come back and say can you pay by wire transfer then run the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Anyone know if esty if safe to buy off

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Came here looking for a cheap safe, I are disappoint :(

I take it you mean Etsy?

Anything I've ever bought from it has arrived fine, so yes in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Etsy? Yes, buy off it all of the time. Shipping can be a bit pricy sometime because it's generally individual sellers but it's perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anything I've ever bought from it has arrived fine, so yes in my experience.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

yup etsy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

One of my friends advices me to try my luck in gamble game from Drakemall. It is known win-win game where every player win one random item in any case. I'm interested but I'm not sure if Drakemall legit. I've found many positive reviews but still have some doubts. Anyone played this game before?

Like many other "lottery" sites out there - more chance of winning something worthless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Has anyone bought off switchcraft or used them before? Theyre based in blackrock Dublin. Wanted to place an order but im a tad bit cautious. The website is very very slow and almost unresponsive. Did a website checker test and came back that it was unable to determine as the website is too slow to get a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The website being slow doesn't mean anything other than the fact that the hosting service is sh1te, it does not reflect in any way on the underlying business.

A quick check on their website reveals that they are one and the same as Bowen electrical..... http://www.bowenelectrical.com/

I don't know anything about Bowen but there are several other electrical suppliers on the southside. I buy from Eurosales up in Sandyford ... https://www.eurosales.ie/ They're very friendly lads, have the stock code(s) on you when you call to the desk and they'll get you the goods in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

Working fine for me
    .ie domains are generally fine as you need to provide id to register one (passport etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Has anyone bought off switchcraft or used them before? Theyre based in blackrock Dublin. Wanted to place an order but im a tad bit cautious. The website is very very slow and almost unresponsive. Did a website checker test and came back that it was unable to determine as the website is too slow to get a result.

I think they are as safe as any small business. They have a bricks & mortar store that you can walk into in Blackrock Dublin. I don't believe them to be a "Con" site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Thanks all, I got through to them and theyre having issues with their website last few days so makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I know not exactly the correct area but anybody even purchased anything off these?

https://refurbiphones.ie/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

MOD: Merged with sticky thread

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone heard of or bought from here ?

https://www.ubuy.ie/

• Advertisement

Not a scam site but I'd be wary of the real price when going to checkout (customs/duty) and the fact it could take a while to arrive

Advertisement