Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting a food van!? Help!

Options
  • 04-04-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I am interested in starting a food truck/catering business.
    I am aware of the HSE regulation's....however outside of this I am unsure where to begin!!
    Is there anybody in this industry who would be willing to share your knowledge with me in relation to your experience to date.....I just don't know how to get up and running!

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hi

I am aware of the HSE regulation's....however outside of this I am unsure where to begin!!
    Is there anybody in this industry who would be willing to share your knowledge with me in relation to your experience to date.....I just don't know how to get up and running!

Thanks!!!!

I'd be happy to share my extensive food industry knowledge, pm me and I'll send you my rates

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'd be happy to share my extensive food industry knowledge, pm me and I'll send you my rates

I say op meant free advice here on boards :rolleyes: hence them posting here. "Send you my rates" tut tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Hi

Thanks!!!!

No one is going to give you a full guide to go from zero to opening day it's best if you ask specific questions that you need answering.

First step would be to write a business plan that will help you nail down exactly what you intend to do and then when you come across things you aren't sure about then ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surely:

Investigate locations and traffic at those locations, investigate if permits or permissions are required.

Do detailed business plan ensuring enough punters are available and that the overall business model of costs and revenue constitutes an actual profitable business. I'd have thought insurance both vehicle, public and employers liability will be high.

Secure funding.

Buy vehicle that suits your license, already fitted and inspected if possible.

If not fitted out get that done.

Have vehicle inspected.

Rectify any issues found on inspection.

Once inspection is passed stock up van.

Get whatever permits permissions required to trade.

Off you go and try not poison too many.

What food prep experience do you actually have from a commercial perspective ??

vicwatson wrote: »
    I say op meant free advice here on boards :rolleyes: hence them posting here. "Send you my rates" tut tut tut

OK the last comment was tongue in cheek.

Week in, week out we have posters here with a grand idea of setting up a food business with no professional experience or even committed to some pertinent research (proven by their broad range question).
    Unless OP realised that a food business is a complete unique industry, particularly food trucks, and realises that a free resource is never going to make up for their lack of knowledge, they're doomed. Get a business partner who has a working knowledge or pay for a professional consultant, or be fecked from day one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

duploelabs wrote: »
    OK the last comment was tongue in cheek.

Week in, week out we have posters here with a grand idea of setting up a food business with no professional experience or even committed to some pertinent research (proven by their broad range question).
    Unless OP realised that a food business is a complete unique industry, particularly food trucks, and realises that a free resource is never going to make up for their lack of knowledge, they're doomed. Get a business partner who has a working knowledge or pay for a professional consultant, or be fecked from day one

OP is looking for help, not a lecture. Why bother reply if you have nothing helpful to add. It makes the forum unappealing to those who are looking for direction or some advice. OP didn't ask for a business plan, he/she has an idea and is unsure of how to go from there.

Professional experience is not essential in order to set up a food van but it would definitely be an advantage. The food safety authority of Ireland will have lots of information surrounding HACCP and food safety. Do you have an idea of what food you would like to make? Are you looking at pizza, stews, or curries? Are you going to make the food yourself or will you hire a cook/chef? Do you have a place to prepare and store the food? If you prepare and store the food at home, you will have to meet certain standards.

You shouldn't require a huge amount of capital to begin with, the largest investment will be the van. So I would suggest applying for a spot in your local farmers market and other markets in the area. This can keep the costs down at the start and you can go from there.

Best of luck with your idea and your business ;)

OP is looking for help, not a lecture. Why bother reply if you have nothing helpful to add. It makes the forum unappealing to those who are looking for direction or some advice. OP didn't ask for a business plan, he/she has an idea and is unsure of how to go from there.

I'm saving OP from a lot of hassle with a simple yes or no question. If you're a regular reader/poster on this sub will tell you, as I said, that this question is always asked and a cookie cutter response is given.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hi

Thanks!!!!

Your local enterprise board may run a course on starting a business. That will give you an idea on where to begin.

When you have questions, please feel free to ask but no one will commit to the level of outlay of time and effort to give you a guide on starting a business. If they do its not worth you reading. That said _Brian gave a good idea of where you should start.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suggest you simply approach and befriend people that have food vans locally and learn that way. Try local markets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

There is a food truck festival in Limerick this June bank holiday. I reckon you head down to that and get chatting to as many business owners as you can !

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/europe-s-largest-food-truck-festival-comes-to-ireland-1.3030573

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

And try not to listen to the nay sayers like one of the posters above. They know who they are.
    These people let on to be full of knowledge but yet never give any help or advice to a newcomer to the forum only critics, but you will get them. Don't let them get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mollyb2017

Best wishes in your venture. Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

_Brian wrote: »
    Surely:

Investigate locations and traffic at those locations, investigate if permits or permissions are required.

Do detailed business plan ensuring enough punters are available and that the overall business model of costs and revenue constitutes an actual profitable business. I'd have thought insurance both vehicle, public and employers liability will be high.

Secure funding.

Buy vehicle that suits your license, already fitted and inspected if possible.

If not fitted out get that done.

Have vehicle inspected.

Rectify any issues found on inspection.

Once inspection is passed stock up van.

Get whatever permits permissions required to trade.

Off you go and try not poison too many.

What food prep experience do you actually have from a commercial perspective ??

Don't forget your branding! Very important

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KidMeNotA1

Food trucks need to be attractive and functional. There are many which travel the markets in Europe - well kitted out, and appealing. Maybe it is worth looking there, on internet 1st. which may help in fitting out, health permits etc. for a nice 2nd hand vehicle. As it seems you want to go to markets, milage will be v. small.  Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Hi all --

Thanks to the constructive posters above. Always great to see encouragement for people thinking of taking a chance.

I'm currently looking at a little coffee cart project. It's a hobby of mine (coffee - roasting, making, etc). I'd like to do so in Dublin. 

Would you know where I could start in terms of getting info about the regulation/permit (i.e. admin) side of it?

Thanks,
    Con

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

Hi all --

Thanks to the constructive posters above. Always great to see encouragement for people thinking of taking a chance.

I'm currently looking at a little coffee cart project. It's a hobby of mine (coffee - roasting, making, etc). I'd like to do so in Dublin. 

Would you know where I could start in terms of getting info about the regulation/permit (i.e. admin) side of it?

Thanks,
    Con

Hi Con,

I find the posters who are not constructive to be a far more valuable resource, just my opinion but some of the advice above is terrible. In fact a lot of the encouragement is from people who don't have a clue about the industry they are talking about. (IamXavier's post suggesting to go buy a little van and pop along to a market , sure it'll be grand!)

Those with some industry knowledge are the ones who are asking you questions and trying to stop you from wasting your money.

As for your question in particular , for Dublin it is the county council who issue a traders permit , for fixed pitches and temporary pitches.
    They are quite helpful with answering your questions about what you intend to do.
    Brian was the chap in the Dublin office : 01-2223141.
    see also : http://www.dublincity.ie/casualtrading

For local markets I would ask an exiting stall holder, better yet partner with a food only vendor to lower their cost.

Our team operated under a casual trading licence for specific events.

Some fixed pitches are available for a few thousand euro ( the coffee van at the Irish life centre for example) , and will make that back in next to no time.

Please don't go buying anything until you have done some volunteer hours with an existing establishment, it may be an eye opener for you.

Also, take a look at Thirst Solutions , https://www.thirstsolution.com/
    A mother and son team in England selling mobile coffee vending units. Not suitable for every event but far cheaper than a van.

I have (somewhere around here) a few of these units and a percolator/equipment , you're welcome to PM and to try them out. We no longer use them.

I found coffee beans cheaper in the supermarket shelves than I did in the wholesaler, madness I know , but local supermarkets would do specials and discount the beans.

If you have any questions please ask away.

hth,
    Sysprog

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Hi Sysprg,

Thanks a million for your insight and opinion -- much appreciated. 

I'll definitely look into volunteering with someone. And I'm contacting the Co Co right now to get a steer from them. 

Thanks again, and I'll be back ASAP with some follow-up questions and/or updates that might be of use to people considering such a venture.

All the best,
    Con

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ana Oliveira

Hey there I'm wordering to know if anyone know where can I find infos about food track parking regulations?

Tks
    Ana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Hey there I'm wordering to know if anyone know where can I find infos about food track parking regulations?

Tks
    Ana

See local authorities casual trading bye laws and designated trading locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hey op, the FSAI have good guides on their website last time I looked around starting a food business, also link in with your Local Enterprise Office, they do regular courses on starting a food business as well as general business advice clinics and start your own business courses.

I don’t know what your level of expertise is in the food service sector but there will be a steep learning curve if you are starting from scratch. In fact I would strongly recommend doing at least some time in a regular kitchen before starting a business like this. It’s not for everyone.

I would add that food trucks can be very profitable if they are done well. If you have a good product and get a good regular spot and are willing to slog it out on the festival circuit you can make a very good living at it. That said, they are popping up all over the place so competition will be a bigger factor in the future than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

So from what I read you need a casual trading licence. However, does that mean that you can roll up anywhere (safely park) and start to sell your produce?

Do you need to inform the local council? Are there restrictions? not within schools? restaurants, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Colm Meaney made a great documentary about starting a food truck business in 1996. Its a bit dated, but the advice is sound.

So from what I read you need a casual trading licence. However, does that mean that you can roll up anywhere (safely park) and start to sell your produce?

Do you need to inform the local council? Are there restrictions? not within schools? restaurants, etc?

Casual trading licences are issued for designated fixed pitches only, they don't give you free reign to trade anywhere in the council area.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Chiorino wrote: »
    Casual trading licences are issued for designated fixed pitches only, they don't give you free reign to trade anywhere in the council area.

ok - so the chip van that pulls up at different places must be chancing their arm or have multiple permissions to trade is set areas?

ok - so the chip van that pulls up at different places must be chancing their arm or have multiple permissions to trade is set areas?

Either or, though if they are chancing their arm, they won't get away for it for long. Also depends if they are stopping off on private property as this changes things.

Advertisement