Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information, Essential Links & Books

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭paddyred9

Just putting a reply in here to keep track of it.
    Very interested in this type of thing.

I'll keep an eye out for more books that come up also, I like the "My Story" type book as opposed to a "How to"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alex22

I would agree that the business plan is likely to be completely incorrect but that somehow you need to have steps in writing.
    Regarding the first post. I believe that entrepreneurs should review the marketplace before they decide to enter. They should check out their competitors.

However, I don't think that formal/scientific market research such as focus groups and questionnaires are important particularly for software start ups.
    Instead, they should bootstrap a beta or prototype and release it. Get users to tell them how awful the product is then keep improving it.

I also believe that start ups should not waste time writing a business plan. Very few actually read a business plan so valuable time is wasted compiling a document that will only gather dust. Instead a deck of 10-20 PowerPoint slides should be used. This is becoming more and more common in the start up community.

The key is to get traction quickly. Key reference sites and paying users are what really matters in the early stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Brenda Kelly

Hi Guys,

As somebody who has recently set up her own business and the business been Financial consultancy.

I would also agree with what people have said above but you also need to ask yourself what are my aims for this company going into the future.
    " Do I want to develop a company with the purpose of selling it on in the next couple of years or do I see it as the career move for life, a business that hopefully I can pass onto my family in the future. because how you develop those 2 type of companies differ.
    ie if you plan to sell in the short term it is not always the right move to tie yourself up with long leases on property, big committments to machinery leases when maybe renting makes more sense. Leaves your company easier to sell on, most investors in this market will be looking at the value of your product not what asset you work out of . This is what in business is termed " the 3 year strategic plan".

On a personal note the one thing that I am discovering regarding marketing yourself is that people are back to "cold calling" and that it is working for them, personally I find this the hardest way to market myself but you cannot ignore what works.

Hope this helps
    Brenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Not sure if this has been posted before but Google released an excellent beginners guide to SEO.

Link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

Happy New Year everybody!

We are delighted to let you know that the 19th Hothouse Venture Programme will be launched on Thursday 25th March 2010.

We are now accepting applications and the closing date for receipt of completed forms is Friday 5th February.
    I have attached a copy of the application form, which is also available for download on our website.
    Applicants should remember to attach a copy of their own CV when returning the form to me.
    All applications must be submitted by e-mail only.
    There are as usual 16 places available on the next Programme.

If anyone knows any entrepreneurs that would be a good match for the programme please pass along this e-mail and my details and tell them to contact me.

Kind regards

Sara

Sara Hogan
    Programme Manager

DIT Hothouse
    Dublin Docklands Innovation Park
    128-130 East Wall Road
    Dublin 3
    Ireland

Tel: +353 1 240 1307
    Fax: +353 1 240 1310
    Email: sara.hogan@hothouse.ie
    Web: www.hothouse.ie
    http://www.dit.ie/researchandenterprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 steveoracle

For Web Designers:

CSS The Missing Manual
    Dreamweaver The Missing Manual
    The Web Designers Idea Book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Really good service for preparing all the documents for a company, instead of going to a solicitor which can cost quite a lot of money :)

SetMyCompanyUp.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I was at a recent networking event where one of the other attendees gave his book out to everyone there. It's called Fire in the Belly and is worth a read, particularly for those considering jumping off the corporate ladder and starting up your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

This Wicklow website helped me get my head around getting my ideas together. http://nubie.com/

• Advertisement

• Can anyone recommend a book on business failures?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mikefm

Can anyone recommend a book on business failures?

Thanks.

I recall hearing about a '10 Commandments' type book on biz failures but have not read it

Rework by Jason Fried. If you have to read just 1 book this year, this is it. Not long, kept simple and makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Rework by Jason Fried. If you have to read just 1 book this year, this is it. Not long, kept simple and makes sense.

Agreed. Great book and highly recommended by me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Peach Solutions

I found this book a very good read.
    Fail Better Stumbling to suceed in Sales and Marketing ( 25 case studies about Ryanair etc, really good read )
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fail-Better-Stumbling-Marketing-Remarkable/dp/0462099040

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Can anyone recommend a book on business failures?

Thanks.

'How the Mighty Fall' - Jim Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭GoldenBoot

Im looking for a book recommendation for patents.

thanks.

E-myth - Revisited by Michael Gerber

Good book, a little slow to get in to it but worth a read. Sort of geared towards franchising but would also benefit business owners with hopes of expanding in numbers and putting systems in place to make it easier down the line. For the price it is at the moment (€7) I'd pick it up without hesitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chrisDj

Has anyone ever considered using online tests to help hire new employees? Or for training purposes. I've been looking at the Test Factory that does "tailor made" online assessments and it seems an interesting approach.

Some interesting interviews with successful business people.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/founder-stories/id423462670

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tolkarovers

Hi,
    Would you mind sharing the below project plan please?

Thanks
    lanod2407 wrote: »
    I'm working to launch a business in the coming months and am creating a project plan to get me there. The following are the steps I've come up with - may be of use to people and some may add to it to make it more complete?

I'm working on an IT / internet product - to put it in context:

- IT Development
    - Funding
    - Company Registration
    - Web Design
    - Branding
    - Domain Registration
    - IT System Testing
    - Product Launch
    - Marketing
    - Stationary
    - Office Set-up
    - Bank System - payment by customers
    - Bank Accounts
    - Press Releases
    - Equipment Purchase
    - Process & Procedure Documentation
    - Finance System - AP, AR, Payroll, P&L, BS, CF
    - Hiring
    - CRM System
    - Training
    - Product Literature

http://www.startupsfortherestofus.com/

Self explanatory name, geared towards software/web developers who are starting out.

http://getitdone.quickanddirtytips.com/

Productivity and people management tips.

Kevin Rose (founder of DIGG) interviews other tech entrepreneurs.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/foundation-large-mp4/id412888120

Seems good so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Get Cracking

did any one read purple cow.?? seth godin.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

did any one read purple cow.?? seth godin.

Nope, but I read 'All Marketers Are Liars/Tell Stories'...I wasn't exactly inspired, didn't tell me anything that wasn't just plain common sense...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006sz6t

Evan Davis (Dragon's Den UK Host) has a Radio4 show called The Bottom Line, decent listen. Available on itunes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mixymax

I found this book very inspiring, full of practical tips and stories of how real people succeeded in business and in life:

"Why Some People Succeed and Others Fail" by Sam Malone
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Some-People-Succeed-Others-Fail/dp/0955578183/

• Advertisement

Book - Tribes by Seth Godin. Well worth a read.

Advertisement