Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish genealogy and Irish history

• 04-12-2020 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

When I started to delve deeply into my Irish genealogy, I soon discovered I'd also have to give myself a crash course in the basics of Irish history. It's been critical in understanding my family's past. I have emphasized this over and over to family and friends. If we don't understand Irish history, we will never understand our own family's story.

I see that RTE is showing a two-part history of the Famine, 'The Hunger, The Story of the Irish Famine.' What do you think of it as background for understanding Irish family history/genealogy? Does anyone know if it will become available in the US--TV, dvd, etc?

Most people here think of it as a simple crop failure and have no idea of the full devastation and the impact on our ancestors, those who stayed and those who left. Would be most interested in your opinion of this film and genealogy.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I haven't watched it yet but understand it is based on the well-regarded Atlas of the Great Famine book. The show is available worldwide on the RTE player for a few days - so you can watch it now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks so much for that. I'm working on trying to access RTE. I have done that but The Hunger will not play.

Later--I contacted RTE and received a prompt reply. The Hunger is only available in the Republic of Ireland, as are many of their shows. Too bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Try this link.
    https://t.co/suK335Rwep

Just saw a journalist saying it saying it's available abroad on twitter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Download the rte player app.
    It might work on that for you.

Thanks for the link but it didn't work for me. They see your ISP address and know where you are. That sounds paranoid....:D Will just have to hope it becomes available someday.

I did ask my public library to get the book when it came out. They did and it is really excellent, highly recommended. 'Atlas of the Great Irish Famine'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I watched the first episode. Thought it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I saw it earlier today - very good, a little sketchy on some stuff due to editing/program length. It is a cert that RTE will sell it on - just a matter of time before it will appear on PBS in the US. A definite money-spinner like Dick Warner's series on the Waterways of Ireland.

I wonder about PBS. They kneel at the feet of the British Empire in their programming. If this account of the Famine is accurate, it may not sell to the powers that be at PBS. I would be glad to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

VirginiaB wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that. I'm working on trying to access RTE. I have done that but The Hunger will not play.

Later--I contacted RTE and received a prompt reply. The Hunger is only available in the Republic of Ireland, as are many of their shows. Too bad.

I just wanted to let you know that I have just accessed and watched the first episode and I'm not in the Republic. I'm across the border, in the North, and normally we can't access RTE programmes on their Mediaplayer.

Try this link:

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/the-hunger-the-story-of-the-irish-famine/SI0000008058?epguid=IP000065817&seasonguid=166170664387

Advertisement