Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silly question time: Why do I pay tax on my tax?

• 04-12-2020 9:03pm

Hi folks,

Using simple numbers for ease of explanation. Let's say you're a self employed baker, and you make bang on €10k every year. You pay a blanket 20% tax, so the following year you give revenue €2k.

... Repeat year on year, over and over...

Why is it that the following year, revenue will still take 20% on 10k, instead of 8k? Considering you paid 2k in tax, you never actually seen that money. So into your pocket only went 8k, but you're still liable for tax on 10k?

I'd have thought it fairer that when tallying up your bill for the following year, one of your expenses for this year is the 2k that revenue took?

Am I a bit mad with this line of thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

KKV wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Using simple numbers for ease of explanation. Let's say you're a self employed baker, and you make bang on €10k every year. You pay a blanket 20% tax, so the following year you give revenue €2k.

... Repeat year on year, over and over...

Why is it that the following year, revenue will still take 20% on 10k, instead of 8k? Considering you paid 2k in tax, you never actually seen that money. So into your pocket only went 8k, but you're still liable for tax on 10k?

I'd have thought it fairer that when tallying up your bill for the following year, one of your expenses for this year is the 2k that revenue took?

Am I a bit mad with this line of thinking?

I dont think you are mad, just confused.

In year 1 you 'pay' no tax to Revenue Commissioners as you only 'pay & file' your tax return in the following year. Your tax liaibility is in effect deferred until the following year (year 2).

The issue you see is nothing more than a simple case of timing.

Advertisement