Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remote Working from Ireland

Options
  • 11-06-2020 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I work and live in Luxembourg, but I am planning to travel home in a few weeks and work remotely in Ireland for four weeks.

is anyone aware of any tax implications of doing this?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

it will depend on your residency. if you were here for a total of 280 days between both 2019 and 2020 (with at least 30 days in each year), you will be irish tax resident in 2020.

If yes: you will need to return your worldwide income.

if no: then it will depend on your ordinarily resident status.
    a) not ordinarily resident: you only need to return irish source income
    b) you are ordinarily resident: worldwide income with the exception of foreign trade/employment. and this sounds like foreign employment to me.

ETA:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/tax-residence/how-to-know-if-you-are-ordinarily-resident-for-tax-purposes.aspx

i have also presumed you are irish domiciled.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

shane1996 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I work and live in Luxembourg, but I am planning to travel home in a few weeks and work remotely in Ireland for four weeks.

Many thanks

Have you an employer in Luxembourg? If so your employer will be liable to register here and deduct paye & pay over to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Will Yam wrote: »
    Have you an employer in Luxembourg? If so your employer will be liable to register here and deduct paye & pay over to revenue.

If s/he's only here four four weeks, then I suspect there will be few consequences if the employer doesn't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

Just come back to Ireland and do your remote work for four weeks.

It's not like your doing it long term where you would have to register.

Most companies have 20+ annual leave days anyway. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

If s/he's only here four four weeks, then I suspect there will be few consequences if the employer doesn't do that.

I’m quite surprised at the number of overseas employers who are nervous about this.

I’ve dealt with a number of cases where the foreign employer has raised it as an issue, and one in particular took some convincing that because of Covid it was ok.

If you’re here because of Covid, (I.e effectively trapped here) the revenue have said they won’t apply the rules - for as long as the “entrapment” lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭thebourke

shane1996 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Many thanks

What is luxembourg like to live in?
    Expensive?

Advertisement