Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I got up to Newry today for 9am and Sainburys was a complete zoo. Trolley queues were 20 deep at each checkout and stretching down each side of the isles making shopping near impossible.

Strangely enough, it had quietened down big time by 11am - 12pm. Perhaps the earlier radio warning made people think twice?

The amount of southern reg cars parking in the disabled spaces was a complete f*cking disgrace.

Sainburys offering 91.5p to the Euro today - but if you use your credit card you'll be charged at the current Sterling exchange rate.

If you're just on a drink shop then checkout Supervalu on the main street. Less crowds, prices equal to the major multiples and they offer 90p to the Euro.

Woolworths closing down sale was a joke - the majority of items were only marked down by 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

tregan wrote: »
    see, they don't want us travelling up!

Propaganda. Thats what it is.:eek:

Went up a few weeks ago on a Saturday and I left Leixlip bout 11am (Really bad time) or so. Very busy getting through Newry. Propaganda makers said there was 3 hour delay. Very exagerated. Was a little over 3 hours total Journey from Leixlip to Belfast.

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mickeydee

Myself and herself left for Newry from Kildare this morning at 6:30 and got up to smyths for 8:10. Had a drive through town to see where the quays shopping centre was and found it easy enough. Got out of smyths about ten'ish and was parked in the quays within minutes. Have to say there was feck all people in smyths at that time, thought it wuld have been worse. The quays shopping centre waz busy due to a sainsburys been there, had a walk around in there to see what the fuss was about and il be back next sat for my beer. Booze very cheap in there 1ltr smirnoff vodka £15 - euro 17.50. I noticed they dont sell any Henieken there, can any1 tell me why ?? Some great deals in the centre and an excellent £ shop. Any way just to give ye'z an idea on savings, i changed 466 euro and got £400 and spent every penny, went through the prices when home and we reckon we saved 150 euro so i will definetley be bak again. This was mainly a santa shopping so il be back nxt week for the booze shopping, bring on the booze baby. Traffic notin like what i thought wuld be, left Newry at 11:30am and there was a small que where ye turn right for the quays backed up to the bottom of the hill and nothin really after that, only afew cars from the bottom to the top where the roundabout is. Looking forward to nxt week already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Where's the best place/good rate in Newry to change euro ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Any atm will give you the best rate. :)

Personally I just get sterling from the ATM or use a CC. This paying in Euro lark is not for me. I am up there so often there is no point taking Euro up there. I personally think the paying in Euro is some sort of a scam esp with the €1=£1stg places as they will give you 15% off if you pay in sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Imagine what the traffic will be like in January when the exchange will be
    1 to 1 :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

we left our house in meath at 11.30 and got there before 1. found it cheaper than sainsburys (including the 1 in craigavon). easy parking, busy but still no queues at checkouts. seems better value.
    sainsburys often have better deals on the beer though.
    asda today were offering 3 bottles of wine for a tenner, main brands- lindemans,wolf blass and carmen.
    highly reccomend it. all main shops are there and it's a nice scenic drive too

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Went to Enniskillen last thursday (5th), left from the midlands about 8:30 in the morning got to enniskillen at 10:10, no traffic problems at all, in fact only held up south of Cavan town (roadworks). The only real issue we had was in Asda, the place was packed, Ii mean really packed. Queue's down every aisle, down the centre aisle, it seemed people were just buying anything because it was cheap. A staff member told us that the previous week the store had to closed for safety reasons (too many people). The shelves were being emptied quicker than the staff could replenish them - in fact, one staff member trying to negotiate the centre aisle with a pallet of Strongbow had to give up halfway because of the amount of people and trollies in it!!!

Anyway went over the road to Tesco and it was a different scene altogether, no queue's, car park half empty, and to be honest the prices were very similar to Asda's, my advice would be to try Tesco as well if you are in the area, anyway, it was well worth the drive, prices are a lot cheaper and it's no hassle.

Also went into the Erneside shopping centre there - my other half refuses to buy anything from New Look locally because of the dual prices on the tags, so was pleased to find a New Look here (as well as, marks and sparks, next, game, argos etc.). Definately go back shopping here (obviously not at the weekend, but then I wouldn't shop locally at the weekend anyway).

One final thing, Asda do a great breakfast with unlimited top ups of tea and coffee!! Jobs a good 'un. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mickeydee

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Any atm will give you the best rate. :)

Personally I just get sterling from the ATM or use a CC. This paying in Euro lark is not for me. I am up there so often there is no point taking Euro up there. I personally think the paying in Euro is some sort of a scam esp with the €1=£1stg places as they will give you 15% off if you pay in sterling.

ive done the same, ATM is the best way to go. One thing ive noticed with the €1=£1stg shop are that the prices seem to be that little bit higher for the same thing in another shop, id say they just advertise this to get people into there shop and the prices are that bit higher to cover there loss on what looks to some people to be an excellent exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Just be careful you don't get charged. I'm with BOI and last time I was up there I made the mistake of not using a BOI atm. I was charged 11 quid cirrus charge.

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Mickeydee wrote: »
    I noticed they dont sell any Henieken there, can any1 tell me why ??

Id say they just ran out mate. I was in the same Sainsbury's on Weds and they had cans\bottles and the little 5litre kegs. Although there wasnt much left. I didnt bother with it anyways, got a couple of slabs of harp,miller,fosters and magners. Also picked up a few guinness packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

Went to Enniskillen last thursday (5th), left from the midlands about 8:30 in the morning got to enniskillen at 10:10, no traffic problems at all, in fact only held up south of Cavan town (roadworks). The only real issue we had was in Asda, the place was packed, Ii mean really packed. Queue's down every aisle, down the centre aisle, it seemed people were just buying anything because it was cheap. A staff member told us that the previous week the store had to closed for safety reasons (too many people). The shelves were being emptied quicker than the staff could replenish them - in fact, one staff member trying to negotiate the centre aisle with a pallet of Strongbow had to give up halfway because of the amount of people and trollies in it!!!

Anyway went over the road to Tesco and it was a different scene altogether, no queue's, car park half empty, and to be honest the prices were very similar to Asda's, my advice would be to try Tesco as well if you are in the area, anyway, it was well worth the drive, prices are a lot cheaper and it's no hassle.

Also went into the Erneside shopping centre there - my other half refuses to buy anything from New Look locally because of the dual prices on the tags, so was pleased to find a New Look here (as well as, marks and sparks, next, game, argos etc.). Definately go back shopping here (obviously not at the weekend, but then I wouldn't shop locally at the weekend anyway).

One final thing, Asda do a great breakfast with unlimited top ups of tea and coffee!! Jobs a good 'un. :D

untrue, has never happen and probably never will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Dooish wrote: »
    untrue, has never happen and probably never will

Have heard this from all over the place, was even on The Last Word, so there must be some truth in it? Perhaps it wasn't closed as such, but they stopped more people coming in until some had left?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

it is true they closed asda as my brother was there! they didn't close as in close ... they closed the doors to prevent more people coming in and when 6 people left they would let 6 more in ... so there!

wyndham wrote: »
    Have heard this from all over the place, was even on The Last Word, so there must be some truth in it? Perhaps it wasn't closed as such, but they stopped more people coming in until some had left?
    tregan wrote: »
    it is true they closed asda as my brother was there! they didn't close as in close ... they closed the doors to prevent more people coming in and when 6 people left they would let 6 more in ... so there!

i work there so i know its untrue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

For anyone going to Erneside Shopping Centre in Enniskillen - The GF went up there last Friday and they hadn't the barriers installed in the car park. She didn't know what the heck to do as she saw a Pay Machine etc. so she asked some members of staff... The reply "We haven't installed the barriers yet, so free parking" - Happy days :D

NOTE: This could have changed since last week

JohnCleary wrote: »
    For anyone going to Erneside Shopping Centre in Enniskillen - The GF went up there last Friday and they hadn't the barriers installed in the car park. She didn't know what the heck to do as she saw a Pay Machine etc. so she asked some members of staff... The reply "We haven't installed the barriers yet, so free parking" - Happy days :D

carpark free untill after christmas and then its paying

asda free for 3 hours then a £60 fine for staying over that

Nope. It was still free on Friday night. :)

The only thing I would say is that car park is the most confusing multi-storey I have ever used. I would recommend parking on the roof if you have any large and heavy purchases as the lifts do not serve all the levels of the car park resulting in having to lug items up stairs to reach your level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Dooish wrote: »
    asda free for 3 hours then a £60 fine for staying over that

Someone mentioned in this thread that they can't enforce this fine legally though?

Someone mentioned in this thread that they can't enforce this fine legally though?
    Correct.

Asda have no legal authority to fine anyone, only the police and the courts can do that. I suspect they will get Euro Car Parks in to manage it for them. They can be safely ignored. Private parking tickets are merely invoices for parking based on the laws of contract. Said contract is with the driver and not the registered keeper. So if they were ever to take anyone to court they would have to sue the driver and the registered keeper is not obliged to disclose that information. It would be up to asda/ Euro car parks to prove who the driver was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 the roadwarrior

If you go as far as Banbridge there is a tesco there its cheaper then down here but you will have the same stuff as down here i like going to the other shops as they have things i dont see in the shops down here

what about late night shopping any 24 hour opening in newry either in shop centre or diy area

what about late night shopping any 24 hour opening in newry either in shop centre or diy area
    AFAIK there is no 24 hour shopping in Newry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm just back from a few days shopping up there. Stayed well away from Newry and had no queue problems whatsoever.

Went to the Outlet in Bannbridge, was fantastic. Got boxes of Thorntons chocolates for under £3 each, that sorts out a lot of Christmas presents. About 10 miles beyond that there was a massive centre with Curry's, Toy-R-Us and Sainsburys. Couldn't believe there were no queue. Wouldn't even have called the place 'busy' let alone crazy! Went straight to cash register - no waiting behind trolleys.

For the rest of the time I was in Belfast City. Nice place, market in town centre is fab! Way cheaper than the republic but still, the Outlets are better value. Castle Court Shopping Centre in the City was great, 25% off a lot of things. Got lots of cheap MAC makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

went up to newry yesterday, left early as everyone was on about traffic, got to newry and NO TRAFFIC. was a bit early so i decided to head to banbridge to the outlet and work our way back, got some cool deals on clothes there then left there and headed for Donolly (sp) retail park where i had prebooked an xbox 360 the day before online (60gig model with 3 games and an extra controller for 175pound) then headed for the quays expecting major traffic and guess what NONE again :D happy days, hit the shops got some good bargains and headed home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

projectgtr wrote: »
    went up to newry yesterday, left early as everyone was on about traffic, got to newry and NO TRAFFIC.

I went friday night (hit the M1 around 7pm), and it was the same for me. Sainsburys wasn't too busy and there was plenty of stock available for most products, so i filled up on booze in no time. I think leaving it so late was a good thing as it stopped me spending a ridiculous amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ed54

Is this a record?

Arrived in ASDA Enniskillen @ 5pm, did a quick run around ; beers/wine and some spirits - the 3 for £10 wines are relatively unknown varieties but other good stuff at £6 - 8 a bottle. got some selection boxes/sweets/biscuits. The place was not crowded and was out of there @ 5:30 and headed for Tescos across the road which was even quieter. Had expected that Tesco was open to 11pm but was closing @ 6pm so had to do a quick blitz for all the household stuff. All in all, got about 90% of what we needed in 1 hour!, its the only was to do xmas shopping. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Be careful when paying for your items in Euros, shops charge different and sometimes very expensive rates. You could be cheaper using your credit card.

Anyway have fun!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

You can check the bureau de change in the buttercrane on the web it's rates are updated daily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

went to Enniekillen on Sat morn, left Roscommon at 5am got there at 7am. Place was empty'ish(ASDA). Car full by 8.15 am. It was such a joy to shop there, to actually get a smile and the offer of help was such a change from shopping down here. Got a lot of own brand stuff, a lot of offers for multibuys. the xchange rate was 85c if paying in euros
    Headed across 2 Ernside for 9am, just for a look, then across to Iceland (80c if paying in euros) I was like a kid in a candy shop. Was carrying shopping which limited the amount I could buy, but actually got quite a bit. On the road home by 9.50, carpark was wedged at that time there was a q for my spot.

When the family saw what I got, all they want for Christmas now is to go to Enniskillen!!!!!!!!! Love it. Only thing is they don't want to hit the road so early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Any of the smaller shops worth visiting in Enniskillen? I tend to go to just Asda, Tesco, Dunnes, Currys and Argos and never bother venturing over to where Woolworths etc is. Any shops over that end of the town worth going to? Im heading up there on Thursday morning.

Advertisement