02-12-2020, 10:45   #916
pixelburp

I wasn't even aware it was abandoned in the first place; was it a case of technology outpacing the facility, or funding? Kinda sad to see for sure, such a truly iconic location. Had only watched Contact again the other week
Advertisement
03-12-2020, 18:40   #917
Agent Coulson

Donner, Gibson & Glover are returning for Lethal Weapon 5.

Donner is writing the script at the moment.
03-12-2020, 18:43   #918
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Ah, I was wondering what that sound outside my window was - obviously a dead horse being flogged.
03-12-2020, 18:43   #919
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Coulson View Post
Donner, Gibson & Glover are returning for Lethal Weapon 5.

Donner is writing the script at the moment.
Jaysus. That seems ... .. ill advised. Glover cuts a very old looking 74 these days; presumably the script will be of the "passing the torch" variety cos he really is too old for this shít now...
03-12-2020, 20:07   #920
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Good old JLG has hit the big nine zero:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status...322897922?s=20

Possibly the greatest director left standing. At his worst, his films are fascinatingly infuriating. At his best - and his ninth decade brought some of his absolute best - the films are as vital, playful and experimental as anything the medium has ever produced. Raise a glass to JLG, but make sure to smash cut to some random phrase against a brightly coloured background or something.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-12-2020, 21:48   #921
jill_valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
I wasn't even aware it was abandoned in the first place; was it a case of technology outpacing the facility, or funding? Kinda sad to see for sure, such a truly iconic location. Had only watched Contact again the other week
From what I've read, it was the funding, it was damaged in the storms a while ago and the funding for repair just never came. It had been assessed again recently and the decision was made that it was simply too dangerous to repair because of the nature of the structure, so it was to be decommissioned and the collapse just hastened the process.

There was more advanced tech elsewhere but apparently there was one particular kind of relatively near imaging it was uniquely equipped for in the world, so it does still represent a loss scientifically. The kind of thing where the cutting edge is pointing somewhere else, so the cost of replacing something lower on the evolutionary tree is no longer justified.
05-12-2020, 11:18   #922
Sonics2k

So I recently heard the song Sleeping Awake by P.O.D, which was one of the theme songs for the Matrix Reloaded, so decided to give it another watch.

Gods they really did go bloody mental on the plot of this thing. Instead of being a great story and kinda meaningful like the first one, this one clearly tries so damn hard to be deep and meaningful and it just ends up being really pretentious.

Literally the only reason to watch them is for the over the top fight scenes.
06-12-2020, 01:05   #923
JP Liz V1

The Russo’s plan to start filming #TheGrayMan next month with Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling. The film will be the start of a new franchise
06-12-2020, 14:44   #924
CastorTroy

Today I learned there's a Disney version of Pump Up The Volume. Radio Rebel was on Rte 2 and has a similar premise.
Though didn't watch it, seems it's actually based on a book about a shy student who's secretly the voice of the most popular podcast or station in school
Advertisement
07-12-2020, 10:46   #925
p to the e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
The Russo’s plan to start filming #TheGrayMan next month with Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling. The film will be the start of a new franchise
TIL the Russos brothers directed the pilot of Arrested Development
07-12-2020, 12:18   #926
mikhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
The film will be the start of a new franchise
Not lacking in confidence, are they?
07-12-2020, 12:23   #927
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
Not lacking in confidence, are they?
Practically tempting the fates for this to be a spectacular flop; I think the Russos might be overestimating their abilities to sell a vehicle here. The Avengers sold themselves, and without coming across contrarian, succeeded despite the Russos, not because of them.
07-12-2020, 12:31   #928
mikhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
... The Avengers sold themselves, and without coming across contrarian, succeeded despite the Russos, not because of them.
I'm not a fan, either. I think the action they direct is lazily choreographed and they try to hide it with frenetic editing that produces a chaotic mess.
07-12-2020, 12:39   #929
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
I'm not a fan, either. I think the action they direct is lazily choreographed and they try to hide it with frenetic editing that produces a chaotic mess.
100% agreed. The Russos deserve praise in how Infinity War juggled a bazillion characters and plot strands, yet held together as a coherent narrative. What they managed was nothing short of a miracle - Infinity War could have failed in a dozen different ways.

But as you say though, their action choreography was bloody awful to watch. They could learn a lot from the likes of Mission Impossible: Fallout .
07-12-2020, 12:47   #930
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

I’m no fan of the MCU overall, but the Russos are poor visual directors even by the mediocre standards of the franchise as a whole.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion