Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dance music in ireland

• 19-09-2002 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

la la la,what is everyones opinion of dance music in ireland?well to me i think it's pants not enough clubs full of begrudgers and damn impossible to get gigs

i play trance don't care what anyone else thinks about it if it's cheesey or not but i've pretty much decided to give up djing and keep it as a hobbie because of the way ireland is with dance music

i shall explain
    firstly theres to many different factions when it comes to dance music people that play trance or hard house are condidered knackers pill poppers playing cheese all that crapby people who consider what they listen to as "cool" music that "educates" people like house techno progressive,why can't people just except that everyone likes different music and that it would be a boring place if everyone liked the same music,you very rarelyu here people who play trance complaining about techno saying it's crap or what ever it always seems to be the other way around

another thing the few clubs that are over her theres not enough variety only certain clubs get certain dj's like for eg sasha digweed car cox steve lawlor play the redbox then picotto jules lisa lashes whatever play the temple,i likes the red box but i'd prefer if they expanded there music policy much like all the clubs and before people start saying the temple is full of knackers there the rough crowd everywhere and you'd get varied crowds with different music styles

basically i think irelands backwards with dance music we get excited about pants line ups for cream fields when in england the line up is much better theres loads more i wanna say maybe i'll type it later coz i'm going for a smoke

and it's just my opinion i'm not saying it's right so nobody better start getting on there high horse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Rev. Funky

First of all everybody is entitled to there opinion, any slagging about piccotto cheese or trance knackers is only said jokingly, so grow a thicker skin my pedigree chum. I think thought that the dance sceane in Ireland is pretty much crap due to loads of reasons.
    For starters the so called dance music stations tend to go for the wrong kinda tunes ie mad out of it tunes (pitch up to +8, which less face it are great in massive arenas, but not something you want to listen to while driving your car (unless its a Micra with No Fear sticker on the back)
    Or else they go for total chessy pop/house, which are great in a club after 14 after shocks but not the kinda stuff you want to be listening to.

The you have your pregressive stuff and techno which I to be honest can't really pass comment on because I don't listen to any of it

I myself listen to house nothing to deep or repetitive, I love soulful house plenty of lyrics and nice funky loops which I think are perfect for clubs.

Basically what I am trying to say is that certain places would suite ceratin types of music, I don't think a club is a place for Trance or Hard House and something like an arean ie Basketball Arena, SFX Centre, like it was in the earlier days of dance.
    Because peoples tastes are so different , and people who like HH and trance will admit its not everyones cup of tea.
    I am rambling on a bit now so lets hear what yis think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Derek_S

missed the point abit funky i'm not giving out about anyone slagging stuff messing of the forum i'm talking about dj's promoters that i've met that slate you

i know trance and hardhouse aren't everyones cup of tea but all trance gets genrelised and called cheesey when people haven't got a clue about it,and it's all frank kennedys fault coz theres no choice coz he has a monopoly

I was trying to say that but I went astray somewhere, I tend to do that from time to time, the doctor says its because I have a big knob, anyway I agree with you in what your saying about all that Frank Kennedy muck but if you see above I made the point that it is the stations who have fooked things up, with the music styles and their promotions , but in fairness I think that if you listen to Hot FM/Energy/Mad anyway its a fair reflection on what type of night you go for and as I said I think them night are aimed for the younger more impressionable sound because trust me Jonny when your 25 you'll be asking yourself how in the name of jaysus you listened to that music in the first place, I grew up on trance techno and anything banging but its just a natural progression with music taste, ie every starts listening to Oasis then they listen to the beatles (which should have been the other way round) then they tend to move onto Coldplay, Travis Bob dylan etc

pants man i've been listening to trance for 5 years still love it stuff i listen to i like i don't think you can say that when ya get older your music taste changes does for some people not for everyone but i still see your point

• Advertisement

don't get me wrong I still like trance music , but I feel that everyones taste changes, if it didn't we would all be going aroung with afros and bell bottom trousers and butterfly collar shirts, music is like fashion your taste in music will change without you even knowing

your getting alittle to philosophical for me damo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Im_Not_Here

Its not just in Ireland that the dance club scene has been struggling but it does seem to be worse over there than it is even in Scotland!!

Some changes are starting to happen over here as new promoters up and down the country give more and more up and coming scottish dj's a chance to play out and give clubbers decent music at a decent price! How many of these nites/dj's go on to be successful remains to be seen.... but at least they're trying!!! On saying all that it does seem to be the case that even the successful scottish dj's dont seem to do much outside of the scottish scene (except for slam) which is a bit of a shame really!

One of the other things that seems to be happening is that various clubnites are going back to providing a variety of music in their clubs to cater to the tastes of more clubbers. For example Inside Out which seemingly used to have a variety of styles, had gone to being pretty much a hard trance club. Well last month they had a funky room which was a great success so is now gonna become a permanent feature! Personally i think this is the way forward to getting people back to basics and realising that all the petty arguments about different genres of music is just pointless..... and its all about having a good time!!! :D

And thats my tuppence worth!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭allan f

i'd love to reply but i could not be arsed typing!!

i think your all lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

it sucks and that is that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jeuneespoire

Not that i don't like other types of music it's just there arnt enough dj's playing trance in clubs here. I'm a trance producer myself. there just aint enough people doing it anymore....

while your here take a listen to my stuff here:
    http://www.want-signed.com/category/artists/matthewlaming

Advertisement