Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most annoying things when selling your motor

• 24-02-2021 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

So just a general thing I've noticed when selling cars over the years.

what is going on with this.

1.whats the best you will take?
    2.ill give you 30-50% less than asking cash tonight.
    3.asking to view car past 10 pm. (In winter)
    4.showing up with 3 other people.
    5.asking things that are clearly present in add.
    6.asking to swap for something non car related.
    7.is this still available and nothing more after.

They are the most common ive had and can think of right now!

What has happen to actually seeing a bangernomic for 2k and ringing or texting and offering 1800 to start negotiations and have it either refused or countered.

I wouldn't dare offer someone 1k if they had a car up for 2k even if i thought the car was worth only 1k!

All this said I've sold cars from €100 up to 7k it's definitely worse at the lower end but even the 7k car was getting 3k offers. I mean yes of course id take a 4k loss the mind boggles.

Is it just me or is this just standard now?

The last couple of cars ive sold in the past 3 years ive got someone else to take the calls/texts and only deal with people in person when they turn up.

I see now why people trade cars into garages!

Just a disclaimer im not a motor trader, i just like cars. My dad bought me my first car at 9 or 10 told me offer the man 30 pounds less than the asking without insulting him or he might not sell you the car at all and made the petrol head this post is from. When i got my license i had at least 10-15 cars a year for the first 3 years. i used drive insurance company nuts 😂

What does your head in when selling a vehicle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Literally from yesterday.

Screenshot-20210224-171116-Facebook.jpg

To make matters worse, that crucial question was asked via messenger at 1.30am

Screenshot-20210224-171227-Facebook.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

I like the good morning part, i had a guy private message me yesterday,

whats the best price be

I didn't reply!

Today commented is this still available?

I Reply yes

He replys
    Thanks how much you looking for the car

Price is there in black and white!

Am i too bargain myself down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

When someone asks what’s the lowest you will take, ask them back what’s their highest.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭User1998

Literally from yesterday.

Screenshot-20210224-171116-Facebook.jpg

To make matters worse, that crucial question was asked via messenger at 1.30am

At least he bothered to write it in English, I constantly get messages in foreign languages on FB Marketplace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

On the other side, I was buying a 2001 530i e39 back in 08. Took it for a spin and a look around the car, was happy to buy it. Private sale, about 10 grand if I remember correctly. Seller asked me to sign for the car, saying I was happy car was as described and had no defects and wouldn't hold him liable for any faults that developed.

Turned me straight off the deal. What was he hiding? I never found out, walked away. Bought another one I had my eye on. Still best car I've had to this day.

Would have bought the first one if he didn't produce the stupid bit of paper from his pocket.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    On the other side, I was buying a 2001 530i e39 back in 08. Took it for a spin and a look around the car, was happy to buy it. Private sale, about 10 grand if I remember correctly. Seller asked me to sign for the car, saying I was happy car was as described and had no defects and wouldn't hold him liable for any faults that developed.

Turned me straight off the deal. What was he hiding? I never found out, walked away. Bought another one I had my eye on. Still best car I've had to this day.

Would have bought the first one if he didn't produce the stupid bit of paper from his pocket.

Never heard of that before, Id turn away on that one myself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"There's one with lower mileage and cheaper for sale in xxxxx"

Well fcuk off over to XXXX and buy it and stop wasting my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

1.whats the best you will take?

These 2 are the worst. I recently sold my Avensis which was used as a taxi by the previous owner so had high mileage and I priced it as such. Texts and calls offering 50% or complaining about the high mileage or whats the lowest you'd take. It makes your blood boil.

It seems to be worse now than a few years ago, not sure if lockdown has anything to do with it or is just the norm now.

But yes I can see myself just trading in for the next change to avoid the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Actually another one - Will you reduce the price cause the tax is high (pre 08 cars)? Tax is between you and the revenue, not my problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

People turning up early to viewings, ten or fifteen minutes is fine but I’ve had someone turn up an hour early. Safe to say that sale didn’t happen.
    Someone rang me to tell me my asking was ‘too high for what it was’, quickly pointed out she lived two hours away and must be ringing me because I was still one of the lowest priced cars within that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's fun sometimes to string along some clown texting you with offers on a car they havn't set eyes on. I always use a burner SIM so not worried about comeback.

It's fun sometimes to string along some clown texting you with offers on a car they havn't set eyes on. I always use a burner SIM so not worried about comeback.

Ah the aul donedeal phone many a person has those id say! Lol

That said i once organised to view a car in meath or near it, around 3+ hour drive text to say on the way and he sent me a location to meet him petrol station, about 15 mins away text no reply got to said location phone off. Tried for an hour nothing.

So 6 hour journey plus costs for nothing, i was furious this was back in the day when you could type a number in to facebook and magic the seller name ect popped up.

I was going to name and shame on the book but i didnt want to waste anymore energy on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

There are plenty of chancers like that, hoping that one is selling because they need money right now and literally looking to buy into that need.

On the other hand...a lot of cars are priced into absolute dreamer territory - in particular when it comes to dealers, usually defeating any logic.

There's one specific ad that's been around since 2018 and gets refreshed every month or so - a delaer looking for 25k for a 2014 car, which has now been sitting 2 years in the forecourt. Unless there's some major flaw with the car, it amazes me the dealer hasn't got the concept that the asking price might be a tad high :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I had an enquiry for an ad from over 6 years ago recently, was it still for sale? God alone knows where they got it from.

In the pre COVID days the worst ones were the phone calls just after the pub turned out, prime time for time wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Its only worth scrap, ill give ye €100 to take her away for ye today!

Yeah, I'm looking for you to do me that big service......boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's not just cars. Adverts is the same and incredibly frustrating - especially as you as the seller can't then delete the nonsense, setting the tone for other offers.

Agree though with the points above. The idea that I'll undercut myself with the 'best price' is extremely annoying. If I wanted less I'd have priced it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's not just cars. Adverts is the same and incredibly frustrating - especially as you as the seller can't then delete the nonsense, setting the tone for other offers.

Agree though with the points above. The idea that I'll undercut myself with the 'best price' is extremely annoying. If I wanted less I'd have priced it that way.

Actually you're entirely right - about a year ago I sold one of my PCs, a less than one year old gaming rig with a Ryzen 7 and 32GB of RAM. I made a quick check, the parts in it were worth about 1000 Euro on Amazon, so I put it up for 600, expecting to sell for 500. Advert had thousands of visits and hundreds of people putting it in the "observed" list, but most came up with 50-100 Euro "offers", while all the "observers" were waiting for me to get fed up and lower the price.

Many people on these are also out for a "flipping" opportunity, buying something for a ridiculously low price and reselling straight way - although it might be a bit more difficult with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭dobman88

When someone rings and asks for your best price. You reply: my best price is €10,000 but I don't think I'll get that so its priced to sell at 1200. Any texts asking silly questions get auto deleted without reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Had a car for sale for €13k recently.

Text "€9k tonight"
    Me "As a deposit?"
    Text "you ******* **** you're a ******* ******* I don't even want the car"
    Text 5 mins later "€10k tonight"

Also got another €9k offer by phone call, I told the person they must have the wrong number and well.. the response was similar to above :pac:

On the flip side, I sold the car for €12.5k to a person who text me "is this still available" 15 mins after the ad went live.

• Advertisement

Murt102 wrote: »

Text "€9k tonight"
    Me "As a deposit?"

Also got another €9k offer by phone call, I told the person they must have the wrong number and well.. the response was similar to above :pac:

On the flip side, I sold the car for €12.5k to a person who text me "is this still available" 15 mins after the ad went live.

"is this still available" is the standard message that DD for instance offer.

Murt102 wrote: »

Text "€9k tonight"
    Me "As a deposit?"

Similar, i had a SWB Vitara for sale recently.

Had it up for 1750 i think it was. A fella sent me a Donedeal message offering "500 cash tonight".

As a general rule, i like to try and make peoples day, so i always reply to all of those type of messages with "i'm stuck for money so i'll take that once you can collect today".

I've never had a reply to that with any ad bar this once with the Vitara. So i sent it on and anyways after about 15 mins the phone rings and i answer, had a good 5 minute chat with what sounded like a sensible fella asking about tyres, service history, tax and NCT, all the usual stuff. He says that sounds great, i'll take it for the €500 then, will i leave now, so i said ah i thought you were only joking offering me 500 for a 1750 car so i was just going along with it, grand says he sure i might still be interested in it for a few euro more, does it have a tow bar on it?

It does, say I. So he says you can go outside to the jeep and sit on it so you ignorant **** and hung up the phone on me.

It takes all sorts, i suppose.

and did you?

Still not walking right after it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That was a great reply in fairness to him. :D

I bought an mg zr off adverts a couple year ago and it was not as described on the add, very long list of problems not mentioned in add. Seller mentioned moving to Australia as reason for sale.

So i get there the clutch pedal was almost touching the plastic of the dash! The coolant bottle had a liquid inside with the consistency of gravy. It was a k series so i asked does it overheated. No he said so i said that lucky considering the muck and k series rep for eating head gaskets!

Anyway after some hard bargaining as i was not giving him anywhere near his asking we came to a price and i took it.

I fixed all the mechanical gremlins etc drove it for 4 month's went to sell it on was asking the same as the previous owner bearing in mind its mechanically sound now.

He bombarded my add with crap like you said head gasket gone to me when you bought it, clutch gone, put up how much i paid him for it etc etc

Did this to two adds i blocked him on adverts then.
    Clearly didnt move anywhere and wasn't happy i was selling the car? Madness.

I saw about a year later same person selling another shed apparently moving to dublin this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Adverts support staff have been obliging in the past by deleting the nonsense comments for me. I'm sure they can judge the tone of the interaction and if seller is genuine.

Also, it's worth using the "minimum offer" option I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭User1998

Its best to just turn public comments off completely and let people PM you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

I find adverts is a bit odd for selling or buying stuff.
    Some lads set a price of , say 100. Gets asked a question , best price ? And it drops to 70.
    Others are fixed at a price and 6 months down the line

Then on top of that adverts is free so you can leave your stuff up for as long as you like . Ive stuff lying around the place that i have up for 2 years and it eventually sells .
    One of my experiences of adverts
    I have a set of 5 alloys with bald tyres up for sale for 100.
    I got an offer of 80 which i accepted.
    Buyer drove 40 miles to collect them . Complained the tyres werent good enough and offered 60. Told him no and sent him on his way. I would have accepted 60 if he offered 60 at the start but cant stand timewasters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"Swap 4 may ad?"

Mate, your ad is for a half eaten sandwich and a broken PS3

Advertisement