Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Euromillions €210 million

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

startrek56 wrote: »
    anyone know the answer to this?? genuine question...how do the superrich do it?

walking around a dubai mall, walk into a shop, just buy a 100k watch then go down the road and pick up a 1m supercar... how does it work? is there some special type of credit card that you could have 5m on or what?

you have a team of accountants, you ring them up and tell them to pay, afriend of mine's sister used to do this job, she had her boss ring her up on a friday evening to pay for a Range Rover as he didnt want (or like, not 100%) a rental car. she told him to cop the **** on and use the rental, as the payment wouldnt go through over the weekend.

whenever the wife bought furniture or an appliance, she always bought multiples, one for each house to keep each places similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Yurt! wrote: »
    After giving this further thought, it really is f*ck off money, so I'd get creative and behave in as an eccentric way as possible.

First, I'd hire a stable of henchmen:

- An ashen-faced Japanese man with a mustache who will interpret my every word at social events into Japanese for no particular reason

- Ex-Spetsnaz Russian special forces bodyguard dressed in a white suit, who'll have a box of tic tacs on hand so my breath is minty fresh at all times. If anyone approaches me, I'll instruct him to ask me "should I put him in a sleeper hold boss?" To which I'll always say: "no Nicholai, we can trust this one. And besides, we don't want another mess like Tel Aviv on our hands."

- An attractive Cambridge-educated secretary of Jewish descent. To whom I will dictate letters to people I have met at socials, and send them a review and my thoughts of them.

"Liebe Herr Schwab, I found our conversation about ECB interest rates to be an utter bore, and your understanding of modern monetary theory to be puerile and laced with Hayekian presumptions. I would however like to meet your wife unaccompanied by you. Please send arrangements to my secretary at your earliest convenience."

- An Orthodox Rabbai, so I can consult on and debate matters of great ethical importance.

- A team of sexy female North Korean Taekwondo masters who will accompany me to Paris fashion week dressed in simple little black numbers and black berets.

- Michael Healy Rae as my PR and spokesperson.

I'd also travel via hovercraft wherever possible.

You win that money, I quit my job and work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’d get some proper investment and tax advice - and not from Irish sources - we’ve all seen what the ‘bankers’ did gambling the nations financial stability and future away.

I’d tell my parents I won 3 million & give them one and tell them I will buy my brother a house but not to tell him yet as it would ruin him and he is happy living with his gf in her house & paying her rent.

I’d definately either buy or rent long term a property in a high net worth area where everyone is wealthy and expects discretion - so you will fit right in. Aspen or Whistler or Switzerland on a lake - skiing in the winter and watersports and hiking/climbing/mountainbiking/whatever you’re having yourself in the mountains in the summer.

I’d spend some time in luxury villa resorts in places like Thailand and Malysia - everything luxury, every whim catered for, top service and amazing food. When the hurricane season came in I’d head off elsewhere & not have to worry about the roof blowing off or the veranda flooding/ being washed away by tsunamis.

I’d help some of the charities supporting marganilised hardworking families in isolated areas in countries where are dirt poor - Nepal, Inuit tribes, isolated rainforest communities trying to protect their rainforests from illegal logging. People who are clinging on by their fingertips and still trying to support their families and environment.

There’s a few charities or causes I’d really help - one that supports the wildlife rangers in africa & buys them proper equipment & supports their families & provides proper housing & medical care - once they do the job and do it well. It was set up by a NZ ranger who was appalled at how his counterparts out protecting wild elephants & rhinos lived & the pittance & dreadful resources & lifestyles they had compared to poachers.

I’d also look at some of the charities in Nepal who help families whose relations have been killed or maImed rescuing wealthy white tourists off their vanity holidays on Nepalese mountains and help their children and communities too.

I’d set up a small limited company & organise a series media channels & employ a PR agency to counterbalance all the bull**** I see on the news & media here every day - provide a medium for a voice of reason and balanced view rather than the screamers paid for by our taxes and doled out by government hacks and self promoting govt agencies.

After this (covid) is over I’d rent out a hotel like for a wedding and pay for everyone to have a room & their travel down and have a big 2 or 3 day party/holiday - I’d tell them all not to say I’d paid for a select few of my ‘families closest friends & favourite ‘peoples rooms as a cover! I’d have a mother of all parties with Cirque performances and a lode of different cabaret acts & a mother of all bands & disco & all the ladies could spend the day in the spa foc getting beautified and pampered if they wanted. Then I’d head off after everyone left to another fancy hotel and stay there to lounge about in more luxury and iorned sheets before heading back home to catch up on everyones stories and party gossip and eat my bodyweight in Tayto. I’d do that for the family and extended friends every year or so, so everyone could catch up like a wedding but without the pressure of hotels/presents/costs etc.

I’d definately rent a yacht and crew and have them sail me around incredible parts of the world I’d otherwise never see & bask in the sun and dive off into clear perfect waters & sandy coves & have a chef on board so I wouldn’t have to suffer my own cooking ever again.

I’d tell people I was travelling for work and make up a cover story with a linkedIn profile for some front of a company that would explain all my travel and not blow my cover.

I’d employ on a salary a legal & media team to force the government to stop discriminating against families paying a mortage so that there would be a proper SW payment they could apply for that would help them continue paying their mortgage=rent if they lost their job and they wouldn’t have to spend every penny of their dole keeping a roof over their heads and struggling in poverty while dole dossers who never worked or contributed a day in their lives get a house at e20 a week and can smoke or eat the balance of their dole while hardworking committed familymen struggle to survive.

That’d do for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

First, stay anonymous.

Had the conversation with my wife when it was €180m about how I'd have divvied it up then.

€10m - My parents
    €10m - Her parents
    €10m - My brother
    €10m - Her brother
    €10m - Her Sister
    €10m time released trust fund - Son 1
    €10m time released trust fund - Son 2
    €10m time released trust fund - Daughter

€10m - Charity

€20m - Joint account to live off for the rest of our lives.

€35m - For me
    €35m - For her

With the extra in this jackpot, it'd just up the amount going into our personal accounts.

Buy a nice house and make sure the kids go to good schools. Go on nice holidays, but otherwise live modestly. Wouldn't flaunt it.

Jaysus you are giving away millions to the tax man.

Any wanting to keep your anonymity whilst giving millions to family members would be hard too, some of them might lose the run of themselves completely.

On the issue of buying houses for family members, say you buy your brother a house for €400k, hand him the keys. Is he only liable for tax if he sells it? Or will he have a tax bill from the off?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Obviously keep it to myself and sort out my family,
    I'd give them enough to buy there properties out right and then top them up with 100 grand every year or so ,
    I want them to be comfortable but not keep the incentive to still work and so on , I

I 'd leave Ireland 100% probably move to Italy or France and buy a vineyard with stables ,
    I'd spend most of my time in Europe France, Italy ,Switzerland, Austria , Croatia

Id pack my job in & I'd 100% start my own business ,what exactly iv a few ideas but I'd need a bit of guidance on what's best ,

I would start my own charity - educating people from some of the worst of places on earth & helping them get all the way to & through college

I'd travel to a lot major sporting event's .

I'd be quit happy to live a simple enough life but with money ,
    I don't need sports cars or fancy watches , yachts , parties , none of that just a big nice house with land and nice weather, I'd never buy a car just lease them

Then when the kids are grown up id start to Travel a lot more and further a field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm not super flash, but I'd go with building a nice house. Probably one of those nice wood-log and rock style mansions like this but I wouldn't want an absolutely massive house at all. Larger space there for a workshop and garage. I'd want the house to have a relaxed vibe on the outside, but the inside would be very high tech, but I'd also invest heavily in making the house self-sustainable as much as possible.

I'd set up a corporation and start up a housing company aimed directly at the pinched middle who are stuck in the poverty trap and can't get a mortgage deposit together.

Money would be set aside for my kids in a trust, probably accessible when they turn 21 or so.

My mother loves her house, and I know she'd never want to move house again, so I'd buy the houses on her row and put them all in her name as one big house.

Aside from that, I'd travel as much as possible. Keep it all low key and just buy one of those massive campervans they have in the states and explore the world.

I'm pretty boring and don't do drugs so I reckon I'd be grand. Also I'd welcome the messages from the long lost friends asking for hand outs and enjoy not giving them a god damn penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Blanco100 wrote: »
    On the issue of buying houses for family members, say you buy your brother a house for €400k, hand him the keys. Is he only liable for tax if he sells it? Or will he have a tax bill from the off?

if he was to rent it off you for €1 a month, problem solved :)

Boscoirl wrote: »

Or you could sign him
    up as being a non tax resident in Ireland like half RTE used do and he wouldn’t be liable for a penny - he might have to spend a month or two on a luxury holiday or cruise with you and his family but with 200m in the bank that might not be a problem. Bonos lawyers could advise!

seamus wrote: »
    Buying a leisure boat of any size is easily one of the greatest wastes of money that anyone can embark on.

You spend more money on maintenance and mooring/storage fees than you would ever save by just renting out a private yacht whenever you fancy going sailing.

€100k to bring this bad boy out for two weeks in the Summer. Another €5k for a top-class chef/waiter.
    https://www.fraseryachts.com/en/yacht-for-charter/haze/

That's nothing when you have €200m. You could spend ten months of the year, every year on that boat, and after fifty years you'd have only spent half your money.

Or you could spend €5m buying a new boat of your own and another €1m a year on maintenance fees, regardless of how often you use it.

€5m seems low and €1m seems high there.

The real cost of these things is depreciation.

The rich don’t really think like you and I, or their financial planners don’t. Buying a house for a normal person is a cost, at least until the mortgage is paid down, buying a number of houses for the rich is just another store of value. As is art. Or jewellery. In many cases you get to use these things and make money.

Cars depreciate so they are probably not encouraged by planners as much.

But, as you said, Super Yachts have huge initial costs, large depreciation, and ongoing maintenance costs. They are a real cost which is why the super rich might buy them, to prove that are so rich the annual costs don’t matter.

Anyway the 210M isn't close to the top costs of these yachts.

https://www.atlasmarinesystems.com/most-expensive-yachts/

Or you could sign him
    up as being a non tax resident in Ireland like half RTE used do and he wouldn’t be liable for a penny - he might have to spend a month or two on a luxury holiday or cruise with you and his family but with 200m in the bank that might not be a problem. Bonos lawyers could advise!

Naw. That doesn’t work anymore, if it ever did. And it was U2 not Bono that moved to Holland. The company not the person.
    Boscoirl wrote: »

I think it’s safer to just let him stay for free.

• Advertisement

Naw. That doesn’t work anymore, if it ever did. And it was U2 not Bono that moved to Holland. The company not the person.

I think it’s safer to just let him stay for free.

He might feel like a freeloader thou, or under a compliment to the owner. Maybe a token rent - enough to have him legit but not so much that he might have to do an awful job or put up with nonsense from a boss or hassle from the taxman of investigated. e200 a month or something - a quarter of his dole if he decides to knock off work! ! OP can provide the rest if needed!!

Non resident tax scheme used work. Maybe its closed now.

Is there anything to be said for fixing a race? Gambling winnings are not taxable in Ireland - coild solve a few problems. Have the bookie tioped off and properly compensated - maybe a private 2 horse race with only family members invited and selected racetrack bets!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Kiith wrote: »
    I wouldn't stop working, i'd just stop working the job i have now. No way i'd be anything other then my own boss if i had that kind of money.

That's the smart thing to do.
    Like I get that some people like to keep busy. So just start your own thing. Even hire a manager to run the business. You're the boss but you can come and go as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

So if I win this 200milliin tonight, or even the 4.5milliin Irish lotto tomorrow, I still have to wait till the 5km restrictions end in April to collect it?? What would you do then??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So if I win this 200milliin tonight, or even the 4.5milliin Irish lotto tomorrow, I still have to wait till the 5km restrictions end in April to collect it?? What would you do then??

I'm fairly sure given the circumstances you don't need to go there to collect it and they'd have other arrangements.

Or maybe get a train or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Haha. A guard wouldn't say anything to you.
    Don't get me wrong, if you got pulled over and you said just off to Irish lotto as I won a significant amount they'd be like "yeah? That's a new one..."
    But just show them an email or whatever and it would be fine. That's even if you wanted to say Irish lotto. The guards only fine someone who is taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

The great dream what i would do with €210 million. A amount would go to charity say €60m

I would look after my 2 siblings maybe a million each.

I would set up a property company and put a directors loan into it of the balance of the winnings. I would then offer money to each local authority to select social housing that i would buy and lease to them for 20 years. Myself siblings parent and partner would be able to pull either wages or dividends from the company each year to live off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd go into politics and become a TD in Kerry by spending the winnings to fix every pothole and showing up and paying for every funeral.
    I'd make the ROI through mileage allowance, so obviously, no use being a Dublin TD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

scheister wrote: »
    The great dream what i would do with €210 million. A amount would go to charity say €60m

I would look after my 2 siblings maybe a million each.

I would set up a property company and put a directors loan into it of the balance of the winnings. I would then offer money to each local authority to select social housing that i would buy and lease to them for 20 years. Myself siblings parent and partner would be able to pull either wages or dividends from the company each year to live off.

dont think i would trust giving a charity that much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Would you leave the country? No
    Who would you help out? St Vincent de Paul
    Would you tell anyone? If they asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’d employ on a salary a legal & media team to force the government to stop discriminating against families paying a mortage so that there would be a proper SW payment they could apply for that would help them continue paying their mortgage=rent if they lost their job and they wouldn’t have to spend every penny of their dole keeping a roof over their heads and struggling in poverty while dole dossers who never worked or contributed a day in their lives get a house at e20 a week and can smoke or eat the balance of their dole while hardworking committed familymen struggle to survive.

That’d do for a start.

Rich people don't get to force the Government to do stuff. This isn't America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

So guys, the jackpot this Tuesday night is a staggering €210 million.

Question is, what would you do if you were the sole jackpot winner and scooped the lot?

I'd keep enough for myself and wife (pay her off:) ) and kids to be comfortable forever, but still keep myself as grounded as possible. I'd hate if me kids became arseholes cos if it. I'd imagine too theres so many trapdoors and new ventures that would cos pressure on familiy winning that amount, so I would be very open minded regards obtaining info on same. In saying that I'd actually have a fairly small but lavish as bjesus party with those who would be right beside whether I won it or not.

Would you leave the country?
    Wouldnt leave but wouldnt be able to stay in current home, the new pool and tennis court install would raise a few eyebrows from the neighbours in the current semi D!

I would have ireland as my permanent home, but would head to NYC to give myself time to figure out what I'm gonna do. Why NYC? There are millionaires on every corner and nobody is going to bother or give a sh*te about me and my new found finances. I'd have peace in one of the busiest places in the world!

Who would you help out?
    Have a large number Aunts, Uncles and cousins and would speak to a financial advisor and find out per relation what is the max they can receive off me without them or myself having to pay tax and they would get exactly that. Even raltions who I havent seen or spoken too in years or ever, they would all get the same. Could be easier to pay off a geasnai load of martgages then sell ther houses striaght back to them for a tenner!

Would do the same with friends.

I would do this as there was a relation of ours who split £2million in the old lotto in the 90's and decided to give each of their siblings different amounts. It caused murder. They would ave been better off giving everyone the same, even if that meant giving everyone nothing.

After that I would love to do philantropic stuff.
    Though Credit Unions, I would set up scholarships, bursaries, "needy funds" to provide governance over same... I'd be relcutant to give directly to any charities due to former scams etc. But charities could benefit through C.Unions.

Going through Credit Unions, means the community benefits, the C.Union can claim interests and re-invest etc...the banks can ask me rich freshly manicured ass!

Would you tell anyone?
    Nope, but impossible in ireland to hide it. Word would simply get out!

The begging letters?
    Yea, I'd keep sending them out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Not telling anyone would be the most important thing.

Id have to come up with a good cover story to justify some spending. eg. Some good investment decisions, unexpected inheritance.

Right now I would just make my life easier with simple changes

1. I'm in the middle of a house renovation while living in the house. Doing the work mostly myself while working full time. Wouldn't see myself living here after wining that much, so id move out to a hotel asap and hire someone to complete the work and rent it out.

2. I need to get somewhere abroad asap as im going crazy with this lockdown.

3. Probably just chillout for a few years. No working and just enjoying life.

4. Long term id start some business as there is only so long you can doss around spending money before you get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At that level of money you're better off setting up your own charity to oversee how it's spent.

Hand a lump sum like €60m to Concern and it'll cost €10m to distribute that money.

Because obviously they deal with a lot of small projects, and deal with them remotely. So they have quite a lot of staff and intermediaries to pay.

Where if you did it mostly yourself and stayed local, then you might only need to hire 2-3 people to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Interesting that extended family doesn't really enter into the heads of most people when it comes to divying out 200m quid. Assuming the tax implications can be sorted out with some creative accounting, you'd think dishing out a couple of mill each to assorted aunts/uncles and cousins would be a certainty when you're talking about such a big windfall.

Though maybe that's being naive. Thinking about my own extended family, most of whom I don't have much to do with, I'm not sure if the shoe was on the other foot, would ANY of them be breaking down my door with a big cheque in the weeks and months after a Lotto win. If I had to bet, they would disappear off the face of the Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Statistically youd end up killing one of them if you were handing out mills. Safer to spend it on yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

flended12 wrote: »
    So guys, the jackpot this Tuesday night is a staggering €210 million.

Question is, what would you do if you were the sole jackpot winner and scooped the lot?

I'd keep enough for myself and wife (pay her off:) ) and kids to be comfortable forever, but still keep myself as grounded as possible. I'd hate if me kids became arseholes cos if it. I'd imagine too theres so many trapdoors and new ventures that would cos pressure on familiy winning that amount, so I would be very open minded regards obtaining info on same. In saying that I'd actually have a fairly small but lavish as bjesus party with those who would be right beside whether I won it or not.

Would you leave the country?
    Wouldnt leave but wouldnt be able to stay in current home, the new pool and tennis court install would raise a few eyebrows from the neighbours in the current semi D!

I would have ireland as my permanent home, but would head to NYC to give myself time to figure out what I'm gonna do. Why NYC? There are millionaires on every corner and nobody is going to bother or give a sh*te about me and my new found finances. I'd have peace in one of the busiest places in the world!

Who would you help out?
    Have a large number Aunts, Uncles and cousins and would speak to a financial advisor and find out per relation what is the max they can receive off me without them or myself having to pay tax and they would get exactly that. Even raltions who I havent seen or spoken too in years or ever, they would all get the same. Could be easier to pay off a geasnai load of martgages then sell ther houses striaght back to them for a tenner!

Would do the same with friends.

I would do this as there was a relation of ours who split £2million in the old lotto in the 90's and decided to give each of their siblings different amounts. It caused murder. They would ave been better off giving everyone the same, even if that meant giving everyone nothing.

After that I would love to do philantropic stuff.
    Though Credit Unions, I would set up scholarships, bursaries, "needy funds" to provide governance over same... I'd be relcutant to give directly to any charities due to former scams etc. But charities could benefit through C.Unions.

Going through Credit Unions, means the community benefits, the C.Union can claim interests and re-invest etc...the banks can ask me rich freshly manicured ass!

Would you tell anyone?
    Nope, but impossible in ireland to hide it. Word would simply get out!

The begging letters?
    Yea, I'd keep sending them out! :D

I know a lad who won almost IR£2,000,000 back in the day and who got the begging letters. He kept them all and showed them to us one night in the pub. Pretty embarrassing all round to see some of the neighbours put on the poor mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

also, i would never spend another winter in a cold wet miserable country ever again, Caribbean for me from october-april

Hold off till December and you'll miss hurricane season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭893bet

I have a long commute to work and one of my favourite games used to to dividing out a big win like that.

I would buy tonnes of watches. A few nice cars. A few nice houses.

And smell the roses.

I would never load a washing machine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

It would not all go to one charity but would be split amoung a number of charties and groups.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

milehip wrote: »
    Hold off till December and you'll miss hurricane season.

i will get a private jet down to Costa Rice if there are hurricanes incoming

Advertisement