Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Euromillions €210 million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

murpho999 wrote: »
    You really think you're going to win €210m and your kids won't notice all the extra things?

Unless you plan not to spend money then what's the point in doing it. Never get that.

You won't win anyway so nothing to worry about.

So your saying there is a chance ..

10 million is enough for anyone let alone give then 200 million more.

Pure madness when you consider 5 numbers and 1 lucky star may only get you 200k!

I disagree with your first line - let the winner have the full amount. No harm in it.

The second line is dead right though. It seems all the other prizes, all nearly impossible to win, too, are a pittance compared to the main prize. Was there not a thing they did before where when the main prize went over X amount, if it wasn't won, the following week whatever should have been added to it got spread out amongst the other prizes instead? something along those lines? (think its a Lottery procedure rather than a Euromillions one, though?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

It's a dangerous situations tbh - if the news leaks, you could be in for pain for bother, money usually attracts the wrong kind of people.

My dream would be to set up a trust to support the education for all own kids and all kids / young people in the family and their kids etc for generations to come. There will be rules. They will have to work hard to withdraw from this trust fund, prove that they deserve it - but they will never be denied an opportunity to move ahead in life because they couldn't afford it.

They will also have to become part of the board, perhaps contribute into and carry the mission forward for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Drugs, women and gambling

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Enjoy life instead of suffering through it.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would "Get a job abroad, as a personal assistant to a very wealthy businessman". Ain't nobody needs to know my financials.

I'm not close to family, so **** them. Friends on the other hand would probably be employed by this very wealthy businessman abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would disappear for a year to somewhere calm and peaceful and think about what I was going to do with it. There would be no rush to give a penny of it away straight away.

I certainly wouldn't give my family so much of it they could retire or anything like that. That would be a hefty amount anyway as I have a lot of siblings. I could see myself telling them many months after the win I was in Australia and that my solicitor would be in touch to get their bank details. Maybe 1 Mil each, something like that. A somewhat derisory sum in comparison to the jackpot but significant for them all the same. And they can't say I didn't give them anything.

My friends live where I once used to live abroad, I could rejoin them, let them know of my luck, and my local community here would be none the wiser. So I wouldn't have to keep it a secret entirely. Oh I have friends here to but they are more like good acquaintance. It could be months before they'd notice I'd disappeared and thoughts of who the mystery winner is would be long gone.

Now I really enjoyed that little fantasy, I must go and pay for it now by doing the lottery. €2.50 should do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

i always wondered if you won 200m or something, how to you go about buying expensive things? for example a 100k watch, or a 1m supercar, you hardly enter your bank card and enter a pin number?

also, how much money would you be allowed to have sitting in a current account? i mean i doubt if you withdrew 100 and got a balance slip it would say 199,999,900 on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I would give 10 million each to direct relatives because I like them all a lot. Between children, siblings, parent, parents in law and siblings in law that would take care of 150 million.

It would have to be anonymous somehow. They would probably lose half to tax but the 5 million left each should give them a nice time.

Then I would buy a lovely little secluded farmhouse on Gozo and live there, running an investment charity which would give anonymous start up, no strings attached grants to as many as possible family and sole trader businesses in very remote places. I would take a few trips around the place every year looking for good opportunities to give out the investments. Not on the spot - not a lady bountiful type trip, but anonymously later on. It would be great if subsistence villages could afford to have all the children who wanted go to school and not keep them home for the labour. Especially girls. If you gave out 1 million a year that way you would have years of occupation. You could give 1000 start ups 1000 quid to get going every year. It would be big money in many areas.
    I think I could manage all that, keep cool, and not lose the head. There is not much I want right now in terms of stuff - I don't really do ''stuff''. It mostly takes up space and gets annoying and has to be dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd quietly slip away to some place remote.

Will come back after a few years to do an AMA thread, then fcuk off again. For that reason I'd say a lot of people would be delighted if I won it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

startrek56 wrote: »
    i always wondered if you won 200m or something, how to you go about buying expensive things? for example a 100k watch, or a 1m supercar, you hardly enter your bank card and enter a pin number?

also, how much money would you be allowed to have sitting in a current account? i mean i doubt if you withdrew 100 and got a balance slip it would say 199,999,900 on it

Simple. You have a man on horseback ride up to deliver the gold.

What I wonder is after my winnings are transferred into my credit union account will there be a big gap in the street and smouldering crater where the credit union used to be

Playstation 5 and two decent graphics cards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The expensive diesel and the top of the range car wash

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd buy 220 worth of bitcoin .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,479 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I disagree with your first line - let the winner have the full amount. No harm in it.

The second line is dead right though. It seems all the other prizes, all nearly impossible to win, too, are a pittance compared to the main prize. Was there not a thing they did before where when the main prize went over X amount, if it wasn't won, the following week whatever should have been added to it got spread out amongst the other prizes instead? something along those lines? (think its a Lottery procedure rather than a Euromillions one, though?).

Look at the Euromillions results for Tuesday 08 December 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd give ye all a grand each.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd give ye all a grand each.

Sterling or yoyos? Maybe a McGonigles diesel card for the amount would suit me better.

Good man yer da.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,802 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

positron wrote: »
    It's a dangerous situations tbh - if the news leaks, you could be in for pain for bother, money usually attracts the wrong kind of people.

My dream would be to set up a trust to support the education for all own kids and all kids / young people in the family and their kids etc for generations to come. There will be rules. They will have to work hard to withdraw from this trust fund, prove that they deserve it - but they will never be denied an opportunity to move ahead in life because they couldn't afford it.

They will also have to become part of the board, perhaps contribute into and carry the mission forward for future generations.

Yeah, you’d need to be prudent...

I’d be on the level with family..and BEST friends... although I wouldn’t be admitting the actual amount outside my parents and other half ... get asked......“ hey, I did ok, I’m comfortable now... “

Anybody else... new house... “just fancied a move”... new Ferrari, Mercedes AMG ? “Ok, just had an investment pay off and treated myself, no point in looking at the cash just sitting in an account”... not a lie, you invested in a euromillions ticket...

I’ve an aunt who is an employee of a very worthwhile charity who do brilliant work with the homeless in Dublin....I’d have no issues writing a BIG one off cheque for them...but knowing her as I do... it would be 200,000 say then a year later “ ohhh they are getting the offices done up, then the following year... ohh they need a fleet of new delivery vehicles... ohhh erm...can you help... she is a seriously benevolent individual but is sometimes of the view that everyone should follow suit... I’d want to be enjoying life, it would become a drag if your email and phone was going off from friends, family, and indeed strangers every couple of days, “ would you mind checking your email and seeing if.., “ be a melt, you gotta enjoy life..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

I've often fastasised about winning it, but I think it'd almost be just as much a curse as it is a blessing. I'm in my late 20's and unmarried, how would I ever be able to get into a relationship with anyone without worrying about their true intentions? I reckon it'd make a lot of people a paranoid wreck. Having said that, I'll still probably buy a ticket for tomorrow's draw and be instantly disappointed when I don't win :pac:

Feck off to LA and hook up with some rich young one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Book out a pub for a wkend and invite a very select small circle of friends and family - free bar all wkend

Organise with the pub to have a full Irish buffet every morning up til about 2 pm then later on baskets of sausages and chips and sandwiches for every one, free of charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Resign by text message and straight into early retirement.

I wouldn't resign. I'd just never turn up for work again and ignore all correspondence from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Drugs, women and gambling

And then squander the rest?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamie78 wrote: »
    and the other half on black
    There is now triple zero roulette in Vegas

So one in thirteen chance of losing everything. Because pure and simple greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I'd employ someone on a full-time basis to keep the town clean and tidy, buy the community council a small sit on road sweeping truck, buy a 20acre site and put in a state of the art sports centre, on the condition that all organisations are equal and build an 18 hole golf corse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Nobody would find out to be honest. I'd disappear, I've done it before.
    Tell my Mam and Dad I won a bit.

I'd rent a modest house somewhere nice in Ireland to start with, set up some shell companies, and offshore accounts, all on the level, with a very shrewd tax avoidant lawyer. Then buy a home.

I'd gift my mam some, my dad too, but BIK kind of ways. Pay off their mortgage. Sort out anything my Mam wants. Buy my dad a place where he's always wanted to live. Maintaining ownership of same, but letting him take it on as a time share kind of arrangement.

I'd buy land in Ireland, and lots of it. Get a herd number.
    Start a few companies. Donate to causes I genuinely think would make a difference.

Be an anonymous angel investor.

Live the high life - growing veg and flowers, learning languages, raising animals, enjoying nature.
    Upgrade my vehicular transportation, a 4x4 for the mountains and inclement weather, a comfortable cruiser for long distance trips in Ireland, some retro beauties, just because. Possibly some helicopter trips and such (my eyesight prevents me ever being a pilot).

A place somewhere 420 friendly, leaning towards somewhere modest in Colorado or Oregon. Netherlands, Portugal also in the running.

Every bit of sound technology I could muster. Rooms of full and accurate hi-fidelity sounds.

No neighbours to annoy (hence the land grabbing). I'd live in bliss and nature and music.

I'd angel invest in companies on the up, the CBD and hemp/cannabis industries mainly, and rest on my lazy laurels till my money made bank, interest wise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KaneToad wrote: »
    I wouldn't resign. I'd just never turn up for work again and ignore all correspondence from them.
    Or get a doctors cert for anal glaucoma.

Or as one engineer did when they expected him to work out his notice,
    show up, shoes off, feet on desk, start reading newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

I always said I'd jump on the poshest cruise ship and disappear for a year, see the world then return when the dust has settled. Round the world, 5 star jobby where theres already millions on board so no questions to be answered. Needless to say that's all gone to the wall in the current climate.

The thoughts of my nearest and dearest paying millions to the Irish government to squander sickens me to the core so I'd have to look at that one closely by paying off mortgages, clearing debts, buying them cars, holidays with expense accounts ect and that way anything they earn themselves is their own.

Animal welfare and charities would be a big one for me.

It's a difficult one to imagine, I would say you would be constantly looking over your shoulder and hoors you havn't heard from in ages would be swinging out of yeh. You would need to keep it quiet but that in today's day and age is impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Imagine if you'd won this a year ago then! You'd have hit the high seas at just the wrong moment.

Timing is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’d buy a pair of yeezys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Imagine if you'd won this a year ago then! You'd have hit the high seas at just the wrong moment.

Timing is everything.

Oh hey, you are dead right on the timing, I'd back to where I'd started. Imagine being in lockdown with 200million in the bank, doing nothing except pissing off the Amazon delivery driver!
    Couldn't even build the house of your dreams at the minute.

You would have to jump on a private jet and lock yourself away somewhere and that is not a life.

Advertisement