Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Players Championship, Feb 22-28

Comments

Did Selby pot 3 balls? That has to be a record low for a best of 11 match?

Good spot that. Confirmed by Jill in the studio..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It was 7 points. I diddled mark out of a point earlier! Confirmed lowest ever points total in a televised bo11 match. A total beatdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭robinwing

weemcd wrote: »
    That's the biggest hiding I've ever seen in snooker.

He didnt just whitewash him , he brownwashed him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

They mentioned it as the biggest total point difference in televised snooker history as well. 543-7 in the end I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What are the odds on a Hawkins V Wilson final, I wonder.

• Advertisement

Barry simply had to take that frame anyway. Was almost certain he'd missed the yellow for a second.

Noticeable ronnie not dropped his chalk once the past 3 frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Frame 10, getting edgy, lots of mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

Ronnie doing his best to throw this away.

O’Sullivan misses the red twice, gets warned about the third miss and then plays the same shot again anyway. Risky, I like it.

6-4.

• Advertisement

Hawkins will be kicking himself after that. He had Ronnie under a lot of pressure, his last shot was very poor. At 5-5 Hawkins would have had a great chance.

Interesting hendry asking ronnie about the lack of crowds. I dont think anyones really loving milton keynes, but i'm inclined to think ronnies thriving under the conditions more than most. Lack of crowds, lack of media, lack of fuss suits him. In and out. Think it definitely helped him win the worlds and its the reason he had a change of heart about playing the masters. I had all but written him off to get the 6th world title, now i believe he has a very serious chance of landing the very significant 7th.

Interesting hendry asking ronnie about the lack of crowds. I dont think anyones really loving milton keynes, but i'm inclined to think ronnies thriving under the conditions more than most. Lack of crowds, lack of media, lack of fuss suits him. In and out. Think it definitely helped him win the worlds and its the reason he had a change of heart about playing the masters. I had all but written him off to get the 6th world title, now i believe he has a very serious chance of landing the very significant 7th.

Not sure about that since he hasn't won anything since the WC.

Hendry has fairly piled on the pounds, he's not running ten miles everyday anyway.

Rothko wrote: »
    Not sure about that since he hasn't won anything since the WC.

How much difference it might make at end of day is hard to say i guess, i just suspect it suits ronnie and more so at crucible than any place else given how tight and claustrophobic that can be. He's not winning tournaments but looks to me to be as enthused and energised about the game than he has been for years. Even practising hard with Martin Gould these past couple of months. And i dont remember he won much last season apart from the worlds so he's doing ok this season, just finds judd difficult to beat these days and that one subpar performance in wales last week.

How much difference it might make at end of day is hard to say i guess, i just suspect it suits ronnie and more so at crucible than any place else given how tight and claustrophobic that can be. He's not winning tournaments but looks to me to be as enthused and energised about the game than he has been for years. Even practising hard with Martin Gould these past couple of months. And i dont remember he won much last season apart from the worlds so he's doing ok this season, just finds judd difficult to beat these days and that one subpar performance in wales last week.

He hasn't had a bad record so far this season at all. After all, he did get to the final of the Scottish and Welsh Open. However, he hasn't won either of them.

Personally, (like most fans) I'm hoping for a Ronnie V Higgins final. I don't have a clue who I think would win between them. John and Ronnie both seem to be in fantastic form and I couldn't split them at all.

Rothko wrote: »
    He hasn't had a bad record so far this season at all. After all, he did get to the final of the Scottish and Welsh Open. However, he hasn't won either of them.

Personally, (like most fans) I'm hoping for a Ronnie V Higgins final. I don't have a clue who I think would win between them. John and Ronnie both seem to be in fantastic form and I couldn't split them at all.

Point really wasnt that he was winning anything, he wasnt playing all that well pre xmas anyway, but that he's looking happier and more motivated than for a while at the moment. Thats all, and i think it augurs fairly well for another tilt at the worlds this year. It was the only title he won last season too, the one that really matters at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭robinwing

tanko wrote: »
    Hendry has fairly piled on the pounds, he's not running ten miles everyday anyway.

He'll sweat off a few pounds when he has to play Selt next week.

I think anyone that’s made 4 ranking finals in one season has to be a contender for the WC.

Scottish granite :pac: - From 4 frames Wilson only accrues 7 points.. History in the making here... Yates is in awe :P No one has EVER (outside of the shootout) reached a ranking final without dropping a frame before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yates is in a perpetual state of awe.

But Higgins is certainly on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Great to see Higgins playing well.

I wonder how much this longevity thing catches. A few years ago I thought Higgins was on the way out, and I wonder if seeing Ronnie play as good as ever spurs him on. And with Williams making a return to the top as well in recent years.

I never understood how top players once over 40 went downhill in snooker anyway. I mean it's not an athletic sport. If anything you'd expect them to be better.

Eyesight as much as anything, easily fixed now.

Not that difficult to understand really... It's a sport that requires a lot of concentration... Very tough mentally.... Same reason I guess accountants and chess players lose it a bit/go downhill in their thirties... Those activities would take similar concentration levels I'd imagine..... Lawyers; on the other hand :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

What a steal

Can anyone take a frame off this man?!?

Not that difficult to understand really... It's a sport that requires a lot of concentration... Very tough mentally.... Same reason I guess accountants and chess players lose it a bit/go downhill in their thirties... Those activities would take similar concentration levels I'd imagine..... Lawyers; on the other hand :P

Personally I don't agree with that. I think it's more to do with a general societal attitudes to age. A bad attitude. I.e. one is over the hill by 45.

edit: Hendry just said of Higgins "I've never seen such concentration".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

AllForIt wrote: »
    Personally I don't agree with that. I think it's more to do with a general societal attitudes to age. A bad attitude. I.e. one is over the hill by 45...

You must be young...

I'd love to see a long drawn out comeback here as I'm bored and I've run out of series to watch on netflix.

• Advertisement

Accountants only start making a few pound in their thirties.

When they go out on their own and hire a few young grads to do what they did for the last 10 years for 25-30k a year :pac:

And the cycle continues

Advertisement