Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Players Championship, Feb 22-28

Comments

^^

Well it, helped - Higgins wasn't easy on blue :p

Misses the pink :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Always a risk that brown might under perform but that frame was a horror show. Just not with it at all, higgins could have saved this A+ performance for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

JB with the lilac waistcoat, he’s a superstar now, might aswell look the part.

That miss on the pink.

That was some red from MJW.. Looking like 4-3 to the Welshman now.

Ha, selby pots red off williams break!

• Advertisement

And wins frame off it. Maybe back to the drawing board MJ!?

He had a good run off it though... Must be the first frame in the several weeks he's been at it that an opponent potted a red from his new break off shot.. He'll still persevere.. I can see him doing it, with maybe even a smile on his face in #10 mins or so.

#Ya never know when Selby's playing... This frame could go another 40 minutes yet :pac:

Ah yeah he'll keep it going for sure, just happy to see an opponent doing that because i really just dislike that shot.

Robbo be relieved to get that frame on the board. Kyren has missed a couple of big key shots but still leads 3-1.

Was hoping jack would stand up and give ronnie something to think about tonight. Feels a bit like man against boy so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Was hoping jack would stand up and give ronnie something to think about tonight. Feels a bit like man against boy so far.

He threw away that second frame. He didnt punish Ronnies miss to the middle left pocket . Its not looking good for him now. If he goes 3 -0 down he could be out the back door very fast

At least done by a sublime break there. Just the ease with which ronnie compiled that, an artist at work.

Wonder when was the last time O’Sullivan took 2 minutes over a shot.

Feel a bit sorry for jack here, this is just relentless and ruthless. The focus from ronnie is almost scary, you'd wonder if jack didnt offend him in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jack L being given a right lesson. Had his chances and has not taken them. Ronnie doing a John Higgins on him. Just matchplaying him waiting for him to make the mistakes.

I am not sure Jack will ever move on to the 'next level' that the commentators are on about. They seem to be saying that for years at this stage.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jack L being given a right lesson. Had his chances and has not taken them. Ronnie doing a John Higgins on him. Just matchplaying him waiting for him to make the mistakes.

I am not sure Jack will ever move on to the 'next level' that the commentators are on about. They seem to be saying that for years at this stage.

Yeah, potting ability not enough on its own. That first frame he was trading good safety until he ran out of patience and took on an over ambitious long one, frame over. So it is with him. The fact he's never won a tournament, not even a minor one, is instructive i think and as things stand, he's struggling a bit for his world champs top 16 seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah, potting ability not enough on its own. That first frame he was trading good safety until he ran out of patience and took on an over ambitious long one, frame over. So it is with him. The fact he's never won a tournament, not even a minor one, is instructive i think and as things stand, he's struggling a bit for his world champs top 16 seeding.

Jack reminds me a bit of a Ronnie where he used to just lose the head, get annoyed and give up. I would hate being one of his supporters really annoying to watch. Obviously loads of natural talent. Flashy stuff easy for him. Matchplay and tactical stuff aren't there at all.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jack reminds me a bit of a Ronnie where he used to just lose the head, get annoyed and give up. I would hate being one of his supporters really annoying to watch. Obviously loads of natural talent. Flashy stuff easy for him. Matchplay and tactical stuff aren't there at all.

Type of player who really needed a good coach and extended lessons in how to develop patience and a mentality for the big days. I never thought having judd as main practice partner as he did for years was very good for him. Somehow judd learned that developing his game was critical for the future but jack didnt.

Looking forward to post match interview to see how ronnie manages to find fault with his game.

Just tuned into this, and can't say it's much of a surprise that Higgins is 3-0 up, and on 'the cusp' of getting this next one against The Jester. The way he took JB apart with consummate ease in the last 16/1st round means him and Ron are definitely the guys to beat this week. Yeah, it's 4-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Looks like it's gonna be four very one sided quarter-finals unless Selby can do a Selby.

Yeah, way they're playing you'd have to fancy a higgins-ron final which would be a nice set up after the recent demolition job by higgins at the masters. Cant see selby coming back- famous last words notwithstanding - or hawkins standing in the way of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭weemcd

Selby won't make it easy for Higgins (or easy to watch) but the way Higgins is playing now I can't see anything other than a win. Looking forward to tonight.

Higgins near 90% long pot success, 9 from 11. Doesnt get much better than that. That's the key these days, the confidence you get when those shots are going in. Same with ronnie to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Jaysus, looking like 5-0 now. John hasn't lost a frame in the tournament yet...

Yep, John Higgins is having one of them 'On his Day' type performances... Unless they're playing each other, there's only going to be one winner if John, Ronnie, or Judd are bringing their A game. Surprising though that Higgins still can do it, given the fact that he is neither young, or one of the more fitter players in the mid 30s+ category... That new ferrule, as it's called, and the way he addresses the cueball (he was saying he was listening to Ronnie and Stephen on commentary once, and it made him keep the tip closer to the white as he was doing his 'feathers' - gives him more power I think he said; without having to hit it any harder).

Did Selby pot 3 balls? That has to be a record low for a best of 11 match?

6 points in a bo11. Have to check but definitely close to record territory for sure. Remember ronnie dismantling marco fu a few years back but dont think it was bad as that.

And dave hendon stat about ronnie and higgins last ranking final being as far back as 2005 quite surprising too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭weemcd

That's the biggest hiding I've ever seen in snooker.

Advertisement