Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst takeaway meal you've ever eaten?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Chicken Hut is absolutely manky. Had it once from clanbrassil Street. They have a few branches around the country and by all accounts their shop in Mullingar is notoriously bad.

Their chips were always bad, but the fish and the chicken were decent at the beginning of last year. It has been deteriorating over time, so I don't order from them anymore. It's a pity, they were one of the only places with free delivery and the prices were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mad Egg near the opposite the Bleeding Horse on Camden St do great fried chicken but theyve only the one location in Dublin.

Mad Egg opened up in the Italian Quarter where Pitt Bros used to be. Just hope it opens again after the lockdown. The sandwiches are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The green kitchen Walkinstown last Friday got a steak sandwich i was not a well man after it Friday night Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Pizza Hut. There was one in a shopping center near me but its long gone now because the food was so poor. I got a small pizza from them one day and it was like eating a cheap supermarket mini pizza that had been microwaved for 20 minutes. Never went back again.

Also I was in Australia many years ago and it was considered the slop of choice for the homeless because they had the all you can eat troughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Absolute fact. It's the cheapest of the cheap here in New Zealand, the Kiwis won't even look at it for the most part, it's the pizza of the budget conscious here. Pizza from the 'value range' is $5 (€3).

I did a year in Australia about a decade back and it was the same there, I have a vague memory of $4 on Tuesdays and Thursdays for a 12 inch one. Which is grand for when you're tight for cash and not bothered cooking, fills a nice gap in the market.

But in Ireland it's a joke, kind of like seeing a big Mac (just the burger, not the meal) being sold for €25 and going out the door by the bucket load as some kind of premium product.

---

Worst takeaway ever got was a place in Canada. Order was all wrong and half missing, pizza looked like someone had vomited on it and literally had no sauce, chips were uncooked, onion rings had uncooked batter on them and the chicken wings had... 2 wings. Each of which were like rubber. Delivery from 2km up the road took 2hrs and the place refused to do anything about it. My room mate at the time and I decided to do it for them - took all the food, carried it over to the place, and threw it on their floor face down before walking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I did a year in Australia about a decade back and it was the same there.

well then you must have experienced the culinary delights of....

Chicken Treat and Red Rooster and Hungry Jacks :)

they sure do love there fast food down under

Probably showing my age a bit here but there was a "chain" of three take aways in Dublin some time ago. Dundrum Drumcondra and Raheny if my memory is working. Called "Some Like it Hot".

They could consistently produce some of the worst approximations of food I have ever had in my life. While Abrakebabra can produce some awful things - and that "Eddies" thing that is not really Eddie rockets but produces half the portion sized for three times the price is truely the most current awful thing I know of - none will ever reach the horror of "Some like it hot" for me.

I used go to the one in Dundrum after Happy Hour in the Zoo Bar in town and get one of the kebabs they had every other weekend. I remember liking it though for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

About 15 years ago there was a burger van outside coppers, after a night out and a feed of drink I grabbed a burger from here. He handed it over without one of those "burger bags". I asked him for a bag, he handed me a Tesco bag. I ate half of it, brought the other half back to the hotel to eat when I got back and fell asleep. Woke up 6 hours later and the burger on my pillow and it was horrendous. God knows what I caught from that burger that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Deep Fried Curly Wurly in Edinbugh - in garlic and beer batter for added unpleasantness.

Kind of similar: deep fried Mars bar in Edinburgh, £5, tiny, and batter/oil tasted of fish. Weirdly nice and not nice at the same time. Total tourist rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

I don't know if it's still there but in the early noughties there was a place next to the savoy cinema
    It was vulgar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

jay0109 wrote: »
    Chef Red Sauce only

This is the stuff, barely meets any qualifying descriptions to be called "food" but does the trick out of a chipper. It's about 86% vinegar, 13% sugar, 1% tomato

5011042008195_3.JPG

Aaron's in kilsheelan is disgusting but everyone raves about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That Indian in Smithfield was shut down for a couple of days by the FSAI a few years back. Not sure if it is still there but at the time everyone was shocked as it put out some great food.

Namaste- it's probably the nicest Indian I've ever had. Defo looks dodgy from the outside, but the grub is immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What wouldn't you have mushroom on a burger?

BKs Mushroom Double-Swiss is one of the nicest fast food burgers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mad Egg opened up in the Italian Quarter where Pitt Bros used to be. Just hope it opens again after the lockdown. The sandwiches are quite good.

Thats good to hear Mad Egg opened up there, I didnt even know Pitt Bros had shut down. Mad Eggs chicken burgers are excellent. Even better again is Chimac on Aungier Street, they do South Korean fried chicken burgers which are divine.
    Namaste- it's probably the nicest Indian I've ever had. Defo looks dodgy from the outside, but the grub is immense.

yeah thats the one, loads of people rave on about how good it is but Ive never tried it myself.

Not a takeaway but the Indian food in Pickle on Camden St is top drawer, man I miss eating out in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

When I lived in Dublin years ago I used to regularly get take aways from Namaste in Smithfield. Immense grub indeed but the place inside and outside was a kip!

i'm just wondering....are some of the posts libelous?

I doubt it they are opinions
    No different than saying I like red

ya but if you publicly say i got food poisoning from such & such a place...is that not slander?

certainly won't help business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

A U2 concert in 85 I think, way up high in the stands. Burger bar at the hill 16 end of the pitch, took me 30 min to get through the crowds and top of the Q, made my way back with 2 juicy 1/4 pounders, girlfriend thought I was a hero...

Opened them up and nothing but empty buns in the box, no sauce, no onions, nothing, still wake up in a sweat to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

This is the stuff, barely meets any qualifying descriptions to be called "food" but does the trick out of a chipper. It's about 86% vinegar, 13% sugar, 1% tomato

5011042008195_3.JPG

Used to be packed in Ballybofey, Donegal, m I x depended on who was mixing it

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

not yet wrote: »
    A U2 concert in 85 I think, way up high in the stands. Burger bar at the hill 16 end of the pitch, took me 30 min to get through the crowds and top of the Q, made my way back with 2 juicy 1/4 pounders, girlfriend thought I was a hero...

Opened them up and nothing but empty buns in the box, no sauce, no onions, nothing, still wake up in a sweat to this day.

Vegetarian burger? Did the server offer you a burger With or Without Ewe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skodafan

Had subway while in Algeria before and it was horrific, I was starving and was very hungry. It looked the same as home but by jolly it didn't taste the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FarCanal

I give you Blue Thunder in Mayo.

Ah now, cant agree with that. The place in Castlebar is decent.
    The one in Westport aint bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

FarCanal wrote: »

They are both god damn awful. Easily some of the worst fast food food I have had. Chips are basically inedible.

Claremorris branch is half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭kegg

They are both god damn awful. Easily some of the worst fast food food I have had. Chips are basically inedible.

Claremorris branch is half decent.

If you got food in one and found it awful,
    why did you bother going to the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Had some bad one off experiences in plenty of places around the country.

But the worst has to a street food vendor that served chicken noodles. I was served an actual fried chicken heart. I could see the aortas and all. Put me right off eating any more of the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

FarCanal wrote: »

How about swinford one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

Got fish and chips in Duncannon about 10 years ago and binned most of it. I think its biggest problem was that they'd been cooked in oil that wasn't hot enough and it was just a soggy, inedible mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fitz* wrote:
    But the worst has to a street food vendor that served chicken noodles. I was served an actual fried chicken heart. I could see the aortas and all. Put me right off eating any more of the dish.

Had a chap offer me fried locusts in loas, I declined, a person in our group was served a 'full chicken' in a local restaurant, feet, head, everything, was offered to try, but I happily declined, I didn't ask what my dish was, I just eat it, as I was starving

Advertisement