Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Algebra again

• 15-02-2021 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So still at it. I am getting confused with algebra and lots of terms. This is a practice test, I am not looking for answers, I am looking for explanations if possible, but fear this will be very complicated.

See Below. Thanks ( and please go easy on me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Just start by whittling down what's common. All you are trying to do is to see if they can be written equivalently.

, eg denominator of first fraction
    -18x^13y^4 - 18x^4y^7

1. Take out the common x^4 (think it's called factorising)
    (x^4)(-18x^9y^4 - 18y^7)

2. Take out common y^4
    (x^4)(y^4)(-18x^9 - 18y^3)

3. Take out common -6 ( to leave +3 for answer)
    (-6).(x^4)(y^4)(3x^9 + 3y^3)

Now what's in last brackets above looks suspiciously like the denominator in answer....do similar process with numerator and look for cancellation of terms...

That should get you started....

Advertisement