Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it ok to run with a dog?

• 15-02-2021 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭

I've a young Jack russell/spaniel X cross and since start of lockdown last year we've been going for regular runs together. She really enjoys it, as do I, its usually 5k, 3-4 times a week. She's a small but very energetic and strong dog. I'm just wondering is all this running bad for the dog in the long term?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I think it depends on how serious about it you are and how consistently you plan on running. How old is she? I think when you run with a dog you need to take care of them the same way you would take care of yourself, gentle warmups, be aware of the condition of your dogs nails (you want to make sure they're not too long), joint supplements like YuMove are worthwhile too. Also be aware that these exercises can increase the stamina of your dog, in turn causing them to have higher exercise demands in the future.

I'm a bit rusty on the ins and out's of it, but if Muddypaws is about, they'll probably give you the best advice on running with your dog. :)

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah, once they are old enough , over exercising puppies is bad for them.

I used to run with my Collie , up till she was about 9 years old. Its only the hot weather would slow her down.

They are quick to pull up or slow down if there is an issue , just dont be forcing them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thanks,

Ya we'd walk for a bit, then gradually increase the pace. Its not 5k of sprinting like! I'm just worried will hard running cause her joint issues down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

rob316 wrote: »
    Thanks,

Ya we'd walk for a bit, then gradually increase the pace. Its not 5k of sprinting like! I'm just worried will hard running cause her joint issues down the line.

Our Collie got to 11.5 before showing any joint issues. But thats a decent age for a collie anyway and she had some other old age related health issues crop up at the same time.

There are good joint supplements out there i would use them , and try to give them oily type fish high in the omegas regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

There's a whole sport based on it - look up Canicross Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'd be wary of the surface that you are running on though. If you're running on concrete it's unforgiving on joints and even paw pads and nails. Running on grass/cross country footpath wouldn't be as stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ianm1990

I run with my German shepherd most days and he's nearly 6 years old.

Could be anything up to 10k with a mixture of grass and concrete. Git his hips etc checked a few months ago and no sign of any wear and tear .

I do keep him leaner to help his joints , give him oily fish etc , and also use a harness and bungee lead system.

He is as fit as a fiddle and simply going out for a walk does not cut it for him as his fitness level is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Yep a dog like that would be well able! Although worth reiterating the above post that if you do it, they will get used to it and will NEED the run. If you're into running, great bring the dog. If you want to tire an energetic dog, brain/scent work has worked wonders for my insane terrier.

If you're near the Phoenix Park, there is a canicross class with other dogs and its great fun. Not on due to current restrictions though. Trail Running is better for your legs and dogs legs than on concrete if possible.

Definitely recommend getting a bungee lead too so that there is a bit of give when changing directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭cullenswood

What brain/scent work do you do if you don't mind me asking.

I've been bringing my terrier cross for 8 to 10k runs for a bit, and he seems to enjoy it. Would still be on for a walk afterwards !

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

What brain/scent work do you do if you don't mind me asking.

I've been bringing my terrier cross for 8 to 10k runs for a bit, and he seems to enjoy it. Would still be on for a walk afterwards !

They would walk for miles!

I'm by no means an expert. My dog disgraced me in the park this morning so I don't feel qualified to give advice lol but here it goes.

I hide his food and he understands to "find". Start by throwing it in front of him and saying "find" then put some treats in another room and he will go sniff them out. You can then make it harder by putting the treats outside or in long grass where there are other scents. There is a great Facebook group called canine enrichment. You can use any cardboard that is going to be recycled such as egg cartons and empty toilet paper rolls to hide his food.. You can progress then to boxes within boxes. Kongs are great if you haven't heard of them. They are food dispensing toys and there are lots of differnt types.

The Dog Den is based in Sandyford and is putting up loads of useful training videos during lockdown.

There are endless amounts of videos on tricks on YouTube if thats something you want to do. Look in to lure, click and treat. Basically there are little plastic things that make a clicking noise. The dog associates the noise with a treat. When the dog does something you want eg sit beg give the paw, you click and give him a treat. You can also use a word if you don't want to bother with the clicker. After a few repitions, you can start putting a name to the trick. If you haven't done this before, you will be amazed by what they are capable of learning if you just spend 5 or 10 minutes each day at it.

Anied.ie is also a great website for ideas..

• Advertisement
Advertisement