Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bundled tank or not

• 03-02-2021 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭

The folks have to get a replacement oil tank, legally does it need to be bunded in this setting?
    They live in a city residential area, the old tank is about 1 meter from the rear of the house, there are drains related to downpipes close enough too.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Here is some info and places to find more.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks, also the new oil burner is situated outside, I’d say approximately 2m from the existing tank, from the info I’ve given do you think it should be bunded, at a guess I’d say yes?

The bund is to protect the environment from leakage contamination. It offers no real fire protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Wearb wrote: »
    The bund is to protect the environment from leakage contamination. It offers no real fire protection.

So what kind of tank would you buy if you were in their situation, single skin or bunded?
    Thanks

Nowadays I always recommend bunded in every instance.

At 2 metres, you might be far enough away from the boiler (flue). I don't have the most up-to-date regs to hand, but you should be able to find what you need on the oftech site or part J of building regs.

BTW Read what I sent regarding how close it can be to the house. The house wall AFAIK is considered fire rated if it doesn't have an opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/25ed9-technical-guidance-document-j-heat-producing-appliances/

pages 47 48 and 49 of above it part J of building regulations that apply to oil storage not part L

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nowadays, the only place you’d realistically get away with a single skin tank is in the middle of a large field, to comply with all clearances. Always fit a bunded tank. I’d always make note in the boiler passport too that a bunded tank should be fitted because almost no current single wall tank that’s fitted in Ireland is up to current standards

How much is a bunded 1000L tank ?
    I need a new one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Can you not build your own bund for the tank to sit in?
    A bund is just a secondary containment - doesn't have to be sealed on top as long as it stops oil from leaking to environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

stoneill wrote: »
    Can you not build your own bund for the tank to sit in?
    A bund is just a secondary containment - doesn't have to be sealed on top as long as it stops oil from leaking to environment.

The expense of that would be outweigh the cost of the tank.
    A 1,000 l tank is around 800-900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

BUNDED every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i just bought a bunded tank after the old one started to crack on top
    have a water well so taking no risks with oil
    installing next week

BUT

it has a 4 inch cap opening and a second metal spout opening 2 inch with a cap on top and a stop float inside - which one do they use to fill the tank
    as im baffled ?

i just bought a bunded tank after the old one started to crack on top
    have a water well so taking no risks with oil
    installing next week

BUT

it has a 4 inch cap opening and a second metal spout opening 2 inch with a cap on top and a stop float inside - which one do they use to fill the tank
    as im baffled ?
    The 4". The other one is usually used for remote filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i put in the 650 litre bunded tank myself , took me 5 hours including pumping 250 litres from old to new with a tiny drill powered pump
    i also strapped the tank down as it gets very windy here if the tank was low it may move .

great peace of mind now its in ,and i can start ordering larger and cheaper deliverys .

Advertisement