Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Did my degree in software development but still no luck in jobs

Options
  • 02-01-2021 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Everyone,

This is the first time I am putting up a post as I could really do with an advise. I completed my Software Development Degree (Level 8) in 2019 but I didn't start looking for jobs until late 2019 and I have been very unlucky in securing a job ever since. I had two interviews but wasn't successful. Then COVID started and everything just halted. Now companies are hiring again but they have no interest in the graduates from 2019. I became very desperate and start applying for all sort of jobs like Software Support, Technical Support but everyone is looking for at least a year or two year experience. So I decided to do a Springboard Higher Dip(Level -8) in Software Development from GMIT which offers a 3 months work placement in the end as this is the only way i can see myself securing a job. The reason going for Level 8 again is because I want to better my self in Programming as I wasn't very good in it when i was doing my degree in software development.
    I got the place in GMIT but a friend told me that the colleges actually don't take interest in getting a work placements for springboard candidates. I am not sure how true that is. Just two weeks ago I got offered a job of Technical Support and the role is working from home. I am thinking to take it and do it for a year to cover up the gap in my degree and then go for the Level 9 next year in software development. But then i think why I spent 4 years in doing a degree in SD and working as a tech support. Thanks

Advertisement