Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I was only saying to a neighbour yesterday I remember smoking in the hospital when I had a broken leg. Mad stuff. Thank God I gave them up years ago.

It's only about 20 years ago that you could smoke in the hospital ward.
    Spent 4 days in Navan getting pin in a bone I broke, and the lads in our little ward smoked.
    The Matron/Nurse in charge was from a Religeous Order, and must have had polio, as she had a caliper on one leg.
    She also hated smoking with a vengeance.
    When we heard her coming tap, tapping down the corridor, three lads would fly to the window and throw their half smoked fags out the window.....
    Be back in the chair or bed by the time she got to the door, and a cloud of Carrolls or Rothmans up at the ceiling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Spent 4 days in Navan getting pin in a bone I broke, and the lads in our little ward smoked.
    The Matron/Nurse in charge was from a Religeous Order, and must have had polio, as she had a caliper on one leg.
    When we heard her coming tap, tapping down the corridor, three lads would fly to the window and throw their half smoked fags out the window.....
    Be back in the chair or bed by the time she got to the door, and a cloud of Carrolls or Rothmans up at the ceiling :D

I know a woman who was in hospital lately and lit up in bed. When the nurse came round and gave out she pretended she thought she was at home and got all flustered as though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

kerryjack wrote: »
    My ould lad was well know for being an early riser but it was the fags, he was a 80 or 100 goldflake a day man and you would heir him in the morning around 6 coughing it was like trying to start an ould diesel engine. He would wake the whole house Tea and fags for breakfast like he won't buy a pack it was by the carton he used buy them. Looking back now I would say more cigurate ash went to the creamery than milk. Mad times looking back.

Neither of my parents smoked in my lifetime but I spent a lot of time with aunt's and uncles that did. There's a man locally and even as a child I remember noticing how much he smoked, it was literally one after another and he had no sooner stood on the last one before the packet was out again. I'd say the 100 wouldn't do him the day at one stage, funny enough he's well in his seventies now and still in the land of the living.

Another neighbor man wasn't far behind when it came to fags. He was nicknamed Dusty because the first thing he done after getting up from the table or out of the car was shake the astray worth of cigarette ash off his trousers. You'd hardly see him for a few moments with the resulting cloud of dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Same as that - spent some time in the Orthopaedic in Cork about 25 years ago...

Ward full of ould lads and nearly everyone smoked. At night, after lights out - you’d hear the popping of caps off beer bottles :)
    All the nurses were hard cases.... It was all small old buildings - I had to have an operation, so you went into a trolley kinda bed yoke - and they put a waterproof kinda tin foil blanket over you and you were wheeled out and down the road to the operating building :)
    It was a fcuking strange place too...

Lad across the way from me came off a motorbike and broke half the bones in his body, was in a coma for ages apparently... his face and head was still so swollen you had to roar at him as his ears were barely open to let any sound in... Not sure the broken bones were the worst of his injuries the poor hoore...

Lad next to me had lost his leg in the PTO, putting out slurry - he was old to me at the time, but looking back I’d say he couldn’t have been 30... poor lad, he had it very tough... big adjustment for anyone I imagine... Think he was from up Clare way...

Was a very strange place, glad I wasn’t there too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Base price wrote: »
    +1
    The youngest tractor on this farm is 1986. The lad with the auld tractors doesn't have to worry about meeting repayments and the dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree with electronic faults and they get the same job done.

Old kit is not a sign of rooting, quite the opposite in many cases. Nothing better than an old classic running like a clock.
    Broken up machinery on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Yea,and all the neighbors laughing at you sayin your backward as fucck, stuck in the dark ages!!
    I've never given a fiddlers feck about what anyone thinks of me :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

One word ,evenflow

K.G. wrote: »
    One word ,evenflow

Legend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

One word ,evenflow

Some boyo, you wouldn't think he owned a big house done to the absolute last with marble every where

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Some boyo, you wouldn't think he owned a big house done to the absolute last with marble every where

You would when ya see all the near priceless twincam bits used as props in his "cottage" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

One word ,evenflow

Did he get that name from his love of Pearl Jam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

Using bailing twine and pallets as a crush. Keeping no more than 7 cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Yea,and all the neighbors laughing at you sayin your backward as fucck, stuck in the dark ages!!

I'd say it's hilarious when the computer on the fancy tractor says no and all you have to get silage to cattle is a wheelbarrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Bale twine is a tell tale sign. It’s hard to be super organised and not be a rooter if you have other things on.

When someone from work or mates would text me asking what am I at I almost daily find myself replying ‘aw I’m rootin with a few cattle down here I shouldn’t be too awful long.’

My father often describes another farmer as ‘a great oul rooter’ and that’s serious admiration! Then again it’s all about tone, he as often talks about ‘some fool rootin about all day and gettin nothin done.’ Fine lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Jb1989

PopZiggy wrote: »

That's could be classed as a cute hoor tho, works the system instead of the system workin him.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I'd prefer to be tippin away with 7 than killing myself with 70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

7 or 70, get a proper crush :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

7 or 70, get a proper crush :)

Was putting in first cattle into shed last week and had the 4 old tractors attached to trailers/implements to funnel them from field to crush and then to shed:cool:
    Getting a bit old for all that : rooting is a young mans game!
    Hope nobody took offence to me calling vintage tractors " Yokes" earlier, meant in lighthearted way, mine haven't lights, windows, doors, brakes, tax nor insurance so applies to myself only ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Was putting in first cattle into shed last week and had the 4 old tractors attached to trailers/implements to funnel them from field to crush and then to shed: ;)

A roll of white tape and a few temporary stakes will do the job a lot easier and quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Dunedin wrote: »
    A roll of white tape and a few temporary stakes will do the job a lot easier and quicker.

Make sure to put the power to it
    The first time at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

If the cattle have never seen an electric fence before it won't.
    Real rooters don't have fancy Dan electric fences. Pallets and baler twine is just as effective:)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Do all the hard work here 7 to 1,very little done after dinner only fun stuff maybe the odd nap as well, up at 6 every morning including weekends head out for a few pints at 6 in evening friday and Saturday home at 9 bed by 10 when everyone else is going out, love early morning in summer great peace in place, non farming neighbour not 2 happy with me flat out in morning but sure what can you do.

I think your living the dream!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

The closer to the yard my cows get they puck someone elses calf through electric fence, calves had never been in shed before always need it well fortified as big open yard in front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

duffysfarm wrote: »
    I think your living the dream!!!
    I treat the body like I would any machine I have, no need to put up any unnecessary hours. People looking in might think I am a bit work shy but sure who cares.

I treat the body like I would any machine I have, no need to put up any unnecessary hours. People looking in might think I am a bit work shy but sure who cares.

I hate the term work shy. As though you owe it to the world to have bleeding hands at the end of a day. There’s more to life than slogging. Fair play to you for managing your time to enable your lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I hate the term work shy. As though you owe it to the world to have bleeding hands at the end of a day. There’s more to life than slogging. Fair play to you for managing your time to enable your lifestyle.

The heartbeat rule/theory..Is everybody gets the same amount of heartbeats in a lifetime.
    Some people go through theirs longer than others.

The heartbeat rule/theory..Is everybody gets the same amount of heartbeats in a lifetime.

Wow! That is a sobering thought!

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Wow! That is a sobering thought!

If you sleep your whole life you'll make 200..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I saw that theory discussed in relation to animals some time ago.
    Whales amd large mammals have slow heartbeat amd so live long periods where mice for example have rapid heartbeats amd live comparatively shorter lives.

Didn’t I see recently that a whale was found alive amd estimated to be about 450years old.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I saw that theory discussed in relation to animals some time ago.
    Whales amd large mammals have slow heartbeat amd so live long periods where mice for example have rapid heartbeats amd live comparatively shorter lives.

Didn’t I see recently that a whale was found alive amd estimated to be about 450years old.

There's a little truth to it.

Yep the slower heart beating creatures live longer.

Advertisement