Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020 :Round 17 Abu Dhabi

• 09-12-2020 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2020

End of the road
    Circuit Length :5.554km
    Number of Laps :55 laps

Still some driver line ups to be confirmed .

image.png

Abu Dhabi / Round 17
    SESSION YOUR TIME
    1st Free practice Fri 11 Dec 09:00 - 10:30
    2nd Free practice Fri 11 Dec 13:00 - 14:30
    3rd Free practice Sat 12 Dec 10:00 - 11:00
    1st Qualifying Sat 12 Dec 13:00 - 13:18
    2nd Qualifying Sat 12 Dec 13:25 - 13:40
    3rd Qualifying Sat 12 Dec 13:48 - 14:00
    Race Sun 13 Dec 13:10 - 15:10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just before lockdown I thought it would be a good idea to walk 4 laps of this track training for a ultra walk.

Turns out I had a broken bone in my foot that had been misdiagnosed and that's all I can remember of the track is how fooken painful it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Lewis will be given up until Saturday morning to test negative before Mercedes will be forced to make the call, according to the below.

His 10 day self-isolation period ends today.

Russell is listed for Mercedes media duties.

https://twitter.com/straits_times/status/1336761699668471809?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I hope russell gets the drive. Hamilton has already won the title and Mercedes have already won the constructors, so there's nothing to lose for them by keeping George.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

ELM327 wrote: »
    I hope russell gets the drive. Hamilton has already won the title and Mercedes have already won the constructors, so there's nothing to lose for them by keeping George.

They’d obviously never say it, but secretly I’d imagine Mercedes top brass are hoping it will be Russell and that he’ll put in another strong performance.

I agree with Brundle who feels the decision to give Russell the drive in the first place was purely tactical as a potential chip to use in Hamilton’s contract negotiations.

Another strong showing from Russell here will further weaken Lewis’ hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

What do Williams do so? Move forward with Aitken for the weekend and then on Sat does George just slot back in?

Since it's unlikely Russell will get the seat next season, he'll end up like a bloody martyr figure especially if Hamilton jumps in last minute this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

It's a bit of a joke to be honest. If he's not there tomorrow morning then that should be it. You can't have George doing the 3 practice sessions, setting up the car and then boot him for qualifying. Is he supposed to sit into a Williams after that which he had no time to set up and then qualify? It's dangerous if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think they would likely know by now who its going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think they would likely know by now who its going to be.

I mean at this stage you would have to fancy Russell will get he drive. Hamilton was positive just a few days ago, too great a risk for the team.

Really want to see Russell get another crack at it, couldn't believe what happened last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Mercedes are taking the piss with this , It impacts Russell & Jack Aitken, Williams a lot more that it does Mercedes .

I know its the last race of the season but there are still some Points up for grabs in the midfield and the lower end . Pretty sure Williams would like their best man chancing that with them and if Not be allowed to prepare fully with out swapping drivers again .

Last Race Head to head updates .
    Some Teams are pretty close between the drivers over the Race results.

Qualifying Head to Head
    Lewis Hamilton 11 MERCEDES 4 Valtteri Bottas
    Sebastian Vettel 4 FERRARI 12 Charles Leclerc
    Max Verstappen 16 RED BULL 0 Alex Albon
    Carlos Sainz 8 McLAREN 7 Lando Norris
    Daniel Ricciardo 15 RENAULT 1 Esteban Ocon
    Pierre Gasly 13 ALPHATAURI 3 Daniil Kvyat
    Sergio Perez 10 RACING POINT 3 Lance Stroll
    Kimi Raikkonen 8 ALFA ROMEO 8 Antonio Giovinazzi
    Romain Grosjean 7 HAAS 8 Kevin Magnussen
    George Russell 15 WILLIAMS 0 Nicholas Latifi
    Lance Stroll 1 RACING POINT 1 Nico Hulkenberg
    Sergio Perez 1 RACING POINT 0 Nico Hulkenberg
    Valtteri Bottas 1 MERCEDES 0 George Russell
    Kevin Magnussen 1 HAAS 0 Pietro Fittipaldi
    Nicholas Latifi 1 WILLIAMS 0 Jack Aitken

Race Head To head
    Lewis Hamilton 12 MERCEDES 3 Valtteri Bottas
    Sebastian Vettel 5 FERRARI 9 Charles Leclerc
    Max Verstappen 11 RED BULL 4 Alex Albon
    Carlos Sainz 8 McLAREN 8 Lando Norris
    Daniel Ricciardo 12 RENAULT 4 Esteban Ocon
    Pierre Gasly 8 ALPHATAURI 8 Daniil Kvyat
    Sergio Perez 8 RACING POINT 4 Lance Stroll
    Kimi Raikkonen 11 ALFA ROMEO 5 Antonio Giovinazzi
    Romain Grosjean 7 HAAS 6 Kevin Magnussen
    George Russell 9 WILLIAMS 6 Nicholas Latifi
    Lance Stroll 1 RACING POINT 0 Nico Hulkenberg
    Sergio Perez 1 RACING POINT 0 Nico Hulkenberg
    Valtteri Bottas 1 MERCEDES 0 George Russell
    Kevin Magnussen 0 HAAS 1 Pietro Fittipaldi
    Nicholas Latifi 0 WILLIAMS 1 Jack Aitken

from the site I got them from table includes only the races where the current driver pairings were at the same team. These battles are based on the final finishing places of the two drivers after any penalties were applied. Races where both drivers retired are not included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Not even depending on the testing, but so quickly after covid to be physically fit, doubt it makes sense.
    And if after Friday if it is decided to swap? Will they ice Russell away on a late call?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Russell just teasing us with the Merc top today. Don’t know if people follow him on Instagram but posted a photo of him walking the track in the Merc gear.

Caption was “Wasn’t too sure which top to put on so went with the last one I wore.”

Would love to see him given a second chance at it.

Also Sainz and Norris last time as teammates. Easily my favorite duo on the track. Hilarious together and two good drivers.

Going to be a fun weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hamilton confirmed and is now in Abu Dhabi

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Aaahhh bol***

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Hamilton confirmed and is now in Abu Dhabi

It seems a very short time for Lewis to be out. Perez was out for two races and Stroll one, but that race (Eifel) was two weeks apart from both the race before it and after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It seems a very short time for Lewis to be out. Perez was out for two races and Stroll one, but that race (Eifel) was two weeks apart from both the race before it and after it.

You will get the line from Sky after he wins of "wow, what a performance after all the time out of the car".

Just watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

5er on vandoorne to score points on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Shame. Would have loved to see Russell back in the car.

Hamilton returning kind of ends any mad excitement I think.

Well that's my buzz well and truly extinguished

• Advertisement

Monster energy for the win.

Would be good to see Vandoorne in the car also , I assume as the simulator driver he is familiar with all modes and setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Shame, with nothing to lose it would have been good to see Russell v Bottas Rd 2 at Abu Dhabi! Ach so, what a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Gintonious wrote: »
    You will get the line from Sky after he wins of "wow, what a performance after all the time out of the car".

Just watch.

He'll mention on the radio how little energy he has and is struggling with fatigue but he'll power on like the hero he is and Wolff will say how it was a miracle that he was able to last the full race after nearly dieing of covid just a few days earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The responses on Twitter are very reflective of what we have in here, I was hoping for a good race.

If George was in the Merc I'd make the effort to watch it live, now I don't think I'll bother and just catch the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So then the only highlights will be

Confirmed F1 farewell for KMag, team farewells for Sainz, Vettel, Perez and Ricciardo. Potential F1 farewell's for Kvyat, Albon and Fittipaldi.

McLaren's final race using Renault engines.

Racing Point and Renault's final race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gintonious wrote: »
    The responses on Twitter are very reflective of what we have in here, I was hoping for a good race.

If it's that bad then maybe Hamilton's stock has taken a bit of a battering and he's not quite the King he thinks he is.

Hopefully he doesn't get past turn 1 on Sunday.

If it's that bad then maybe Hamilton's stock has taken a bit of a battering and he's not quite the King he thinks he is.

Hopefully he doesn't get past turn 1 on Sunday.
    To be fair, I'd imagine a lot of it is because people feel George deserves a second shot after the almighty c**k up in the pits last week. Lewis has done enough this year so really doesn't need to be there as such.

I'm neither a fan nor a hater of Lewis, I just feel George got shafted last week so he deserves a clean attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Glad he's feeling better but bit of a downer from the point of view of the race having Hamilton back. Almost guaranteed that Hamilton will say he struggled during the race even though he'll have won by 30 seconds and have lapped half the field at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Glad he's feeling better but bit of a downer from the point of view of the race having Hamilton back. Almost guaranteed that Hamilton will say he struggled during the race even though he'll have won by 30 seconds and have lapped half the field at least.

Poor Bono's ears :(

Advertisement