Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Fascinating, as someone into my history, it's interesting see something niche like a WW1 trench watch and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Ian OB wrote: »
    Genuine fake Breitling I got in a Polish market about 11 years ago. Cost the princely sum of €25. I reckon the strap cost me €40 when it needed to be replaced. Has never been treated nicely, and has lasted alot better than some of the better watches to have adorned my wrist.

Mark it Zero

0bfe672d1ff7d879974b38c5b7d4a9f9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

Genuine fake Breitling

You've actually got my head spinning. If a fake is a genuine fake, then is a fake fake straight out of an AD?
    :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Wearing my 100% original, genuine "Donald Duck" Seiko today.

9dho8ixl.jpg

What a bargain it was! No doubt it is sapphire crystal, and has a lovely "whizzz" when you move your wrist, so you know its quality.

And check out the lume shot of that famous Seiko lume...

iBflD24l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm more a Micky Mouse type watch guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Fascinating, as someone into my history, it's interesting see something niche like a WW1 trench watch and learn.
    Wibbs has some great watches from ww1 + ww2 and loads of other odd sh1te.

Iirc he has a tail wheel off a stuka dive bomber:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

Genuine fake Breitling I got in a Polish market about 11 years ago. Cost the princely sum of €25. I reckon the strap cost me €40 when it needed to be replaced. Has never been treated nicely, and has lasted alot better than some of the better watches to have adorned my wrist.

Wow.. 2 Micky mouse watches on the one page

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was when wristwatches for men first really took off too Sonic. They haven't been around for as long as people would imagine. They had been a "women's watch" beforehand(mostly small pocketwatches in specially designed leather straps) and questions would have been raised if a man wore one. :) There had been some knocking around in the Boer war, when the convenience ofer fumbling about in your pocket was realised, but it was WW1 where everything changed and when men came back from that war they tended to keep wearing them for that convenience, so by 1920 wristwatches were beginning to overtake the sales of pocket watches and by 1930 had outstripped them. And now we're back to fumbling in our pockets again looking for the time on our phones. :D

It was also the time when many innovations in wristwatches came along. The first luminous dials, shock protection, the first water resistant watches, the first screwdown crowns, the first antimagnetic movements, the first date functions, pilot's watches, wrist chronographs...

Today I'm rocking this oul lump(feck didn't change the date...)

531065.jpg

From 1971, Longines first in house quartz movement and one of the first quartz movements to get to market. The world's first and only cybernetic watch. Yeah baby. :D
    Here's another, a Longines Ultronic Diver that's always in my rotation, this time from 1972, with a tuning fork electronic movement. Needs a service I suspect.

531066.jpg

As it happens and now you mention it... sitting on top an ammunition crate that housed the tankbuster rounds for this yoke...

5404c265808cc77054e64a3185073807.jpg

Stuka "Cannon Bird" or "Panzer Knacker", the latter being the more descriptive. Makes a helluva wine crate. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

I recently watched a BBC series on Netflix called the last post. It's set in the British army base in Aden in the late 60s. The series itself is alright (perfectly watchable) but they seemed to go out of their way to get some funky looking military watches from the time as they focused on them a few times. I know close to nothing about them but I'd say some of the military buffs here would enjoy them. One of them looked to have a protective case on it similar to Wibbs one which I thought would have been gone by the 60s but there you are.

P.S. Wibbs, I think there is a hole in the market on YouTube for you. You know too much not to be sharing this stuff. You could call the channel Wibbled for your pleasure! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

redlead wrote: »

P.S. Wibbs, I think there is a hole in the market on YouTube for you. You know too much not to be sharing this stuff. You could call the channel Wibbled for your pleasure! ;-)
    It was mentioned before but the amount of radium in Wibbs house was a cause for Health and Safety to say no.

If wibbs says "wanna see the lume"........run :P:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Wibbs wrote: »
    Here's another, a Longines Ultronic Diver that's always in my rotation, this time from 1972, with a tuning fork electronic movement. Needs a service I suspect.

That is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Wearing my 100% original, genuine "Donald Duck" Seiko today.

What a bargain it was! No doubt it is sapphire crystal, and has a lovely "whizzz" when you move your wrist, so you know its quality.

And check out the lume shot of that famous Seiko lume...

That's a quacker...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

seriously cool longines.....and it's from my birth year....1972....I have a big birthday coming up.....must start dropping subtle hints to those that care....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OldBean wrote: »
    That is gorgeous.
    Thanks OB. It's got a bit of heft to it and the quality of the dial and hands is really high. The electronic tuning fork movement means the secondhand is really smooooooth in motion. Well a mechanical movement generally beats at 3 or 4 Hz, that runs at 300.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm new to this whole watches thing and find Wibbs' posts fascinating. Have to agree with the YT channel idea. I'm picturing the History Guy but for watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I'm new to this whole watches thing and find Wibbs' posts fascinating. Have to agree with the YT channel idea. I'm picturing the History Guy but for watches.
    Here he is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

dinorebel wrote: »
    Here he is

Ah, my favorite retired QC!

The Two Tailors, Ralph and Ted, Roly Birkin - comedy genius.

Suits you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Wibbs wrote: »
    And we're onto a new thread... Here's to the next 10,000. My first post in the last thread featured this watch I'm wearing today as it happens so seemed appropriate. :)

From that photo the crown looks as though it could restrict your wrist / hand movement, or at least cause some digging into the hand?? Is it just photo angle or is that an issue?

From that photo the crown looks as though it could restrict your wrist / hand movement, or at least cause some digging into the hand?? Is it just photo angle or is that an issue?
    Oh it sticks out alright WG, originally designed so it was easier to wind and set wearing gloves in open cockpits, but oddly enough doesn't restrict the way you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Ah, my favorite retired QC!

The Two Tailors, Ralph and Ted, Roly Birkin - comedy genius.

Suits you!

In case you've not seen this, here's a link to Q&A the British Film Institute did with them a few months ago

https://youtu.be/Xcwu9qkh6mA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Wibbs has some great watches from ww1 + ww2 and loads of other odd sh1te.

Thanks

To be fair he seems the type of man that knows the correct way to wear his chinos alright :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

Thanks

To be fair he seems the type of man that knows the correct way to wear his chinos alright :cool:

Wait... there’s an incorrect way to wear chinos??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Inside out or back to front will grab you some attention.

Homer wrote: »
    Wait... there’s an incorrect way to wear chinos??
    Yep. Putting them on. :p:D
    Thanks

:D I have never worn a pair of chinos in my born days good Sir. That way lies sweaters, slippers and slacks. :eek: I'm too thin for them anyway. Jeans man all the way. I certainly won't be gracing the pages of GQ any time soon that's for sure. Maybe the hipster edition... :D

French LIP Nautic-Ski, second edition from the late 1960's, in Super-Compressor case.

531165.jpg

World's first electronic divers watch. That's the "Nautic" part, the "Ski" part is because the head of the LIP company's daughter was a keen and accomplished skier and it's a very wet affair so wanted a watch that would be able to take the rough and tumble of that sport. The model was first in mechanical watches for men and women, then they put their in house developed electronic movement(one of the first and certainly successful of the type) into the man's size and voila. They were bought and used by Jacques Cousteau's dive team and the cheapest of those watches used by them. Not a quickset date, so you have to grind through the days if it's out, which can be a right pain.

It's in need of a service, but sadly the chap in the UK who used to service them stopped. :( There's a guy in Paris does it, but charges like a wounded bull elephant for it. You'd buy a whole NOS working movement and have mucho change for what he charges. Hell I got the watch for less than he charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That LIP is certainly not pish.

I'm here all week folks, and luckily the week is almost over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

This is why you wear your G-Shock when moving house...

IMG-20201030-181015-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Oh, thats not good.
    How do you go about fixing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Don't fix it, just embracelet it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

One of the easier clasps for rebrush if it bothers you !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

One could argue it tells the story of the closing of a chapter of life and leave it there as a reminder! Not me though :D

Going to take it as an excuse to source an adjustable clasp from the latest Seamaster. Would anyone know of good way to get a genuine clasp without having to go to an AD?

Advertisement