Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

scwazrh wrote: »
    My god he is hard to listen to

Do you think so? I like his vibe. Why do you dislike him....genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

893bet wrote: »

(Also today is Monday)

Not gonna lie, this genuinely saved me checking my calender :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Fitz II wrote: »
    Do you think so? I like his vibe. Why do you dislike him....genuinely interested.

The monotone voice , the 3 sentences instead of one style of padding and the Youtube style of fixing the camera Close up on themselves .I’m not a fan of bark and jack for the same reasons / video style.

The monotone voice , the 3 sentences instead of one style of padding and the Youtube style of fixing the camera Close up on themselves .I’m not a fan of bark and jack for the same reasons / video style.

bark and jack is not my favourite either but by god that fellow can photograph and edit a watch well. I think Oisin from Timeless to be a sort of everyman collector in that middle aged, middle class man sort of way. A professional entertainer. He does these vids with a "evil voice in his head" that are genuinely hilarious. He is not trying to sell anything. He buys a load of less popular two tone watches, and is big into his omega and breitling. Solid Irishman too. Some of his vids are about him trying to navigate the vageries of youtube and them seem to be difficult. Still I can understand you view, he certainly presents a lifestyle, but I think he a genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I understand what you're saying. First few times I watched his videos I didn't particularly like them either but after watching different ones I came to like them.
    Not all his vids are equally good and I agree about the close-up ones, I don't like B&J and I've seen most of his.

I particularly like the ones where he's wandering round Venice or some other Italian city. Reminds me of the week I spent in Venice with my family about 18 years ago, amazing place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

The effort that Oisin puts into some of his videos has kind of ruined most other YT watch channels on me. The standard sitting behind a camera giving a lazy analysis of a watch just won't cut it anymore. I want an exotic location, a 20k watch, some booze and food recommendations, classical music and some dry Irish humour in a cinematic standard 40 minute video.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seems like a sound lad alright. I've watched a few of his vids now. Not my area watch wise, but still worth watching. And like F notes he's not trying to sell anything, which is a departure from many out there. Then again my area of vintage stuff on the Tube is very sparse, or was anyway. I suppose because it's too wide a subject and the watches are much harder to source in general, unless you find a collector who wants to share.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK, so we're going from the minter classic that is a speedy to...

tumblr_mnn3ehe9T01qzkdnwo1_500.gif

And in comparison by all metrics only interesting from a social, political and 70's style angle(which the bloody Speedy kinda does too. Dammit! :D )

The Chaika Resonator.

530747.jpg

Now we all like the Russian watches, the Vostoks et al to some degree. Even our Fitzy is "like, OK they're not a Rolex, nor a homage either so... not a sh1tter" :D

But the above is the Soviet Unions first quartz watch. Built entirely "in house" because well commercial source supply from the West wasn't an option. So like the Amphibia waterproof case design that didn't copy anyone they got as inventive as Russians can be. The movement is as much mechanical as quartz, the quartz chip is a Soviet one and the design is like something from the very early days of quartz(the French LIP in particular and I suspect a bit of help there. Up the workers an' that). These were an expensive watch for Soviet citizens(they were never for export). Near the level of "OK Vasily do we get the fridge so we don't want food poisoning, or do you want to tell the time incredibly accurately for no bloody good reason?". However any money went into the movement. The case is chromed brass, the lume is non existent, the dial possibly printed by a potato, the raised indices by Aldi. The original bracelet defies my powers to describe cheap. And nasty. But on the plus side it's noticeable, because it resembles the aforementioned fridge and is nigh on as big and it tells very good time. And is a bit historically interesting, if you're into that sort of thang.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

redlead wrote: »
    The effort that Oisin puts into some of his videos has kind of ruined most other YT watch channels on me. The standard sitting behind a camera giving a lazy analysis of a watch just won't cut it anymore. I want an exotic location, a 20k watch, some booze and food recommendations, classical music and some dry Irish humour in a cinematic standard 40 minute video.

He has so far not compromised on video quality. They must take weeks to shoot and edit. Sure he does the odd easy taking head video but I don’t mind that as I am genuinely interested in what he has to say.

Wish he would branch out a little more from Rolex though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

893bet wrote: »
    He has so far not compromised on video quality. They must take weeks to shoot and edit. Sure he does the odd easy taking head video but I don’t mind that as I am genuinely interested in what he has to say.

Wish he would branch out a little more from Rolex though.

Give him a bit of time :p

And in fairness he doesn't just cover Rolex. Several of his vids are about Seiko, Breitling, Omega, Panerai. And he has mentioned more than once that he is a bit stuck at the Rolex level, quite possibly ready to move on from there

Not that that is a prerequisite for any watch person to reach the Rolex level, hang in there for a while and then move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what does a lad like that do for a living? presume he just has a few quid and doesnt need to work and does this for the enjoyment?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anywho, few more pics of the JLC, im genuinely very happy with this, and its the first time in a while that ive got a new watch that i cant stop looking at, i was worried it would be a little too similar to the IWC but its not really,

ill do a SOTC later this week if i can.

PIVJAZ6.jpg

jXcr02e.jpg

N8IjBwh.jpg

eQeAjzp.jpg

Cyrus wrote: »
    what does a lad like that do for a living? presume he just has a few quid and doesnt need to work and does this for the enjoyment?

He's a fairly successful music producer I believe. Hes also referenced that he has some sort of computer store in NY. I'd say he has his fingers in a few pies.

Also, that JLC is a beauty.

Cyrus, look at the depth in the dial, yet it looks flat in the top down. Thats one I must see in hand. Omegas are like that, very 3d dials in the flesh. Bet you any money if you loupe that dial there will not be a fleck of paint out of place.....what a watch.

Been wearing my SRPE53 off & on for the past couple of weeks. Finally got the bracelet sizing about right. Verdict, great lume, poor accuracy +15sec/day, poor quality bracelet, looks good and will make an okay beater.

530763.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Cyrus wrote: »
    anywho, few more pics of the JLC, im genuinely very happy with this, and its the first time in a while that ive got a new watch that i cant stop looking at, i was worried it would be a little too similar to the IWC but its not really,

ill do a SOTC later this week if i can.

That is a lovely and classy watch.

Wearing my oldest wristwatch today and from the early days of same. 1912. Same year the Titanic sank*. Fairly unusual for the time not being a circular small pocketwatch with wire lugs design.

530958.jpg

*And Kate Winslet is a Longines ambassador so...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I've been wearing my monster mod for the past few days and I'm very tempted to put it up for trade :confused:

530960.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Wibbs wrote: »
    Wearing my oldest wristwatch today and from the early days of same. 1912. Same year the Titanic sank*. Fairly unusual for the time not being a circular small pocketwatch with wire lugs design.

*And Kate Winslet is a Longines ambassador so...

Looks to be in amazing condition. Has it had much/any restoration work (the watch, not Kate)?

• Advertisement

RMDrive wrote: »
    Looks to be in amazing condition. Has it had much/any restoration work (the watch, not Kate)?
    That one did RM. It ran well, the movement and case numbers matched, but at some point the dial was cracked and the wrong(later) sort and the wrong hands were fitted, but after a while keeping an eye on ebay I found good examples of both(the hands were easy, the dial took over a year).

Generally though I've been lucky with early watches like Trench types because I know what to look for and they tended to go out of fashion by the 20's so enough seemed to have been squirrelled away in drawers. And they tend to be pretty cheap even today(though dealers gouge the prices). EG this from 1916:

530977.jpg

530976.jpg

A half hunter(flip top lid like a pocketwatch) in silver. Only replaced the crystals, stuck a repro WW1 strap on, but otherwise 100% original. I do need to remove the very original radium lume mind you as it makes a geiger counter go the full Chernobyl. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Why the flip cover Wibbs and is the centre hole glass covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Why the flip cover Wibbs and is the centre hole glass covered?

Was gonna ask myself

The cover is to protect the watch. It's a half-hunter because of the hole. If it didn't have a hole it's be a full-hunter.

Doubt the hole has glass.

Yeah like CT said, though the hole has glass alright. It was often advertised as a safety feature and anti shrapnel cover. Yeah...

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah like CT said, though the hole has glass alright. It was often advertised as a safety feature and anti shrapnel cover. Yeah...

I presume the hinge is sprung and it pops up when the catch at 6 is released?

I presume the hinge is sprung and it pops up when the catch at 6 is released?
    Exactly, though some have no spring. I presume they were cheaper.

Another aspect to the cover is to cut down the light coming from the radium in the dark. When new these would have glowed very brightly. They threw a lot of radium into the mix, which tended to burn out the phosphorescent material very quickly. In ads of the time you'll often see "guaranteed luminous for two/three years", whereas later radioactive lume, radium or tritium would shine for longer because the mix wasn't nearly as strong. People who saw the radium lume reported it as being eerily bright, much brighter than later safer stuff. Not good in trench at night with snipers about.

New (to me) Nomos Tangente. Pretty impressed with it. The movement really is lovely for the money. Really glad that I went for the 38 too; the 35.5 would be much too small.

20201029-112822.jpg

20201029-112847.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ian OB

Genuine fake Breitling I got in a Polish market about 11 years ago. Cost the princely sum of €25. I reckon the strap cost me €40 when it needed to be replaced. Has never been treated nicely, and has lasted alot better than some of the better watches to have adorned my wrist.

Advertisement