Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snooker season 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

robinwing wrote: »
    To give Robertson has due, he had his cue for a very long time, many years, it had taken a lot of power shots and long pots , and felt his new cue generated more power .

Ken's cue must have taken a hell of a lot of shots over the decades, even if Robertson's individual shots might be more powerful. (I think he said he had it's the only cue he has ever had and has since he was 12, but that sounds like i might have misremembered).

If there's anything to it then Ken's cue cant be as good as it used to be. He must be afraid to change it because he's so used to it rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Ken's cue must have taken a hell of a lot of shots over the decades, even if Robertson's individual shots might be more powerful. (I think he said he had it's the only cue he has ever had and has since he was 12, but that sounds like i might have misremembered).

If there's anything to it then Ken's cue cant be as good as it used to be. He must be afraid to change it because he's so used to it rather than anything else.

Yeah probably right , I think it didn't cost too much either back in the day either. Did his father buy it for him ? I believe he, did so maybe very sentimental reasons for using it so long also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

That's what I don't understand. If I was a top player and I suffered a sharp decline I would be trying every possible solution under the sun. What did Ken have to lose by changing cue? It's a piece of junk he bought for £2. I actually thought that story was a joke at first.

I was thinking about the '03 final as well. The analogy of the boxer who suffers an exhausting defeat never being the same again comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I recall an interview ken gave around late noughties when he was talking about his slip down the rankings in which he said his wife had asked him why he was coming across so negative in his interviews. She wasnt a big snooker fan afaik but she is a psychologist. And i think thats what happened, he just lost his confidence and never really got it back. One of the most frustrating matches i ever watched was the defeat to mcmanus in the 2005 worlds. That was last 16 with a qualifier Ian McCulloch waiting in the qf. The ken of 2 years previously would never have lost that match.

The other thing is, it wasnt unusual for players of that era not to thrive beyond mid to late 30s. Hendry, ebdon, stevens etc. Jimmy didnt win much beyond his mid 30s either. And its clear to me the fact they were being assaulted by the greatest generation the game has known as well as a good crop of youth coming through was the dominant factor in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Why is the North so successful at snooker compared to the South? Apart from Ken's early days.

• Advertisement

Why is the North so successful at snooker compared to the South? Apart from Ken's early days.

I think snooker had more of a tradition in the north from the early days. Jackie Rea emerged back in the 40s and 50s and would have been a huge inspiration to the likes of higgins and taylor. There were a few decent players down south but no one at that level. There probably other factors but i think thats part of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

sligeach wrote: »
    Stephen Hendry: Seven-time world champion to make comeback at Gibraltar Open

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/56092494

I hope this comeback goes well. Hopefully he's put the practice in required.

Will his comeback match be televised anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Glenman wrote: »
    Will his comeback match be televised anywhere?

Would be very surprised if it's not on Eurosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Higgins handing Selby his ass here on ITV4

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Higgins handing Selby his ass here on ITV4

Thread on the Players' Championship here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058162461

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

https://youtu.be/orLfM3CzDng?t=39733 Always remember this as being a real pity of a miss. Actually an easier shot than I remember, though the next red was not a gimme had he got it.

elgriff wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/orLfM3CzDng?t=39733 Always remember this as being a real pity of a miss. Actually an easier shot than I remember, though the next red was not a gimme had he got it.

Missed a couple that frame i think, one into the middle too when all the balls were there for him. If he plays that shot along the top cushion easier maybe it drops, but i dont recall they slipped in so easily in those days.

elgriff wrote: »

Looked a significant miss alright. His next shot costs him the frame.

Must rewatch a full match of Ken in his prime, see how good a player he really was with the benefit of hindsight. Be interesting to compare his standard to that of the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yet another tournament this week! Coming thick and fast these days. surprised to see Ronnie had entered given he has had two long weeks on the trot now. I guess he's really given it his all this year to try and stay in form for that seventh world title tilt.

Hendry's return tomorrow as well. Will be interesting to see how he fares. Not expecting a whole lot if I'm honest. Feeney may be good but he's not a miracle worker. Surely 12 years away from the game is just a bridge too far for Hendry to cross?

Wouldnt imagine a good few of the top guys would bother only its in Milton Keynes and it probably is the equivalent of a few days decent practice. Doubt ronnies ever played in it before, though judd is defending champ and chasing some sort of bonus prize so was always going to play. Seems to want to play in everything anyway, bar the shootout. No off switch with judd i think.

Always maintain with hendry, its all about getting back and having a crack at qualifying for the crucible. Otherwise, i see no point. Cant even begin to hope you might compete to retain your card if you dont play tournaments so all i see left worth bothering about is the worlds and seeing if he's in any shape to be competitive. Drawing his best pal here is interesting, dunno should it make much difference either way, but dont think its a bad thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Genghis

Given that he retired out of not being able to accept modest achievement, it would be a big enough change for Hendry if he could focus on "just" getting back to the Crucible.

I think if he gets a couple of wins, doesn't embarrass himself, he might well get comfortable with the modest goal; I fear if he doesn't have some early success he might abandon.

Seems Eurosport is the only broadcaster for the Gibralter, so I will need to re-sub.

I dunno, i may be underselling him. I remember being actually mildly surprised he was able to beat Nigel Bond(!) in the seniors last year and he's obviously had 6 months of hard work since. Only guessing what his thought processes could be, but getting to the crucible would represent a very decent achievement in my eyes anyway. Draw could be kind so never say never.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Pighead wrote: »
    Yet another tournament this week! Coming thick and fast these days. surprised to see Ronnie had entered given he has had two long weeks on the trot now. I guess he's really given it his all this year to try and stay in form for that seventh world title tilt.

And so it transpires. Ronnie and Higgins both withdrew

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

zuutroy wrote: »
    And so it transpires. Ronnie and Higgins both withdrew
    The Hendry effect. Top players running scared!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

6 grand if you reach a semi final and stick around until Saturday. Always likely there were going to be a few taking a break now.

I dunno, i may be underselling him. I remember being actually mildly surprised he was able to beat Nigel Bond(!) in the seniors last year and he's obviously had 6 months of hard work since. Only guessing what his thought processes could be, but getting to the crucible would represent a very decent achievement in my eyes anyway. Draw could be kind so never say never.

Where is this form needed to qualify for the WC going to come from? Look at his results in the seniors WC over the last decade. Ex-players who have long retired beating him comfortably. Trump was right to question the legitimacy of his return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Genghis

I may have this wrong, but wasn't Hendry getting some benefit from sight right coaching? Same technique that revived Mark Williams and improved Ronnie, among others?

Where is this form needed to qualify for the WC going to come from? Look at his results in the seniors WC over the last decade. Ex-players who have long retired beating him comfortably. Trump was right to question the legitimacy of his return.

I'm not unduly bothered by the whole hendry comeback thing really, but i presume faith is supposed to come from the fact he's knuckled down for the first time in a decade and worked on his technical game with steve feeney. Thats the theory i guess. As for the worlds, i wouldnt be putting hard cash on it anyway, but you could have a situation where he had to beat, say, Reanne Evans/Rory McLeod/Michael Holt to qualify or he could draw Joe Perry or Bingham first round. In one scenario, he might have some small squeak at least.

Put it all another way, i'd still fancy jimmy to make the crucible ahead of hendry and i dont fancy jimmy whatsoever. No real idea what hendry thinks he can get out of the whole thing, but i know for hearn its a nice bit of cheap publicity for a sport that always needs every bit it can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

Feels like Hendry's heart not really in it. Always a big fan so let's see where it goes. I read he had 24 hours to say yes. I think that, along with seeing his peers still winning, and now the delays in coming back, all adds up to being interested in having a crack but without committing a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnie on a maxi...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

In his own gaff? Ronnie's gone home

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

In his own gaff? Ronnie's gone home

Ha yes only had it on in the background. Replay of the China Open from 2018!

Time for bed it seems. Night all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

About the match tomorrow, I've obviously heard of Selt but I've never actually seen him play. Surprised to see that he's ranked at 35.

Advertisement