Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

Regarding fr4854. The semen went though all the usual tests and flew through. It was even sent to Germany according to last weeks journal and passed there. Tbf, its just one of those things i'd say.
    Tbf there's so many bulls out there now that spreading the risk is an easy task, especially if DIY AI and not tied to one station.
    He wasn't even that good a bull...
    I know it would be seriously annoying but there have been many people paid big money for stock bulls without results as well!
    Some people love to knock down NCBC whenever they get a chance.... milk recording, triplestar,etc. (btw I've no ties to them just get sick of the same fellas complaining the whole time about them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

whelan2 wrote: »
    I used 4728, checked ai book there alot of repeats to him. I will ring ai man tomorrow. These would have been fresh straws. Very obvious the repeats when you look at the book.

that was pivital he was used a lot down here, avg results for conception

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Regarding fr4854. The semen went though all the usual tests and flew through. It was even sent to Germany according to last weeks journal and passed there. Tbf, its just one of those things i'd say.
    Tbf there's so many bulls out there now that spreading the risk is an easy task, especially if DIY AI and not tied to one station.
    He wasn't even that good a bull...
    I know it would be seriously annoying but there have been many people paid big money for stock bulls without results as well!
    Some people love to knock down NCBC whenever they get a chance.... milk recording, triplestar,etc. (btw I've no ties to them just get sick of the same fellas complaining the whole time about them)

Are u sure in that ,triple star never mentioned nor ncbc in praticular nor milk recording ........
    Anyway to me the fault is with icbf snd how these figures are generated faults have been discovered before and in my opinion there’s another one lurking away there now (fertility score calculation )ai companies pump huge money into these bulls and its them who have to carry most of the flak when bills go wrong ..we’ve too many proof runs and too many base changes ,also advice keeps changing on how many bulls to use u simply can’t have faith in something like this far too many duds comming thru and there figures tank when stock start hitting the ground .caveat emptor ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Are u sure in that ,triple star never mentioned nor ncbc in praticular nor milk recording ........
    Anyway to me the fault is with icbf snd how these figures are generated faults have been discovered before and in my opinion there’s another one lurking away there now (fertility score calculation )ai companies pump huge money into these bulls and its them who have to carry most of the flak when bills go wrong ..we’ve too many proof runs and too many base changes ,also advice keeps changing on how many bulls to use u simply can’t have faith in something like this far too many duds comming thru and there figures tank when stock start hitting the ground .caveat emptor ....

When sourcing bulls here from abroad their initial ebi for fertility is always crap, given i only use bulls that have really good fertility for their country of origin figures, it always transpires after a few proof runs these bulls ebi usually jumps 80-100 euro for fertility, happened with batman and yamaska would be the most relavant examples, batman was the most glaring example going from -29 to 76 in a few proof runs
    the thing is their genomic scores for their country of origin didnt change for fertility, so wtf is going on with the irish system its so far out the first proof run and then magical corrects itself in cases where their is no new data to influence the initial ebi proof, its not logicial

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mickey1985

Lads anyone on this pit in a dairy geyser? I'm undecided whether to go with that or put in gas for water heating. Gas is 2500 to install. Can't see much information on anyone who put in a geyser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Lads anyone on this pit in a dairy geyser? I'm undecided whether to go with that or put in gas for water heating. Gas is 2500 to install. Can't see much information on anyone who put in a geyser

Have no idea how good they are, however their documentation relating to savings to be made are farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

alps wrote: »
    Have no idea how good they are, however their documentation relating to savings to be made are farcical.

I thought same for what it’s worth I’m sticking with my normal heater have it in timer for when doing hot washes timer switch on at 1 am off at 7’cznt see any reason to drop few grand on gas,geyser or solar

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

What’s the crack with this “Tag threshold” for calf registrations. Hope it’s not the Green Party been sneaky trying to cut cow numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

that was pivital he was used a lot down here, avg results for conception

Ai man said 4728 is still available and he hasnt heard of any complaints until I rang him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Ugh. F*cking scc gone up to 177 from 76. I'll have to strip them in the morning now. I have a few that kick the sh1te out of me every time I have to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How many units and how many cows? Liners may be due a change possibly? Could just be the one cow to cause an increase like that. Have you recorded this year yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grueller wrote: »
    Ugh. F*cking scc gone up to 177 from 76. I'll have to strip them in the morning now. I have a few that kick the sh1te out of me every time I have to do it.

It could be 76 again the next collection and ne'r a cow touched..

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Depending on amount of cows you'd be lucky to see a clinical presentation with that jump I'd say.

Would you be aswell off paddle testing whatever was showing as high in the last recording and then strip them all if the next bulk sample is high?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

It could be 76 again the next collection and ne'r a cow touched..

Ya I milked them two hours early on Sunday and they were fair agitated over it. Could be the cause.

Ya I milked them two hours early on Sunday and they were fair agitated over it. Could be the cause.

Leave it and see the next test then would my advice.

Now if you posted 400. Then it's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭straight

I strip them every milking. Love the hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭straight

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    What’s the crack with this “Tag threshold” for calf registrations. Hope it’s not the Green Party been sneaky trying to cut cow numbers.

I'd say not. They're just going to remove us from the land through designations. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

straight wrote: »
    I'd say not. They're just going to remove us from the land through designations. Ah well.

Might do us a favour

They'll all be breeding Fleckviehs here now.:)
    153k for a polled Fleckvieh bull.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3138885316204438&id=571066442986351&anchor_composer=false

The hour this evening was very interesting, good event

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »

Interesting grenade thrown by Conor Creedon, the ground he limes in the Autumn is the land he goes to first in spring:D

Interesting grenade thrown by Conor Creedon, the ground he limes in the Autumn is the land he goes to first in spring:D

That's what you want it hear is lads own experiences too. Slurry out on silage ground picked up Tues, was gonna go with urea next week and perhaps lime the week after if weather plays ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Am I missing something or is there no link on that tweet?
    I'm a member and I wasn't sent any link???

If you can get biology going and going deeper into your soil. It'll hold more moisture and be more free draining if that makes sense.

There was a man told me his son did a stint on a silage harvester in New Zealand. One instance there was a thirty minute downpour of an inch and a half of rain. The crew had to stop. But an hour later they could start up again. The volcanic soil just soaked up the water no run off. Said you could actually hear the water going down into the soil.

I'll have to get my hands on these tests.
    In my eyes they'll be the only soil test that will matter a damn to the farmer.
    It's a test to see how much (in teagasc talk) soil nitrogen mineralization your soil is doing. It'll also show how management is going.

https://solvita.com/co2-burst/

Here.

https://youtu.be/d1lVk2etTBI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Why is that a "grenade"?
    Lime generally flushes nutrients from the soil so it would make sense that there would be a corresponding flush of growth.

It was on the website and on agriland as well as social media I think.

Why is that a "grenade"?
    Lime generally flushes nutrients from the soil so it would make sense that there would be a corresponding flush of growth.

People forget though being a ground up rock dust. That it's now in a form available to biology. So it feeds bacteria. And that bacteria gets eaten by that bacteria and that fungi and so on. So you'll get nitrogen release just from the biological increase.

Why is that a "grenade"?

It was more in response to the belief that it can make ground difficult in wet weather and he said he was in paddocks first the following spring following aut application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It was more in response to the belief that it can make ground difficult in wet weather and he said he was in paddocks first the following spring following aut application

If going with calcium lime youll have zero issues, but mag lime like roadstone have is a big no no if on wet heavy ground

Advertisement