Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotoGP, Superbikes and Road Racing 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

TBH I'm really only interested in BSB...would be nice to see that at least...looking forward to see how our Jack gets on...

Good to see Celtic HSBK doin good in the openers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

good documentary now streaming on netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Aussie superbikes are on too...;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Word emerging from Spain today that Pol Espagaro is leaving KTM to take up a factory ride with Honda !

Pol , who was once Yamaha future superstar,is believed to have informed KTM that he is leaving.

There have been non-denials from both sides , Pol will either take Alex Marquez factory spot with Alex moving to LCR on a factory bike or Pol will go to LCR (less likely).

If this happens KTM will need a new top line rider - which is possibly why they are trying to convince Dovi to sign though latest reports from Italy are that Dovi will eventually sign for Ducati.

Cal Crutchlow could get the ride as his spot at LCR looks to be in danger as it's unlikely that Honda will drop a Japanese rider.

Aleix Espagaro has indicated that he is on the verge of signing for Aprilla.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Word emerging from Spain today that Pol Espagaro is leaving KTM to take up a factory ride with Honda !

Pol , who was once Yamaha future superstar,is believed to have informed KTM that he is leaving.

There have been non-denials from both sides , Pol will either take Alex Marquez factory spot with Alex moving to LCR on a factory bike or Pol will go to LCR (less likely).

If this happens KTM will need a new top line rider - which is possibly why they are trying to convince Dovi to sign though latest reports from Italy are that Dovi will eventually sign for Ducati.

Cal Crutchlow could get the ride as his spot at LCR looks to be in danger as it's unlikely that Honda will drop a Japanese rider.

Aleix Espagaro has indicated that he is on the verge of signing for Aprilla.

lucio says he is trying to secure both cal and nakagami

https://twitter.com/MotoGP/status/1268848789885984769

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I always thought it was a bad move for Alex to go to HRC. Better to be top dog elsewhere than second fiddle to Marc. And for the same reason, why would anyone want to be his teammate? Incidentally, Marc has signed a new FOUR year deal with HRC, $25m/year.

Scotty # wrote: »
    I always thought it was a bad move for Alex to go to HRC. Better to be top dog elsewhere than second fiddle to Marc. And for the same reason, why would anyone want to be his teammate? Incidentally, Marc has signed a new FOUR year deal with HRC, $25m/year.

I was listening to the Autosport podcast earlier and their man,Oriol Puigdemont, was very confident that the deal was done (he also broke Jorge to Honda in 19) .
    It seems that the preference was to place Alex at LCR but Cals monster sponsorship deal made that impossible.

Pol going to Honda also adds to the apparent disdain of Puig towards KTM and Pit Beirer.

KTM are the big losers here and with the news that their protégé Jorge Martin is to join Pramac Ducati in 2021 they are left with Brad Binder - no moto gp experience, Iker Lecona who is their gamble (of being the next Fabio) and Miguel Oliveria who is very unhappy after being snubbed for Zarco's seat in the factory team.

Dovi is very close to signing for Ducati and Petrucci is close to signing for Aprilla, Lorenzo is not interested in going to KTM and Pedrosa has no interest in racing.

So who goes to KTM in 2021 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,086 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I was listening to the Autosport podcast earlier and their man,Oriol Puigdemont, was very confident that the deal was done (he also broke Jorge to Honda in 19) .
    It seems that the preference was to place Alex at LCR but Cals monster sponsorship deal made that impossible.

Pol going to Honda also adds to the apparent disdain of Puig towards KTM and Pit Beirer.

KTM are the big losers here and with the news that their protégé Jorge Martin is to join Pramac Ducati in 2021 they are left with Brad Binder - no moto gp experience, Iker Lecona who is their gamble (of being the next Fabio) and Miguel Oliveria who is very unhappy after being snubbed for Zarco's seat in the factory team.

Dovi is very close to signing for Ducati and Petrucci is close to signing for Aprilla, Lorenzo is not interested in going to KTM and Pedrosa has no interest in racing.

So who goes to KTM in 2021 ??

Alex Marquez? He seems the driver set to loose out if thats how the contracts fall. Or Iannone to KTM if he is eventually cleared.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Alex Marquez? He seems the driver set to loose out if thats how the contracts fall. Or Iannone to KTM if he is eventually cleared.

Alex will be placed at LCR on a factory bike - which is what would have happened last year if Cals sponsorship was not so complicated

Alex will be placed at LCR on a factory bike - which is what would have happened last year if Cals sponsorship was not so complicated

Oh so its Cal on the move? He could move to KTM for a year maybe unless he decides to just retire (more likely). But maybe KTM could pay big enough to convince him to do a year. Its crazy they didn't give Oliveira a KTM factory seat this year and leave the two rookies at Tech3.

• Advertisement

Cals monster sponsorship deal made that impossible.
    I was thinking 'what monster deal did he get'? but of course it's the drink, not a huge new sponsorship deal. Can you elaborate on this though? Can't find much about it online. Why would his deal with Monster hinder LCR from replacing him? Anyway, I thought the Monster deal was with MotoGP in general and not particular riders.

Saw on reddit apparently theres an article in French claiming Zarco is gunna take Miller's Pramac for 2021 and Martín will get the offer of a Avintia.

Scotty # wrote: »
    I was thinking 'what monster deal did he get'? but of course it's the drink, not a huge new sponsorship deal. Can you elaborate on this though? Can't find much about it online. Why would his deal with Monster hinder LCR from replacing him? Anyway, I thought the Monster deal was with MotoGP in general and not particular riders.

The proposal was to transfer Cal to the Repsol Red Bull Honda factory team - Cal has a factory contract.

Cal has personal sponsorship from Monster Energy.

On the Jorge Martin story - Pramac factory bike is the sweetner to take him away from KTM.

Zarco is out of favour - a pole sitting rider in 2018 ! - Suzuki rejected him,Rossi blocked him at Yamaha,Honda where not overly impressed and Ducati have not really mentioned him in terms of a factory bike.

July 1st is apparently a key date regarding confirmation of all the rumours - contract terms and conditions are preventing announcements.

I have to mention BT Sports - their team have being spreading rumours again ! - Rossi to Aprilla is my favourite !

Aleix Espagaro confirmed at Aprilla for the next 2 seasons.

Growing consensus that Petrucci will be his team mate.

Hot fùck. Iannone is shagged. While he is appealing his ban for its severity, WADA are appealing it for its leniency and want it increased to the 4 year maximum.

EaOc7mcWoAAnzZT?format=jpg&name=medium

Petrucci very close to joining KTM for 2021

Petrucci very close to joining KTM for 2021

Apparently so - Monday saw a very reliable journalist Oriol Puigdemont saying that KTM and Petrucci where close to a deal them on Wednesday Pol Espagaro indicated that he has offers from KTM, Honda and Ducati while Petrucci met KTM representatives.

KTM are of the view that Pol has signed for Honda.

Today , Friday, Ducati are saying that Ducati are Dovis best option for 2021 and that KTM can't offer him a front running bike.
    Also interestingly there appears to have been an issue (financial ) whereby Dovi was unwilling to ride for Ducati in 2020 !

Dovi to stay put and Petrucci to KTM looks most likely at this moment in time

Update : Autosport are reporting that Petrucci has signed for KTM - Ducati have said that they had lined up a superbike ride for him but are happy for Danilo if he stays in moto gp

Tech 3 !

One wonders if this is to placate Oliveria who was mightily peeved at Binder getting the factory ride ahead of him last year.

KTMs strategy is getting confusing - Tech 3 should be the training ground for the young guns with the factory team for the experienced riders who can give the proper input to the direction of the engineering of the bikes.

What experience can Binder bring ? Unless the decision is Dani leads the direction and the other riders must fall in line.

How Danilo - his height / weight / size at the opposite end of the scale to Dani - fits in will be interesting to watch.

Other news - Bradley Smith as expected will replace Iannone at Aprilla while Iannone is suspended

• Advertisement

That was a unexpected result. KTM screwed themselves giving a rookie a factory seat this year.

That was a unexpected result. KTM screwed themselves giving a rookie a factory seat this year.
    KTM think Iker or Brad will be the next Fabio (or hope ) not realising that a Fabio / Marquez / Rossi is once every 5+ years

Dovi crashed in an MX race today. Flown to hospital for surgery on his collarbone.

Be interesting to see if he will be fit for the 1st race of the season

Jorge to Ducati and Cal to Aprilla now looking very possible

Confirmed this morning :
    Pol to HRC,
    Alex to move from HRC to LCR
    Cal is out of HRC

Morbidelli has signed for SRT with Rossi to be announced (possibly this week in Jerez )

And finally Moto gp is back this weekend !

Marquez fastest in this mornings test session at Jerez - Miller /Fabio &;Aleix (!) In the top 4 showing the new Aprilla has speed.
    Dovi passed fit but well down the timesheets

Alex Rins unfit for tomorrow's race and looking doubtful for next week with what sounds like a nasty shoulder injury.

Fortunately his bike didn't hit Jack Miller who was standing up after he had just crashed at the same corner.

is it just me or do ktm seem to have made massive leaps forward with the gp bike?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    is it just me or do ktm seem to have made massive leaps forward with the gp bike?

Hard to judge after just qualifying but they are definitely better placed than last year's performance with Brad being the stand out performer this weekend. Iker too has impressed.
    Aprillas pace had evaporated while Petrucci looks lost - the other 3 Dukes where in Quali 2 - not good at all.

Hondas as before its Marc and Cal with the pace ,Bagnia a big jump in performance and Zarco hero to zero again albeit on a GP19 .

On paper it's Marc vs Marquez for the race , Fabio will be there or thereabouts and I think Frankie may be about to do something on his Yamaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Looks like rossi is getting to the end, if not there already.
    The young guns are showing him the road home. I think he needs a new challenge whether on 4 wheels or WSB. Catalunya last lap is one of my favourite sporting memories, but it has been a while. He is the last Yamaha on the grid. Hopefully he can resolve his problems, but I think that age and physique are against him now.

Although to see the new generation and their riding style is keeping the interest.

Advertisement