Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭downtheroad

crisco10 wrote: »

Insane. I remember that now, had the cyclist sued he would have ok but because he didn't he got penalised. I think a crowdfund was set up for him in the end.

Its bad enough having to watch out for all the traffic on the road never mind pedestrians just deciding to step out in front of you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is kinda tangential to motorists breaking a red but, as a pedestrian, this section of road infuriates me almost every morning.

https://goo.gl/maps/CWyeBXSr4VgrwVwh8

Drivers habitually enter the yellow box. And there's no traffic light at the pedestrian crossing. So when the green man comes up and I cross, very regularly drivers will go to move on as the traffic is clearing in front of them.

It's really frustrating, and happens practically every morning; I have to make sure I'm making eye contact to be sure they can see me.

It's obviously nothing as egregious as some of the incidents on here, but would this situation be worth flagging to the Gardai? If they had some traffic lights at the crossing it'd help, but I think the reason there are none is because of the yellow box.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I still don't know how I avoided crashing into a pedestrian who was crossing Amiens St towards Talbot St outside Connolly Station this morning. Traffic had the green light but all vehicles were back up, so this guy with headphones on and eyes glued to his phone stepped out directly in front of me.

I stopped and shouted at him and he didn't even acknowledge me. Anybody know what the situation would have been had I hit into him?

I am pretty sure from a criminal point of view, you would have been responsible although the peds lack of attention would have been a mitigating factor. In a civil case, presuming you both go to court, it would be at a judges discretion but it would be more favourable. (All guess work, no proof)

Driving for work this morning, had a green light, cars turning across as I approached, and continued to do so as I entered the junction, to the point I had to stop. Zero F*cks given. Anyone giving out about cyclists as the issue on Irish roads needs their head examined, every morning there is a near miss on my commute which if it hadn't been a miss would have been a serious RTC or a fatality. People taking turns while watching movies, people rewriting documents on the steering wheel, driving through junctions on red without slowing or even observing, no one apparently know how to use a god damn roundabout, speeding up to enter a junction on red, bumpers hitting the road because their ABS couldn't handle their speed or braking as the car judders and fishtails a bit, overtaking and turning across other traffic, dropping anchor on a road, drivers merging into the same lane from different directions, tailgating at speed, driving on the footpath, straddling lanes and so on. I am not excusing it but how is it even in the list of things looked at by anyone concerned about road safety.

These are all examples from me, in less than 5 days of commuting. These are not everything, not even close. Bring back the tractors, at least traffic had died down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Garzard

Really despise the commute through Rathmines every day. Had two unusually close calls there this morning with the dump truck in the 2min video here. A few seconds in I almost faceplanted into the back of it when it braked so abruptly. Probably a pedestrian as they always jaywalk around that spot. Hold my hands up there though and know I was far too close behind the truck, but having it brake that sudden was completely unexpected, but it's a lesson learnt. Thank Christ I was focused on it and for deciding to fit new brakes yesterday evening - the previous were in dire need of replacing.

Next, about midway through the video, the same truck starts edging into the bus lane in on top of me. Used to that happening around here and not as much of a near miss as the first but was all the more unnerving today due to the first close call moments before.

I won't spoil the last part of the video - not a near miss but still scared the sh1te out of me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

That driver and his employer needs to be shown that video whatever about making a balls of the left turn at the end, he should of straddled both lanes not completely moved into the left. Also you could easily of gone under when he cut into the bus lane had you been a few meters further forward and not noticed him cutting in when you did. Possibly one for the Guards even.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Garzard wrote: »
    Really despise the commute through Rathmines every day. Had two unusually close calls there this morning with the dump truck in the 2min video here. A few seconds in I almost faceplanted into the back of it when it braked so abruptly. Probably a pedestrian as they always jaywalk around that spot. Hold my hands up there though and know I was far too close behind the truck, but having it brake that sudden was completely unexpected, but it's a lesson learnt. Thank Christ I was focused on it and for deciding to fit new brakes yesterday evening - the previous were in dire need of replacing.

Next, about midway through the video, the same truck starts edging into the bus lane in on top of me. Used to that happening around here and not as much of a near miss as the first but was all the more unnerving today due to the first close call moments before.

I won't spoil the last part of the video - not a near miss but still scared the sh1te out of me!
    FFS If you scripted a video for all that to happen within two minutes, no-one would believe you, but it really does show Rathmines as an extreme sport.

That cement mixer driver was clearly just a bully, happy to push you out of his way to get into the bus lane. Can you make out the name on the truck?

As as for the final moment, I'm delighted for him - hope it cost him a few quid.

I'll definitely consider forwarding it on actually. That said, maybe I'm too forgiving but I'd have thought the driver might have to deal with a much bigger blind spot than a bus driver or smaller truck would have due to the raised cabin, maybe I'm wrong there. Squeezing into the bus lane like that though was downright dangerous.

I think replacing the bike brakes last night must have been the best timed decision I've ever made in my 8 years of commute cycling. I almost decided not to bother last night as I was wrecked, and I could well be missing a set of teeth and severe facial injuries right now from that first near miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

As the other poster said, you'd be fairly snookered stuck between that parked black jeep and the truck if you'd been slightly further ahead. Rathmines is scary, I cut through there the last day thinking it would be a more pleasant cycle than along the canal and I will never do that again.

I love the area itself for its pubs, nightlife, the Stella cinema and its history, but it's a disaster in terms of traffic and an absolute skidmark on my commute each morning and back in the evenings - crowded, poor road conditions, cars, taxis and vans parked in the cycle lanes on both sides, vehicles pulling out from sidestreets into the cycling lanes, jaywalkers... often I see up to 6 or 7 buses backed up behind one another in the shared cycling & bus lane. I'd love to avoid the place but left with little choice as it's the most direct route into work and Harold's Cross is no better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

My commute is generally fairly uneventful (Maynooth to Mulhuddart) but this morning a white van realised half way through overtaking me that there was a lorry coming the other way. Instead of braking and getting back in behind me for the 5 seconds he would have had to wait before being able to safely overtake, he floored it whilst swerving back in. I hope he scared the sh*t out of himself as much as he scared the sh*t out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I must be missing something here because what I see is you cycling too close to the back of a vehicle when you can't see ahead.

I am a cyclist and I wouldn't get the close for the very reason they could suddenly stop or slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Lombard St heading South from City quay, past Windjammer pub to Pearse St. I'm in right lane as I will be turning R at Pearse St. There's a contraflow bike lane just to my right, and I'm in the "car" lane. Taxi overtakes on my left, aggressively close. Of course he has to stop at the light, less than 50m away. Has window rolled down as I approach. I draw up beside him (encroaching into the empty contraflow lane in order to speak to him)and he points at the contraflow.

"That's the bus lane, the red one. You were on the black". I point to the arrows and tell him it's a contraflow lane, I'm not supposed to be in it. (Didn't have time to make the point that it's not remotely wide enough to be a "bus" lane")

"Well why are you in it now, then?", he says, delighted with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Really despise the commute through Rathmines every day. Had two unusually close calls there this morning with the dump truck

you look like you never actually undertook the truck which probably means you were in the blind spot all the time it was alongside you.

I know it's up to the driver to be sure there's no-one in the bus lane before entering it but really you just need to be away from those trucks as assuming the driver knows your there won't end good.

IMO those trucks shouldn't be on the road in the city centre during rush hour and also shouldn't have a blind spot but that's not going to happen any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I must be missing something here because what I see is you cycling too close to the back of a vehicle when you can't see ahead.

I am a cyclist and I wouldn't get the close for the very reason they could suddenly stop or slow.

Did you even read his post? He literally acknowledged that he was too close.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Glad you take responsibility for that, as alas, it is no ones fault but your own. Nearly happened to me a few times, and I hold my hands up, completely my fauly every time.
    I would have said it was worse, if you didn't slow, you were getting flattened. Plenty of vehicles just behind you who should have beeped and for those who said you were in the blind spot, if the driver had used his mirrors earlier, you weren't and he should have been aware of the potential, really poor driving all round by him.
    I would have sh1t myself if I couldn't see it, sounds like a gun going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Did you even read his post? He literally acknowledged that he was too close.

Ok so I did miss something which you could have simply said

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Ok so I did miss something which you could have simply said

Eh I think that’s exactly what I did. I asked you did you read his post and explained what he said. No more no less.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Unless one of ye are going to close pass the other*, can ye keep the squabbling away from the thread.

*post the video if so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

I am guessing that this is the right thread for this.

I had a pretty terrifying experience recently while out on my road bike. I was on a fast section of a relatively main road, would have been doing high 30's Kph I guess. I had the road to myself at this moment with no other traffic about. There were two young girls (I guess about 10 years old) on the footpath ahead of me, with their backs to me, and skipping along etc in the same direction as me. The footpath was also isolated from the road by a meter or so of grass.

Just as I was about to pass them, for God only knows what reason, they both suddenly turned 90 degrees without warning or looking and headed straight out onto the middle of the road and right into my path. I slammed on the brakes and veered, and just really barely managed to avoid hitting them. I can only assume that they heard no traffic approaching and assumed it was OK to just run out onto the road.

I'm usually fairly aware of my surroundings when out on the bike, but for some reason I had a feeling when I saw these two that they were going to do something like this. Shook me up a bit, if they had crossed a second or so later and I had no time to react then I would have wiped them out completely ....

• Advertisement

As terrifying as it was, the same as when your in a car, you have to be ready for others to be complete idiots. Schoolkids step out all the time in front of me. Only advise is to slow down when passing pedestrians and where possible, move out further into the road. Also have your shouty voice ready to waken them up.

True, I am quite vigilant as it is but this episode thought me to lay off the gas a bit.

That said, if it had been an electric car coming at 60 kph (and there are more and more of them around where I live) there is no way they would have heard it either I would say.

I had tried talking to them after the incident (in a 'jesus ye need to be more careful' way and not cursing them out of it) but the just did not even bat an eyelid and just headed on, I do not think they even comprehended that they did anything wrong. I actually toyed with the idea briefly of following them (assuming they were heading home) and speaking to their parents, but it quickly dawned on me that I was very likely going to be the bad guy in all of this in any case, so just got my breath back and headed on my way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

skallywag wrote: »
    That said, if it had been an electric car coming at 60 kph (and there are more and more of them around where I live) there is no way they would have heard it either I would say.
    i suspect at 60km/h, the tyre noise would be louder than a petrold/diesel car engine?

i suspect at 60km/h, the tyre noise would be louder than a petrold/diesel car engine?

True I suppose. I find with the eCars though it depends a lot on the on the wind direction too, if you have a reasonable wind blowing into your face as you walk along you can be quite surprised when they whoosh by from behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Could just be me, but I don't think the "Funeh" in the thread title is appropriate.

skallywag wrote: »
    True I suppose. I find with the eCars though it depends a lot on the on the wind direction too, if you have a reasonable wind blowing into your face as you walk along you can be quite surprised when they whoosh by from behind you.

I've had that a few times both on the bike and walking with traffic on the path. During the summer a fella beeped me and waved to apologise as it was obvious I got startled by his sudden stealth appearance behind me while waiting for a green :D

Could just be me, but I don't think the "Funeh" in the thread title is appropriate.

What would you rather it be replaced with?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Check out how the driver emerging from the side road waits for the cyclist up front in hi-vis to get nice and close before pulling out

https://streamable.com/8ktka

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

I find Amiens Street, (the side where The Brew Dock pub is) very bad for close passes and left hooks. Namely taxis as it's a hot spot for fares. I was on my way home this evening and was close passed by a taxi and then shortly after left hooked into the kerb so he could pick up a passenger.

Window came down after I knocked his window and I politely asked if he saw me, to which he said he did and proceeded to shout at me to just "go around". I was boxed in at this point and had to literally lift over onto the kerb. I asked if he had ever ridden a bike before(to which he said he did), to simply just "go around" would require me to make a fast and dangerous maneuver into another lane so I had no choice but to slam on the brakes and hope he didn't squash me into the kerb.

What annoys me more is the sheer ignorance and aggressiveness some taxi drivers exhibit on the roads to other users.

• Advertisement

Check out how the driver emerging from the side road waits for the cyclist up front in hi-vis to get nice and close before pulling out

https://streamable.com/8ktka

Its nowt to do with the cyclist, they simply do not see them. They are waiting for the other car too pass, it would not matter where the cyclist was, they would have pulled out if the cyclist was right in front of them, don't give them the credit of it being intentional, they are not that observant.

Stuff like this should be one point away from losing a license and a hefty fine.

Advertisement