Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Launch scrubbed due to weather. Next opportunity Saturday at 22.07 Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭josip

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Launch scrubbed due to weather. Next opportunity Saturday at 22.07 Irish time.

They postponed because of the overcast sky over Ireland?

josip wrote: »
    They postponed because of the overcast sky over Ireland?

Yeah, sound lads at Spacex.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

06/03/2017 21:42

T-minus 25 minutes and counting.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/06/01/spacex-crs-11-mission-status-center/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

launch now live on http://www.spacex.com/webcast

and it's raining here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

how long before it pass over?

Touchdown of stage 1

5 mins ?

Didn't see it. Clear sky but think it was still a bit too bright to pick it out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Beautiful view of it passing over from Waterford. Always a thing of beauty. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I've never thought of spotting it in the sky over here. I give it a try next time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

padyjoe wrote: »
    I've never thought of spotting it in the sky over here. I give it a try next time.

Neither did I. I thought with the curvature of the earth it would be impossible. The payload usually goes over mid Africa I think

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Stan27 wrote: »
    Neither did I. I thought with the curvature of the earth it would be impossible. The payload usually goes over mid Africa I think

It depends on the payload. No launch is visible from Ireland because as you point out the curvature of the earth blocks any view towards Florida, either way the launch itself is well over long before it reaches Ireland. What we see is the payload after separation from the rocket in orbit passing overhead. A lot of the launches from Florida with satellites do head southeast towards the equator so will pass over Africa but payloads for the ISS launch northeast placing the satellite into an orbit that passes over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Beeker wrote: »
    It depends on the payload. No launch is visible from Ireland because as you point out the curvature of the earth blocks any view towards Florida, either way the launch itself is well over long before it reaches Ireland. What we see is the payload after separation from the rocket in orbit passing overhead. A lot of the launches from Florida with satellites do head southeast towards the equator so will pass over Africa but payloads for the ISS launch northeast placing the satellite into an orbit that passes over Ireland.

did we not see the external fuel tank and shuttle over ireland a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yep, we've seen resupply missions chasing the ISS loads of times aswell, it happens.

Falcon9 going again in 8 minutes with a comm satellite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Broadcasting live on SpaceX channel on youtube now.

Stage 1 has landed on the droneship already. Some achievement. Again. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

That was one toasty landing! Doesn't look they will be able to try out the 'roomba' this time. The engine bells look like almost touching the deck of OCISLY. Can't wait for the on-board footage from the barge to be released.

Next one Sunday from Vandenberg.

• Advertisement

Spot on Stage 1 landing. And the video feed didn't drop that much this time, the onboard camera clearly showed as the engine touched down on the target.
    My mind blown. This never gets old. Me very likey rockets! :-)

The lack of ablative coating on the new titanium grid fins helps with keeping the camera lens clean. The previous fins used a white thermal protective coating over the aluminium that got blasted off during reentry (hence the 'ablative' in the description) and deposited right onto the camera lens.

Looked like a hard landing, the legs appear to be very compressed and there is very little clearance from the bells to the deck. Given the state of the seas there it's impressive that it landed at all! The roll in the video was the worst I've seen on a Falcon landing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,950 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Nope, that's an old one (CRS-8?). The latest two haven't been released yet. Also, I don't think they had airborne cameras for the landings this time. That's usually done by NASA chase planes for NASA missions (CRS, respectively).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,950 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Nope, that's an old one (CRS-8?). The latest two haven't been released yet. Also, I don't think they had airborne cameras for the landings this time. That's usually done by NASA chase planes for NASA missions (CRS, respectively).

Well that explains why sea looked rougher. Probably saw the video before myself

Really getting to the stage where all rockets are expected to land now.
    Regarding the rocket that was disposed last Monday, the new version block 5 comes at the end of the year, there should be no more wasted falcon 9 cores.

Heavy launching November !!!

josip wrote: »
    It took a long time , but the USAF finally got their Dyan-Soar after manned space was given to NASA :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-20_Dyna-Soar

• Advertisement

I just read that they're going to remove the landing legs from the Falcon 9.
    ...with its perfection of its Falcon 9 first stage landings to the point where the next mod of the rocket will eliminate the landing legs

Advertisement