Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

• 11-11-2015 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Any opinions on this, I've got 8000 gold circle points and Aer Lingus have given me the option of spending them on BT or Arnotts gift card, so I'd get a €400 gift card. I was thinking of doing it as I don't ever seem to see a good deal to book flights with the points, i earn the points through work and for the 3 personal flights I've had this year Ryanair have been the cheapest.

But my suspicious mind wonders why Aer lingus offer the gift card, has anybody found a really good way of using their points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭xabi

I used mine to get a BT gift card, around 500 Euro. It was either use them or lose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Faced a similar issue a number of years back. Couldn't spend my points on free flights no matter how hard I tried. I even rang them up and asked if they had any random free flight to any random destination available and they said no. GC is a joke compared to other FF programs. Cashing them in for BT Vouchers is the best outcome. Used mine to buy a nice set of Samsonite Luggage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

irlrobins wrote: »
    Faced a similar issue a number of years back. ..................................... GC is a joke compared to other FF programs. Cashing them in for BT Vouchers is the best outcome. Used mine to buy a nice set of Samsonite Luggage.
    Nice deal for yourself.

With the Gold Circle program soon to be ended and replaced by AerClub it might be interesting to see if you must use existing GC points or can you convert them to Avio's to use with AerClub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Is there any point in joining these schemes?

Suppose I book British Airways Shannon to LA, price is €XXX

If I go on kayak.com for example there is always some random airline / online travel agent option which comes in way less than booking directly with British Airways, often putting you on a BA flight but somebody else sold the ticket, so I don't think you can claim any points (or can you)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

elastico wrote: »
    Is there any point in joining these schemes?

Suppose I book British Airways Shannon to LA, price is €XXX

If I go on kayak.com for example there is always some random airline / online travel agent option which comes in way less than booking directly with British Airways, often putting you on a BA flight but somebody else sold the ticket, so I don't think you can claim any points (or can you)

I think if you were spending your own money then nobody would be joining these clubs, but I get the points for work and I'll always choose Aer lingus over the likes of ryanair if work is paying for it.

I think I'll cash in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

In Sweden they have started taxing people who use air miles earned through work travel for private trips. What a dose!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fits wrote: »
    In Sweden they have started taxing people who use air miles earned through work travel for private trips. What a dose!

Sssh, don't be giving Revenue ideas!

(I had some very cheap holidays with work-earned Radisson points, One4All cards from Best Western, used Subway/Boots/Applegreen points on myself and I certainly never gave the fleet manager my Topaz muffins from their scheme...)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eusap

I gave up a long time ago trying to use GC points for Flights the last 3-4 years i have used them for BT vouchers. Very handy if you like Nespresso, AL have paid for my coffee addiction for the last few years :)

If you look online you can also use your points for some small gifts http://www.tnsdistribution.com/aerlingus/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

L1011 wrote: »
    Sssh, don't be giving Revenue ideas!

(I had some very cheap holidays with work-earned Radisson points, One4All cards from Best Western, used Subway/Boots/Applegreen points on myself and I certainly never gave the fleet manager my Topaz muffins from their scheme...)

From revenue.ie:
    Q: As part of frequent air travel by its employees an entitlement will frequently arise to air miles. Often such entitlements are left by the employer to the employee for use at his / her discretion. While the entitlements arise on foot of travel expenditure incurred by the employer, a cost does not arise for the employer in relation to the provision of this benefit due to the air miles / TAB points having no cost. Does a taxable benefit arise in these circumstances?
    A: PAYE / PRSI need not be applied to the benefit arising to employees in such circumstances.

Yep, got some nice free hotel stays using my Hilton points. Paris, Vienna, Prague and Budapest. 5* Hotels with access to executive lounge for free drinks, all for nothing. The one advantage from the weekly commute to UK.

Flying to states for work these days with United. Already getting much more benefits with their FF than I ever did with GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If you fly with Aer Lingus, can you put the miles on say United's Mileage Plus? Or American's AAdvantage?

I'm around 10,000 with both of those, and am trying to figure out what way to go with GC now (only 550 points at moment) - all I really care about is ease at the airport and in the air - the other free miles don't interest so much...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Redeem but not earn for mileage plus and currently neither for aadvantage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I've used mine a good few times - upgrades on transatlantic flights and also used them for flights to the US and Paris for my wife. You need to book well in advance though > 2 months and are better ringing them up than trying online. Also used them for vouchers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Best option (value) for me using GC points was to use 4,000 for a one way upgrade to America, did it 3/4 times, but seeing as how I haven't been to America in 4 years, and have almost 9,000 points, the BT vouchers are a great option,
    (I also got a nice 750GB portable HD (in Apple's brushed aluminium style) last year using points)
    although I'm planning a trip stateside next year, so am in 2 minds as to what to do, wondering how it will go with the switchover to Avios and will upgrades roughly be the same cost/value

Also, Aer Lingus are terrible at telling you about points about to expire (smallest of small print at the bottom of your GC statement)

BT vouchers are good though, nice little additional Christmas present for herself, at no additional cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Tenger wrote: »
    Nice deal for yourself.

With the Gold Circle program soon to be ended and replaced by AerClub it might be interesting to see if you must use existing GC points or can you convert them to Avio's to use with AerClub.

I have a funny feeling Aer Club is going to be a load of sh1te. Firstly it appears you won't be able to transfer existing BA Avios points over. AL are silent about future Avios points.

Anyway, it's starting already. I have a GC card and never really get value for points. I see the value in using the GC queue to check in, fast track security and the lounge. Now, AL are only allowing the cardholder through fast track security - was travelling with my husband the other day and he had to go through regular security- and I wouldn't be surprised if soon you won't be able to bring a guest into the lounge.

I don't really have good feelings towards AL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Now, AL are only allowing the cardholder through fast track security

Er, what...? I go through that facility all the time with my partner, so if there's a change there it's very recent (and hasn't been announced anywhere).

I've just posted on the Aer Lingus Facebook page to ask...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Best option (value) for me using GC points was to use 4,000 for a one way upgrade to America, did it 3/4 times, but seeing as how I haven't been to America in 4 years, and have almost 9,000 points, the BT vouchers are a great option,
    (I also got a nice 750GB portable HD (in Apple's brushed aluminium style) last year using points)
    although I'm planning a trip stateside next year, so am in 2 minds as to what to do, wondering how it will go with the switchover to Avios and will upgrades roughly be the same cost/value

Also, Aer Lingus are terrible at telling you about points about to expire (smallest of small print at the bottom of your GC statement)

BT vouchers are good though, nice little additional Christmas present for herself, at no additional cost.

This annoys the hell out of me - I can't seem to find anywhere when my points will expire - I'll take the vouchers if they expire next year but not sure...

Noxegon wrote: »
    Er, what...? I go through that facility all the time with my partner, so if there's a change there it's very recent (and hasn't been announced anywhere).

I've just posted on the Aer Lingus Facebook page to ask...

Yep it's new. We flew through on Friday and were told. In fairness to the security men, they were very nice about it.

Never had a problem before.

Good job, AL. Great way to maintain customer loyalty.

Yep it's new. We flew through on Friday and were told. In fairness to the security men, they were very nice about it.

Never had a problem before.

Good job, AL. Great way to maintain customer loyalty.

I'm calling BS on this one! Change the the policy with no announcement??

Last week I flew DUB-LHR and back and brought my partner through fast pass on both trips, and also accessed the lounges on both sides and nobody said nout to me about not being able to bring a guest through!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Last week I flew DUB-LHR and back and brought my partner through fast pass on both trips, and also accessed the lounges on both sides and nobody said nout to me about not being able to bring a guest through!

Not surprised Andy... Can't remember which airport I was flying through recently but went to go through the fast pass lane as usual and was told that Aer Lingus were no longer offering the fast pass service in the airport...

On a slightly different topic I was flying LHR-ORK last week and in the usual mid flight announcement the pilot started saying that the plane was probably a little messier than usual but that as part of a new policy in Aer Lingus the crew weren't to tidy the plane in between sectors. Has anyone else heard this?

Whatever you say. I guess I must have imagined the whole indicent three days ago then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

lfc200 wrote: »
    On a slightly different topic I was flying LHR-ORK last week and in the usual mid flight announcement the pilot started saying that the plane was probably a little messier than usual but that as part of a new policy in Aer Lingus the crew weren't to tidy the plane in between sectors. Has anyone else heard this?
    I read it elsewhere, EI have ended cleaning at destination. Apparently its an attempt to improve punctuality by shortening turning the aircraft around.
    Shorthaul aircraft cabin only cleaned in DUB,SNN or ORK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Whatever you say. I guess I must have imagined the whole indicent three days ago then :rolleyes:

Not saying you imagined it, but straight from the horse's mouth...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Probably security staff getting it mixed up with the rules of the DAA fast track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I decided to spend 4000 points on a whim while standing at check-in for the DUB-ORD flight on Friday last. Early Xmas present to myself I suppose. I've a funny feeling the conversion rate to Avios will leave us all underwhelmed, so was happy to finally get something useful out of GC, other than the usual lounge access & priority boarding.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I decided to spend 4000 points on a whim while standing at check-in for the DUB-ORD flight on Friday last. Early Xmas present to myself I suppose. I've a funny feeling the conversion rate to Avios will leave us all underwhelmed, so was happy to finally get something useful out of GC, other than the usual lounge access & priority boarding.

I'm thinking similar, as in cashing them in for Brown Thomas or Arrnots vouchers,

But at the same time, don't want my sudden lack of points to affect my entry into Aer Club, as a ton on points in the bank could see me into a higher tier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I'm thinking similar, as in cashing them in for Brown Thomas or Arrnots vouchers,

But at the same time, don't want my sudden lack of points to affect my entry into Aer Club, as a ton on points in the bank could see me into a higher tier!

Its points earned that matter, there is no need to keep a set balance you can have a balance of 0 and still get Concierge status in Aer Club if you earned enough points in the year before.

Well that is interesting. The security man told me that AL have to pay DAA for each passenger that goes through fast track and were no longer paying for guests. I'll be flying again next week so I will see what happens then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Well that is interesting. The security man told me that AL have to pay DAA for each passenger that goes through fast track and were no longer paying for guests. I'll be flying again next week so I will see what happens then

I'd say it's by card because I've brought a family of 6 through during the summer, no questions asked.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I'd say it's by card because I've brought a family of 6 through during the summer, no questions asked.

I've brought up to four people in at a time and only had trouble this week.

• Advertisement

They do have to pay per pax that uses it; and I'm not sure whether to believe the DAA may have cocked up or EI's twitter staff are in the dark as both are extremely possibly!

Advertisement