Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where you goin' city boy? - the off topic and chat thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Will you sleep any better knowing it could really happen one day...?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll sleep better knowing I'd get out of the river to take a leak. Better safe than de-penis-ised.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Survival-expert-Ray-Mears-helped-track-killer/story-19744355-detail/story.html
    SURVIVAL expert Ray Mears has broken a two-year silence to reveal exclusively to the Echo his role in the manhunt for killer Raoul Moat.

The 49-year-old presenter used his tracking skills to lead Northumbria Police officers towards the armed and dangerous fugitive who was hiding out in woodland near the village of Rothbury in Northumberland.
    “This is the first time I’ve talked about it and it’s because I feel there has been sufficient water under the bridge.

Mears said he had not wanted his involvement in the hunt to be picked up by the press and it is only now, with his autobiography set to be released on September 12, that he feels he can speak about it.

“My concern was that people would think it was a publicity stunt,” he said.

You're right, it does seem like a publicity stunt for your new book, Uncle Ray ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

9 11 round again , was a ccomplete extreme senerario but how would we cope/ act

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

GY A1 wrote: »
    9 11 round again , was a ccomplete extreme senerario but how would we cope/ act
    Our emergency services don't have the equipment man power or training to cope with something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Our emergency services don't have the equipment man power or training to cope with something like that

The equipment is aactually pretty good, and the staff are brilliant but something like that is catastrophic,
    The emergency services here are over stretched but co omitted

GY A1 wrote: »
    The equipment is aactually pretty good, and the staff are brilliant but something like that is catastrophic,
    The emergency services here are over stretched but co omitted

Equipment isn't that good all over I've lots of friends in the emergency services and seen them having to use old equipment for day to day use. And I agree all members are very committed. 3 years ago was the first time Dublin ems trained on evacuating a train away from a platform. Members would try to cope but I don't see it and that will be because of bad management by our government of the day. In my opinion health care hospitals and ems need a major increase in funds so they can increase members and training. As it is if a house fire was called in 8 members 2 tenders and chief arrived now you get 4 members and 1 tender due to cuts

This is the kind of thing thats happening to our emergency services today
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/woman-died-after-two-hour-wait-in-rain-for-fire-crew-due-to-hse-protocol-242780.html
    Train yourself and your family as much as you possibly can because it will get worse before it gets better

Protocol bull****. Where is the practicality in these instances?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Protocol bull****. Where is the practicality in these instances?
    It's like everything else to someone that doesn't have a clue it looks great on paper but for the people on the ground it makes no sence

• Advertisement

How to make your own tire sandals
    http://www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Howarye folks, back for a visit after self imposed exile considering how much time this place was taking up! Good to see the forum is still rocking.

I've been trekking around the west over the glorious summer, things I've learned:

- Pencil toppers are handy for making tinder shavings from twigs if you couldn't be arsed feathering and have run out of other stuff.
    - Firesteels corrode like nobody's business in salt water, and this includes leaving them next to your skin while you sweat profusely. Varnish them when not in use and keep them away from your skin and obviously salt water. Plain water is fine.
    - I got a six inch long half inch wide firesteel blank and strung a paracord handle on the middle of it, double constriction + shoelace knots, the lesson learned there was to use the right size and shape of striker. The proforce one was too large and cause spitting too early, a plain long dog tag one built up a residue and quickly became useless, the small light my fire striker worked great though, the tooth size fit the width of the monster blank nicely.
    - Making feather sticks from hard dry garden bush cuttings is not going to happen, too knotty and a grain like a street map of Bangalore.

My project over the next while is to put a mirror finish on my caledonian edge skean dubh, since the finish and the edge got banjaxed with use over the summer. It's fairly tightly engineered so I'll be proceeding with caution.

Good man Doc, welcome back.

For the prepper who has everything

AK47 Ice Cube Tray

nov014_ak41_bullet_ice_tray_3.jpg

http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/ak-bullet-ice-cube-tray.html

Man breaks into a house and pours boiling water over the people while they slept
    :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.thejournal.ie/galway-attack-boiling-water-couple-1099729-Sep2013/?utm_source=twitter_self

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Man breaks into a house and pours boiling water over the people while they slept
    :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.thejournal.ie/galway-attack-boiling-water-couple-1099729-Sep2013/?utm_source=twitter_self

Ah here. What the actual f*ck like? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

They should have gotten a dog!

Khannie wrote: »
    Ah here. What the actual f*ck like? :/
    Im hiding the kettle

For anyone who has seen the movie 'Into the Wild' or read the book, there's a update to the story with what is believed to be the ultimate fate of Christopher McCandless

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/09/how-chris-mccandless-died.html

This is a movement that seems popular within the prepper community in the States. http://oathkeepers.org/oath/

The American's have such a different perspective on citizenship to Irish (and probably Europeans in general) so it can be hard to get your head around the depth of feeling on this, but it's certainly worth a read through, some interesting points of view.

• Advertisement

Interesting reading. That's a lot of passion.

It took a bit of finding, but here's the bio of the group
    Oath Keepers is a non partisan association of currently serving military, peace officers, fire-fighters, and veterans who will fulfill our oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, so help us God.

Our oath is to the Constitution, not to the politicians, and not to any political party. In the long-standing tradition of the U.S. military, we are apolitical. We don’t care if unlawful orders come from a Democrat or a Republican, or if the violation is bi-partisan. We will not obey unconstitutional (and thus unlawful) and immoral orders, such as orders to disarm the American people or to place them under martial law. We won’t “just follow orders.” Our motto: “Not on Our Watch!” or to put it even more succinctly, in the words of 101st Airborne Commander General Anthony McAuliffe at the Battle of the Bulge, “NUTS!”

There is at this time a debate within the ranks of the military regarding their oath. Some mistakenly believe they must follow any order the President issues. But many others do understand that their loyalty is to the Constitution and to the people, and understand what that means.

The mission of Oath Keepers is to vastly increase their numbers.

We are in a battle for the hearts and minds of our own troops.

Help us win it.

Dodgy ground for serving military personnel surely, could stray into the realm of treason?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

This article from that website struck a chord with me as it's pretty much what I'll be planning to do (albeit not living there permanently).
    http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2013/09/28/the-epa-takes-an-ax-to-self-sufficiency-most-woodburning-stoves-will-soon-be-illegal/

It smacks of something our own 'govt' would dream up and use as yet another stealth tax.

Away from the bubble gum TV and the loud, flashing, gnawing perceptions of America and Americans we're force fed, there are decent, stand up Americans depicted on sites and within groups like this. I take my hat off to them and swear to jaysus Christ that when I hold the deeds to my land, me, my family and any like minded people who wish to join us for a stay, will be as free as birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Boozy feral pig who found fame after getting drunk on stolen beer and starting fight with innocent cow dies in car accident.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/boozy-feral-pig-who-found-fame-after-getting-drunk-on-stolen-beer-and-starting-a-fight-with-an-innocent-cow-dies-in-car-accident-29640071.html

R.I.P Swino :D.

A couple have been ordered to demolish their eco-home they built without planning permission as they tried to live the 'Good Life'

Daniel and Lora Newman put a two-bedroom wooden cabin in their field as they attempted to support themselves from the land.

But the couple from Cornwall did not apply for planning permission before building ,so were told to tear it down.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2474874/Daniel-Lora-Newman-ordered-tear-home-built-permission.html

wolfeye wrote: »
    A couple have been ordered to demolish their eco-home they built without planning permission as they tried to live the 'Good Life'

Daniel and Lora Newman put a two-bedroom wooden cabin in their field as they attempted to support themselves from the land.

But the couple from Cornwall did not apply for planning permission before building ,so were told to tear it down.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2474874/Daniel-Lora-Newman-ordered-tear-home-built-permission.html
    They should have gone with mobile homes their not a fixed structure so you dont need planning permission

It was never going to work out though was it? Against council regulation and with no chance of gaining consent.

3/4 of an acre was also never going to give the self sufficiency though and that would probably have driven them out in the end anyway. Well that and a 330sq ft shed for four people. I know what my mrs would say...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I recently spoke to the planning dept of the county where I'm purchasing my 5 acre agricultural/wooded plot. I asked them for clarification on a few points. Here is what they told me: For a caravan or mobile home I would need planning permission, not only that, but I would also need architects plans of the caravan/mobile home detailing the layout and measurements and the same for the site where the unit would be positioned. I gulped at the prospects and the envisaged expenses. They then informed me that despite going to the effort of getting these plans to supplement an application and forking out lots of money to an architect the likelihood of being awarded permission for a caravan or mobile home was extremely low. I didn't even bother asking about a log cabin as I then knew what I'd be told.

So, not one for arguing politics over the phone and not in the mood to try and get the person to re-design the system into a utopian blue print that would fit my needs (I prefer to have such debates over a pint and a plate of dinner) I then hit them with the following questions:
    "Does the permission to camp on agri land for 10 days mean 10 days per year? Or camp for 10 days, leave for a day and then return to begin a consecutive 10 days?"
    The reply they gave was to inform me that "Nobody was going to prohibit me from camping on my own land as long as I didn't make it look like the Electric Picnic."
    A little bit vague, I know, but a thaw in the ice at least.
    I then upped the cheekiness a gear and asked. "Well, what if I had loads of work to do and needed to put up sheds, you know, like, large sheds, and I wanted to drive a camper van onto the site and I had to stay there for quite a while?"
    They said "A camper van would be fine."
    I then asked (I know...I was beginning to push my luck!)..."Well what if the roof caved in on my camper van and I had to sleep in one of the large sheds?"
    I held my breath to stifle the chuckle that was trying to escape but I think the desk-bot sensed it and to my surprise laughed a little. "Well, we wouldn't know, would we?" They proclaimed.

The points I gleaned from this conversation was that if you plonk a cabin in the middle of a field and live there in quite an obvious manner, then, like it or loathe it, you're gonna draw attention to yourself, but be discreet and sensible and respectful of the 'laws' and don't actually live there, then you may be OK. Please note: This is MY understanding of the conversation I had and whilst sort of/kind of encouraging, it should be said that there is still the possibility that you could erect a tent on your land and be chased off by guys in suits waving clip boards at you. Hope I've made sense in this post :-)

• Advertisement

I know of one "cabin" in a forest in Wicklow that has been sitting quietly for over a decade and the owner and builder lives there in peace and solitude. There is just no guarantee that it will remain so.

Advertisement