Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe and Keith breakfast show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

They really aren't. Steve Conway was one of the best DJs on Irish radio (and I'm delighted to see that he's doing a show on Simon Maher's new venture), these two clowns aren't fit to tie his shoelaces.

Simon Maher's new venture? Tell me more!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Barna77 wrote: »
    Wow, if I ever have children I wish my boss was so sound to give me holidays every time there's a school break :pac:

It's hardly unusual :confused: They're entitled to their holidays, plenty of parents try and take time off work during school midterms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

MCMLXXV wrote: »

I to would like an elaboration, I've got a Steve Conway shaped hole in my heart that i'd like to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I to would like an elaboration, I've got a Steve Conway shaped hole in my heart that i'd like to fill.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/8radio-com-841241-Mar2013/

The comments reflect the same sentiment as here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

I actually don't think that J&C are that bad but judging by the comments here - I'm in the minority though which is fair enoughj.

What I will agree on though is that in my opinion the station is taking a big step towards catering for the Spin FM type teeny boopper market..

Fennel and and his sidekick actually interviewed Chico (from Xfactor) yesterday...?? Seriously WTF???

It stopped me listneing for the rest of the week anyway.

What do you guys see as an improevment though? Once they start changing - its hard to settle on something that works

• Advertisement

Excellent. Best of luck to them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ciaran

They're up and running on 8radio.com for a month or so at least. Just music though, no DJs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

J & K are on holidays for a while and Orla D is doing a great job just banging out some great music in the morning.
    Wish they'd just leave her there now!
    I'll be switching once those 2 get back...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

whiskeyman wrote: »
    J & K are on holidays for a while and Orla D is doing a great job just banging out some great music in the morning.

+1 Only noticed as it came up on Phantom's facebook page that she was on.

Is she on her own or with that other lad she used to present with, Dublin footballer or something?

I think she's a great presenter on her own but get's dragged down by the other chap (can't remember his name). That said, if Orla and your man took over from J&K I would give Phantom another go in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I only heard the show today and she was on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Sensible tactic banging out the tunes.

However when she does talk she's ... a generic female Irish radio presenter ... Like, y'know goooys. Sooooooooo deadly.

Sensible tactic banging out the tunes.

However when she does talk she's ... a generic female Irish radio presenter ... Like, y'know goooys. Sooooooooo deadly.

she's still a lot better than the existing format of the show!

she's still a lot better than the existing format of the show!

She and Fennell have filled in before. They're equally awful to Joe and Keith in slightly different ways.

She and Fennell have filled in before. They're equally awful to Joe and Keith in slightly different ways.

Thankfully it's just her by herself. This means a heck of a lot more music play than mindless chatter. I agree that the mix of her and Eamonn would wreck my head too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Her and Fennell on together remind me of a teenage girl and boy where the boy is actually a massive tool but the girl thinks he's like so totally cool and laughs hysterically at everything he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Joe and Keith remain the very worse thing on Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Joe and Keith remain the very worse thing on Irish radio.

I think typos are the worst things ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

I think typos are the worst things ever.

True.
    Their show is notorious for them too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i've been late for work most of the last 2 weeks as i've actually lay in bed listening to the tunes instead of jumping out of bed to turn off the 2 gob****es straight away :D
    hope the 2 lads have forgotten their way back to Phantom Towers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Cicconne

Orlagh is a vast improvement on the insufferable buffoons J&C. I really enjoyed tuning into Phantom in the morning over the last fortnight but I will certainly tune out next week when the pair of pathetic clowns return.

Reading through this thread somebody mentioned 10,000 lost listeners. I can’t find any source online to back that up but anecdotally I know dozens of people who tuned out when J&C are on air but have been listening to Orlagh over the last two weeks.

Time for a change at Phantom?

Surely it’s cheaper to employ one presenter rather than two, not to mention that Orlagh is an infinitely superior broadcaster to them.

Along with that it's good to hear Richie back on in the afternoon instead of Claire Beck. It's been a good week for Phantom. Pity a lot of us will be tuning out again next week. :mad:

back to the ipod plugged into my car radio this week... for the morning anyway.
    That, or Nova. At least they play music!

Isn't Keith the head of programming in Phantom?
    If so, did he pretty much give himself the morning slot?

back to the ipod plugged into my car radio this week...
    That, or Nova. At least they play music!

Isn't Keith the head of programming in Phantom?
    If so, did he pretty much give himself the morning slot?

Yes and yes. Brought his unemployable mate with him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

TBH, I think the problem is the format, not the presenters. The standard 'two people having mad craic' morning thing is not to my tastes. Now honestly, I'm not sure what else would work better. Maybe i just don't like the radio in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yes and yes. Brought his unemployable mate with him too.

Well, Joe used to be the producer on Tom Dunne, actually quite liked his occasional interjections.

Morning show is lowest common denominator [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

TBH, I think the problem is the format, not the presenters. The standard 'two people having mad craic' morning thing is not to my tastes. Now honestly, I'm not sure what else would work better. Maybe i just don't like the radio in the morning.

Joe and Keith just took their show from Spin and updated the playlist. It seems to be focused on secondary school/young college types with their crap, recycled banter and indie-pop chart music (Kodaline, King of Leon, Two Door Cinema Club).
    I'd much rather the two Richies on in the morning. They have the craic, it's light-hearted but it's not nearly as grating as J&K.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

No it's definitely the presenters. Their 'banter' is just inane. When they started out the music was crap; it has improved somewhat but they honestly don't seem to be into music themselves so I presume somebody else is doing it for them.

As for the 'two people having mad craic' format the only people to do this well were Mark and Lard on BBC Radio 1.

I wish the trend for these Irish knob-jocks (foley et al.) would just die out already.

Also, Phantom for the love of god get some music loving regular folk back on in the morning puh-lease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I still miss Sinister Pete doing Pure Morning. Those were the days I used to love waking up to the radio..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Their 'banter' is just inane.
    Not logical enough to call 'banter' Babble/waffle more like.

Advertisement