Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aviation & Aircraft Photo Discussion Thread *Mod Warning Post 1*

Options
  • 01-10-2011 10:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Andrew33 wrote: »
    What's Al Murray doing in that seat?:D

I thought it was Sean Gallagher first :D, flying high for the Presidency?

Lads last warning on this subject, More posts have been moved to the no discussion thread out of the discussion thread.

Anymore photo's posted in the no discussion thread will receive a day ban for each photo posted in here.

How this thread works is you may quote photo's from the no dicussion thread and post them as a quote then this will generate discussion.

This works well in the Airsoft forum and should work just as well here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

RE STICKY PLEASE :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

To keep the Photo thread looking clean I think that like in other forums on boards a Discussion thread would suit.

So if you want to comment on a photo qoute it here.
    Andy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Blue Punto wrote: »
    May I be the 1st

The business end of A320 EI-DEE:D
    6193100081_8cc836b832_z.jpg
    EI-DEE by niallsaviation, on Flickr

As mentioned in the photo thread it does look like Al Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

docklands2020.jpg

Think it's possible?

EDIT: Sorry guys - I shopped an airstrip (potential airport) at Sandymount. That's what we're meant to be looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

The Agogo wrote: »
    Think it's possible?

I'm lost :confused:

I know what I'm meant to look at but not sure why you have brought it up ?

• Advertisement

RE STICKY PLEASE :):)
    Thank you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

How many stops if any does the new Boeing aircraft make and where on its journey from Boeing Field to DUB? Who operates the aircraft on its delivery flight , Boeing or Ryanair crews? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

What are we ment to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Think it's possible?

You'd have more luck extending the runway at Weston! The potential noise alone would have the residents up in arms and would considerably restrict the movements of aircraft even if it did manage to get built.

I did get a good laugh out of it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I was thinking more along the lines of small, single engine, fixed wing aircraft (like Weston). Could generate a lot of tourism (great sights).

Just drew it up for the laugh really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

roundymac wrote: »
    What are we ment to look at?

Small runway located just to the East (right) of Lansdowne Road. Angled south-east/north-west.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

I was thinking more along the lines of small, single engine, fixed wing aircraft (like Weston).

And just like Weston, the residents would be up in arms. It wouldn't matter how small the aircraft were, unless the engines were electric, ie. silent, you wouldn't have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    How many stops if any does the new Boeing aircraft make and where on its journey from Boeing Field to DUB? Who operates the aircraft on its delivery flight , Boeing or Ryanair crews? Thanks...
    awedf wrote: »
    Its a non stop flight, No cargo and no passengers means that they can make it without stopping
    Ryanair

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Someone once tried to tell me they delivered new Ryanair's with the Boeing Dreamlifter....beggars belief really!

Someone once tried to tell me they delivered new Ryanair's with the Boeing Dreamlifter....beggars belief really!

Brillant image in my head!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Why do a few of the regular photo posters not embed their photos in the photo thread? I've stopped bothering to click the links which are just text. Flickr has the facility to use thumbnails so at least we can get some idea before clicking through.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭IrishB.ie

tricky D wrote: »
    Why do a few of the regular photo posters not embed their photos in the photo thread? I've stopped bothering to click the links which are just text. Flickr has the facility to use thumbnails so at least we can get some idea before clicking through.

Wonder if its anything to do with their stats

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭N7777G

I regularly post links to my photos on Flickr and the reason I don't embed the images is because they can be copied from here without my permission.

N7777G wrote: »
    I regularly post links to my photos on Flickr and the reason I don't embed the images is because they can be copied from here without my permission.

I'm amazed at how much that can bother photographers :confused:

Would it not be just better for you to use digital watermarking on your photo's ? There's a lad in the Emergency Services forum that takes photo's of garda cars ect (good ones must I say) and he add's his own watermark to his photo's.

Anybody got any photo's of the A340 in DUB at the moment ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭N7777G

This is the A340 that arrived in Dublin on Monday for painting:-

http://flic.kr/p/7BBBvi

I wonder will it emerge in a revised scheme?

• Advertisement

.....Flickr has the facility to use thumbnails so at least we can get some idea before clicking through.
    Previously you couldn't embed as you needed photobucket account and I couldn't be arsed joining another website. I'll have a try of the flickr.com thumbnails option next time I post. However I always add a description before my photo links. I never liked blind links.

As with Blue Punto below, I often post 2-4 pics from a series of 10 (or 6-8 from 100 in the case of my visit to the Udvar-Hazy centre in Dulles) This allows someone who uses the link to be directed towards a range of photos that they can look at as they like. Embeding 10-15 would seriously clog up the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Tenger wrote: »
    Not my photo, found it on airliners.net. Its an aerial shot of the Boneyard in the Arizona desert. Here is where the US stores all of its scrapped military aircraft.

This image shots a very small section of it but in this shot you can see enough fighter and transports for a sizable airforce, most in partial disassembly however. (10+ C-5, 20+ T-37, 20+ F-5, 8 F-14, 15+ F-15, 15+ F-16, 3+ B-1)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Lockheed-C-5A-Galaxy/1991661/L/

The replacement cost of the C-5's sitting there is in the region of $1.8 billion! Wow!!

IrishB.ie wrote: »
    Wonder if its anything to do with their stats
    Ironically, without a decent idea of what is at the other end, this means visits are lost.
    N7777G wrote: »
    It is trivial to grab photos from sites like Flickr despite things like disabling right-click and the like. This has been covered many times in the photography forum. That argument simply doesn't hold weight.
    Tenger wrote: »
    Previously you couldn't embed as you needed photobucket account and I couldn't be arsed joining another website. I'll have a try of the flickr.com thumbnails option next time I post. However I always add a description before my photo links. I never liked blind links.
    Please do the thumbnails and more of us will look forward to seeing your pics.

[QUOTE=tricky D;

Please do the thumbnails and more of us will look forward to seeing your pics.[/QUOTE]

Posting photos is fine but when like myself I visited Madrid a few weeks ago are you really asking me to post every pic from the set cause you dont want to click on a link.

I post a few from each set with a link "more here" or "the rest here"

And ill do the same for my trip to Amsterdam yesterday

Not at all, but some sort of idea would be very helpful. The 'more here' is a good solution.

You took photos in Madrid, naughty boy;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

You took photos in Madrid, naughty boy;):p

Theres no problem taking pics at Madrid.... The spotters mound there can be a very busy spot at times with groups of spotters from all over Europe visiting...

6137192695_11a9fa0f14_b.jpg
    Madrid by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

Perhaps your thinking of Paris where you need a permit to take pics...

Ah, spotters mound, ok. I was refering to taking photos within the airport grounds which is not permitted, though I was very tempted to do so last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Never seen a problem with that either...
    Usualy there a few taking pics from the cafe or from the walkways from the aircraft and I havent seen anyone stopped........

The upper deck of that 747 doesn't look as long compared to the passenger version.

• Advertisement

The upper deck of that 747 doesn't look as long compared to the passenger version.

No need for it to be long on the -F version. The upper deck houses crew rest and galley facilities for the crew. Thus leaving the entire main deck emtpy for freight.

Advertisement